The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 06:33 PM

hopescooter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How would you approach/fish this situation?

So I went back there today, given I had day off. I stopped by that hole first, inspected the stones and saw bunch of stone flies, some quite big and some in larva stage? I decided to try czech nymphing with my tenkara rod, attached a decent sized black stonefly nymph and small scud pattern. But the fish would've none of it, I did sight the fish again, I think that was the only one in that whole. In the end, the fish prevailed, I left to find another hole and good thing I did. Came across a really deep pool, threw a heavy weighted bugger, could barely throw it out 10 yards but that was enough, after one hit and miss it took the bugger and ran off. I was glad I didn't hook it with my tenkara rod but a 6 weight. It was hefty 17-18 incher, my biggest trout on fly rod so far. Back down the canyon again tried a decent pool with tenkara nymphing and got few hits, couple proper hookups but failed to bring the fish in the net. All in all, a very good day(considering I am used to getting skunked), I am kinda liking the czech nymphing with 13 foot tenkara rod.
Some pics.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:26 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopescooter View Post
Here's the photo I grabbed off of google maps, red circle is where the fish sighted.
The photo is in summer and now it is winter with less vegetation.

Is it possible to cast from up and across from a position slightly below the fish to the right side of the fish. Is there enough room, under those overhanging trees to perform an overpowered sidearm cast with a weighted nymph?

This would be a curve cast to the left, essentially a horizontal left tuck cast so the fly curves to the left and lands downstream of the leader. This would allow the fly to sink drag free as the upstream portion of the curved leader and line catches up to the sinking fly. You could add a bit of strike putty or tje leader that is small enough not to interfere with the cast but would allow you to notice a jump of the leader if the fish takes the nymph.

The Sidearm Curve Cast - Casting - American Angler Magazine

Throw Your Fish a Curve | MidCurrent
dwtalso and hopescooter like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-20-2014, 09:51 PM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough

If it was me in that situation I would probably back off, move upstream a ways, and do a downstream presentation. Try and use the current to drift something in front of the fish.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:58 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

Nice fish. I would suggest taking the plastic covering off of the cork. It will feel much better to cast and grip the rod. The cork can be washed with soap and water and/or sanded to keep it clean. Trust me...
Old 01-20-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon View Post
Nice fish. I would suggest taking the plastic covering off of the cork. It will feel much better to cast and grip the rod. The cork can be washed with soap and water and/or sanded to keep it clean. Trust me...
Ya i forgot to take it off fully, it's partially taken off.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

I did take photo of the pool today.
As you can see the current in the riffle is quite fast, before it gets to the pool. I felt I had lot more control of placing the flies where I intended with the longer rod, the added weight of split shot helped too. I was casting from the inner bank in the picture, fished the whole sections in strips of couple feet, but no takes and couple snags at twigs in bottom, lost 2 flies. But i guess that's part of the process.
jbird likes this.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:27 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopescooter View Post
I did take photo of the pool today.

As you can see the current in the riffle is quite fast, before it gets to the pool. I felt I had lot more control of placing the flies where I intended with the longer rod, the added weight of split shot helped too. I was casting from the inner bank in the picture, fished the whole sections in strips of couple feet, but no takes and couple snags at twigs in bottom, lost 2 flies. But i guess that's part of the process.
In any situation there is a single best spot from which to cast. This location depends on whether you can reach that spot and whether you have the necessary skill to make the required cast without detection.

With new photo, you can approach from the left (on the side of the fish) or right (opposite side of the fish) and from above, below or across from the fish. So there are 6 positions from which you can cast to the fish.

Since you want the fly to sink to the level of the fish, the fly must land above the fish and in the feeding lane of the fish. I would use a fly suspended below a strike indicator

The easiest cast would be either from below and across from the right lower side of the photo OR from directly above the fish from the left upper corner of the photo. From the second position you would use a parachute mend followed by stack mends to get the fly to sink to the fish. My third position would be from directly across from the fish on the right side casting up and across so the fly could sink to the level of the fish.

The question I have for you is whether any of those casts can get to where the fish is holding without fouling on the left river bank or an obstruction in the water?
hopescooter likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-21-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
In any situation there is a single best spot from which to cast. This location depends on whether you can reach that spot and whether you have the necessary skill to make the required cast without detection.

With new photo, you can approach from the left (on the side of the fish) or right (opposite side of the fish) and from above, below or across from the fish. So there are 6 positions from which you can cast to the fish.

Since you want the fly to sink to the level of the fish, the fly must land above the fish and in the feeding lane of the fish. I would use a fly suspended below a strike indicator

The easiest cast would be either from below and across from the right lower side of the photo OR from directly above the fish from the left upper corner of the photo. From the second position you would use a parachute mend followed by stack mends to get the fly to sink to the fish. My third position would be from directly across from the fish on the right side casting up and across so the fly could sink to the level of the fish.

The question I have for you is whether any of those casts can get to where the fish is holding without fouling on the left river bank or an obstruction in the water?
I tried the first and 3rd positions, but ya it's hard not to get tangled/caught up in those ice above the water. Couple times I went over, kicked and loosened up the ice hanging over the water and had to free my flies.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:14 PM

myfly is on a distinguished road

Maybe this vid will help a bit.

Mike
attila and hopescooter like this.