The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 07:41 PM

calftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to beholdcalftail is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tippet Length / Where to Begin?

I have always tied my own leaders. I use the 60-20-20 formula. Tippets range from 20 to 30 inches depending on the length of the leader. I'm not really that fussy so some where in there works for me.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:17 AM

biscut is on a distinguished road

A lot of great advice offered. Might just start out with a 5x and 4ft tippet and go from there.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:58 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Somewhere over the years I picked up this general rule. It can give you a place to start. If your tippet straightens out, stops in the air and falls to the surface, or springs back towards you-your tippet is too short. If your leader/tippet fails to turn over or falls into a pile, it's too long. When it lays out in a series of gentle S curves, its just right, of course, subject to the speed and roughness of the water.
shortyb likes this.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 01-22-2014, 07:42 PM

biscut is on a distinguished road

JoJer..

Going to put that one away in my noodle. Sounds like that is an excellent approach.