The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 10:07 PM

hopescooter will become famous soon enough
Default How would you approach/fish this situation?

So I've been fly fishing for few months now and still learning. On my local river here in Utah couple days ago, I saw a decent fish(either a cutthroat or brown), about 15 incher in the water. So that particular river has pretty fast water flow and the fish was just holding its position at end of a deep bend(4-6 feet). I had a wooly bugger tied at the time so I just casted upstream and let it come by hoping the trout would catch a glimpse of it, but the current made it real hard. The fish was coming in and out of vision, so occasionally would get in deeper water then come back again on shallower water, just by the bank(pretty much right below my feet) and hold its position. I figured if there's one, there's probably others as well and tried a weighted nymph as well, but the current just made it hard to get the fly where I wanted it, had it tangle couple times as well. I guess if I was on other side of river, it would've been easier to manipulate the fly, but it was just frustrating to not be able to beat the current and get real deep in water. Only reason I had wooly bugger too was coz that was the heaviest fly I had, I didn't have any external weights. In the end I moved upstream and just high sticked the fly, trying to guide it past the fish, but it didn't yield anything. Any advice?
Old 01-19-2014, 10:16 PM

tail of the pool is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool
Default Re: How would you approach/fish this situation?

Welcome to Flyfishing Young Jedi

First off there will be some visable fish you will know only as the fish, you will never touch him but you will know him well. That is why it is called fishing and not catching fish.

That being said in your instance I would attempt to fish him right under his nose, slowly using subsequent casts to I reach his lie and continue to drop offerings on his dinner table with a dangle(good pause) at the end.
If that failed I would strip ample off the reel to ensure I am well below him, tie on a sttrike enticing flyBead Head Bugger Mini intruder, Muddler minnow, bunny leetch etc and rip these on the strip through his living room and aggravate the heck out of him until he gave in and took or I got bored and moved on. Sometimes they will just not take. Vary size more than a known pattern as well.

Hope that helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopescooter View Post
So I've been fly fishing for few months now and still learning. On my local river here in Utah couple days ago, I saw a decent fish(either a cutthroat or brown), about 15 incher in the water. So that particular river has pretty fast water flow and the fish was just holding its position at end of a deep bend(4-6 feet). I had a wooly bugger tied at the time so I just casted upstream and let it come by hoping the trout would catch a glimpse of it, but the current made it real hard. The fish was coming in and out of vision, so occasionally would get in deeper water then come back again on shallower water, just by the bank(pretty much right below my feet) and hold its position. I figured if there's one, there's probably others as well and tried a weighted nymph as well, but the current just made it hard to get the fly where I wanted it, had it tangle couple times as well. I guess if I was on other side of river, it would've been easier to manipulate the fly, but it was just frustrating to not be able to beat the current and get real deep in water. Only reason I had wooly bugger too was coz that was the heaviest fly I had, I didn't have any external weights. In the end I moved upstream and just high sticked the fly, trying to guide it past the fish, but it didn't yield anything. Any advice?
I think I fish, in part, because itís an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. ĖJohn Gierach
Old 01-19-2014, 10:16 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a picture of the spot? Had a few thoughts

Do you see the fish feeding? If it moves to deeper water and back again it might be spooked. Moves to deeper water when really spooked, goes off the feed when it is a little spooked? If you're standing on the bank 'above' the fish it might hear/feed the vibrations. Maybe, maybe not but it is something to think about. Watch for the fish feeding before presenting the fly.

Different casting position might be a very good idea. Perhaps get further from the fish and present the fly differently. Personally I might try swinging a heavy streamer through the area from upstream and across.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:29 PM

Here's the photo I grabbed off of google maps, red circle is where the fish sighted.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:32 PM

tail of the pool is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool

Very open, you look like a big eagle to that fish

Stealth Jedi Stealth
fredaevans likes this.
I think I fish, in part, because itís an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. ĖJohn Gierach
Old 01-19-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Do you have a picture of the spot? Had a few thoughts

Do you see the fish feeding? If it moves to deeper water and back again it might be spooked. Moves to deeper water when really spooked, goes off the feed when it is a little spooked? If you're standing on the bank 'above' the fish it might hear/feed the vibrations. Maybe, maybe not but it is something to think about. Watch for the fish feeding before presenting the fly.

Different casting position might be a very good idea. Perhaps get further from the fish and present the fly differently. Personally I might try swinging a heavy streamer through the area from upstream and across.
Ya good point, slowing down and observing first is something I need to make a habit of. Actually I didn't notice the fish until after couple casts.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:34 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

It sounds like the fish was feeding on nymphs based on your description. I think if it were spooked it would have vanished and not come back. You described very typical sub surface feeding behavior. The fish was holding in the current and moving side to side to inspect and/or take food items.

The first thing I would do is start turning over stones at the waters edge to try to identify its food source... ie scuds, mayfly nymphs, stoneflies, etc. Find something in your flybox that matches closely to what you found. (if you don't have it, you now know, go tie/buy a match for the food source and get him next time ). Next, keep your weighted bugger on. this will act as your weight (assuming your reg's allow fishing two flies) Tie abut 18" of tippet to the bend of the bugger hook and tie your nymph to the end. Learn to get a good dead drift by mending your line to present it naturally. you will need to start your drift well above the fish to give your flies time to get down to his depth.

That's how I would do it
imxer likes this.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird View Post
It sounds like the fish was feeding on nymphs based on your description. I think if it were spooked it would have vanished and not come back. You described very typical sub surface feeding behavior. The fish was holding in the current and moving side to side to inspect and/or take food items.

The first thing I would do is start turning over stones at the waters edge to try to identify its food source... ie scuds, mayfly nymphs, stoneflies, etc. Find something in your flybox that matches closely to what you found. (if you don't have it, you now know, go tie/buy a match for the food source and get him next time ). Next, keep your weighted bugger on. this will act as your weight (assuming your reg's allow fishing two flies) Tie abut 18" of tippet to the bend of the bugger hook and tie your nymph to the end. Learn to get a good dead drift by mending your line to present it naturally. you will need to start your drift well above the fish to give your flies time to get down to his depth.

That's how I would do it
Thanks, I am going to give it another try soon. Ya i don't think fish was spooked, coz I was right on top of it and it held its position for few seconds. The water is not the clearest in this stream, hardly any visibility in summer supposedly but but little better in winter. And one curveball, temps were in mid-30s and decent sized chunks of floating ice coming in with the current. Every so often the line would get caught by the floating ice chunk, the fun.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:43 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Just keep trying as mentioned you don't want to Spook The Fish also I'd
try to get in a position where your Fly's Natural Drift will Pass by The Fish & eventually you'll make The perfect Cast with a Fly he likes..
Brian
Old 01-20-2014, 04:58 PM

attila will become famous soon enough

Can you fish it from the other bank ?

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
Can you fish it from the other bank ?
I mean if the fish was right at your feet and you had trouble getting a good drift and so on.....maybe you could improve your position ?