New to Fly Fishing

tttork73

Reaction score
I am from Wisconsin and am new to fly fishing. I have caught some trout on stocked ponds, but this year I would like to start fishing on creeks and rivers. A lot of the creeks and rivers around me are very wooded and would be hard to cast in. Could anybody give me some advice with the casting and just fishing in general.

~Thanks

williamhj

Reaction score
I'll say welcome to the forum, it's a beautiful state you live in. There will be lots of great advice here related to casting and fishing small streams. I'll say that fishing those streams will cost you a lot of flies and tippet material but it will make you a better caster.

eastfly66

Reaction score
Welcome !

You will find this site to be one of your best resources for advise and information, do not refrain from asking a question. I would recommend that after you get settled on the rod and other gear (This will evolve with time ) when that perfect spring day comes and you hike down to the river, find that perfect spot with pools, undercut banks and runs with nice boulders that large dominant trout are holding behind and than you see 3 or 4 rises ....

This is the time to do nothing at all !

Sit down and watch the rises, what type of rise is it ? Read the water, what is the best way to work it and not spook the fish? What are they feeding on ? Turn over a few rocks and see what is living there. You don't have to know their scientific names but what color are they? size? do they have tails ? how many tails and legs?

A neat little book I got yrs. ago that helps is "Hatch Guide For New England Streams" by Tomas Ames Jr. perhaps they have one for your parts?

Slow down and enjoy the journey and may it be a long and pleasurable one !

Remember the old story?

"There was an old bull and a young bull up on the hill and the young bull says "hey , let run down and .......one of them cows? The old bull says "I got a better idea , lets walk down and ...... them all ":frogdance

L

Liphookedau

Hi & Welcome.
Even though I haven't been to WI maybe one day I will I've Been there done all that & JP has given some good advise & even though Fishing Small Creeks & Rivers can sometimes be a Pain it's Good Fun Getting Caught in Trees & Bushes & negotiating Places when after you return home you wishes you hadn't.
Brian.

diamond rush

Reaction score
If you've got the money, a guided trip is an excellent way to learn how to fish a certain area. Mat over at The Driftless Angler is fantastic, and at $225+tip for a day, a pretty good price for a guide.

Also, you'll lose a lot of flies starting out. Don't worry about it too much.

eastfly66

Reaction score
Also, you'll lose a lot of flies starting out. Don't worry about it too much.
Take up tying too, not only will you learn about the insects and the imitations but you will save a few bucks too. Even if you just tie the simple "must haves" i.e. Hare's ear nymph" you will be saving since you will lose quite a few.

"If your not ticking the bottom and losing a few flies your not in the zone" - Dave WitlocK

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
The others have already given solid advice, so I will just say Welcome to the Forum! You live in a great area for fly fishing, looking forward to reading about your fly fishing adventures.

Larry

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
Wisconsin is a huge state, what parts do you call home?

the driftless area, the sw portion of the state might not be anywhere close to you. if it is close there are many streams with sections of open pasture. those are much easier to cast

what type of fly rod or rods do you have, length and weight, that makes a big difference as to what you should be chasin

if you dont own any fly rods yet, what target species most interests you in regards to fly fishing

wisconsin has great smallmouth rivers that may be the easiest to learn the basics on. typically a bit more casting room, but we also have the finest trout streams in the midwest, some awesome great lakes tribs to chase salmon and steelhead, as well as some great musky water.

id be happy to help point you in the right direction especially if your in an area that i know

diamond rush

Reaction score
typically a bit more casting room, but we also have the finest trout streams in the midwest,
Hailing from Minnesota, I take objection to that! What we lack in quantity, we make up for with increased quality and a DNR devoted to acquiring easements and habitat restoration.

Plus, we have winter trout season. :)

Oh, and one more pointer for the OP:

Weighted size 12 natural and orange scuds are absolutely deadly in the Driftless. Fish them below an indicator deep enough that you're ticking the bottom. Aim for where runs and rapids enter pools and you'll do just fine in the Driftless Region.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

Take up tying too, not only will you learn about the insects and the imitations but you will save a few bucks too. Even if you just tie the simple "must haves" i.e. Hare's ear nymph" you will be saving since you will lose quite a few.

"If your not ticking the bottom and losing a few flies your not in the zone" - Dave WitlocK
The biggest advantage of tying your own flies is that you get to tie them exactly how you want them.

itchmesir

Reaction score
I have to agree with Diamond Rush... I'll take MN waters over Wisconsin any day... Not only do we have winter... Once regular season kicks in all the new seasons and regs kick in... No more barbless... Extended season... State Parks season... And best of all... No more pink lines! Oh then there's the ease of access I believe MN is better at... And a much better mapping system... Lot easier for a beginner angler on this side of the river imho... Like Rush said the DNR here seems to be a little more proactive as well

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
i sure dont want this to become "whos driftless is the best"

IMO its all one great trout fishing mecca

the OP might be from milwaukee and have no idea what the heck we are talking about

diamond rush

Reaction score
IMO its all one great trout fishing mecca
Definitely agree. I wish IA/MN/WI/IL would get together and sell a comprehensive year-long C&R Driftless license complete with trout stamps. I find myself fishing multiple states when I take trips back home depending on season, rainfall, and who I can get to go fishing with me.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
A lot of the creeks and rivers around me are very wooded and would be hard to cast in. Could anybody give me some advice with the casting and just fishing in general.
Sometimes the best way to cast is to not cast at all.

I have a trout brook across the street from my house and the best pool in this stretch is about waist deep but only about 4' across.
There's trees and brush on both sides and a "sweeper" (a downed tree) across the middle.
The only way to fish to this pool is to wade in above it, stick your rod tip in the water down near the bottom and then slip out line a little at a time letting the current take the fly.

This is the prime holding water for this brook so I expect that the largest fish around will be set up in the root ball/undercut below the sweeper.
A 9 inch brookie from this pool is a real trophy !

"My" brook but a bit upstream

Last edited:

tttork73

Reaction score
I am from Western Wisconsin between Eau Claire and La Crosse. Right now I have a 9 ft 5 wt St. Croix rod. I plan to buy a 3 or 4 wt that is shorter this spring.

buddhist_palm

Reaction score
I am from Western Wisconsin between Eau Claire and La Crosse. Right now I have a 9 ft 5 wt St. Croix rod. I plan to buy a 3 or 4 wt that is shorter this spring.
the 5wt should be most excellent for chasing some smallies black river style

for what its worth i fish driftless streams with a 6'6" fly rod in a 3wt. i like that it can cast tight spaces and far enough to cover any driftless creek. some people fish heavier and lighter rods some like longer sticks too, personal choice

your very lucky with where you live and some fine waters within reasonable distance. focus on roll casts for tight quarters, there are days you might not use another type of cast. when all else fails get out on open pasture for some on the water exp.

vernon county stream-

hard to get caught in a back cast here and will give you the chance to let some line fly

siege

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I most enjoy small streams, and love fishing with a variety of rods 7' long and under. The best advice I can offer is to just get out and fish. If you can afford a guide, that's great. If you have an experienced fly fishing friend to go with, it will make learning faster and more fun than just reading and going it alone. But whatever gets you on the water is better than staying home !
One more thing to remember : Everyone on this forum started flyfishing with the same amount of experience you have right now. Feel free to ask questions. There is a wealth of knowledge available here, and is given freely and politely. Enjoy !

tttork73

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the help guys it is really appreciated! I know a guy from my town that made me and one of my friends some flies that knows quite a bit about fly fishing. I will probably talk to him and ask him if he could take us fishing some time.