The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 10:46 PM

kingofamberley is on a distinguished road
Default A little past due, but my first trout on the fly

I really started fly fishing hardcore this last year, and the vast majority have been warm water since that is what Ohio (mostly) consists of. However I went on a trout trip in December with an old friend and was rewarded with my first trout on the fly! Chunky 'bow caught on my own hand tied Clouser (that I tied for bass).
Click the image to open in full size.
Also got a couple beautiful identical browns:
Even though they were caught swinging streamers and not nymphing or on dries (or wets), I still feel much more confident in my abilities. More fly fishing adventures await!
Old 01-28-2014, 11:11 PM

cordino is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A little past due, but my first trout on the fly

Nice work! Beautiful fish.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:46 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Wow, really nice fish Trent!

What do you mean they were only caught on streamers That's one of the best ways to catch a trout, the wet fly on the swing, congratulations.

Ard
mcnerney and ia_trouter like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-29-2014, 05:46 AM

ia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of lightia_trouter is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
What do you mean they were only caught on streamers Ard
He said that like he caught it on a nightcrawler lol.

Nice fish Trent!
craigthor and mikey_boots like this.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Wow, really nice fish Trent!

What do you mean they were only caught on streamers That's one of the best ways to catch a trout, the wet fly on the swing, congratulations.

Ard
Thanks! I don't mean any offense by it! But I feel that the smaller presentations require more finesse and patience, both to tie and fish. I had one fish hit a nymph but I guess I tried to horse it like a bass and it came right off of that tiny hook. I have much to learn!

That said, streamer fishing is how my fly fishing adventure began in the warm water, and it is a lot of fun!
barefoot t likes this.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:15 AM

troutfanatic is on a distinguished road

I will take a big old trout crushing a big streamer any day over watching an indicator while nymphing!

Congrats on your first trout on the fly!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:19 AM

pm287 is on a distinguished road

I too fish the Midwest on mainly farm ponds for bass, but have always wanted to stream fish for trout. Last summer, we took our 30 year anniversary trip east and ended up in Lake Placid. Fell in love with lake Placid and going back this year. While there I fished four different times on the Au Sable. The first three I did not land a fish. Although I was getting hits. On the four trip out (last time for the trip) with about an hour left it happened!!!!! I was fishing a wet fly on a dropper below a dry fly. The dry went under (which had happened before.....) and I decided to set the hook. About a ten inch brown. It had to be quite a site see a 53 year old man hooting, laughing, and acting silly over landing a 10" brown

Last edited by pm287; 01-29-2014 at 06:08 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 01-29-2014, 07:22 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

My nymphs stay in the box when they are hitting streamers. I'd much rather strip and swing than watch an indicator. I try streamers first, then high sticking and as a last resort, nymphs under an indicator.

If there is a good opportunity to catch them on a dry fly, forget all the other stuff but I am no means a hardcore dry fisherman like some on here. Still working on my skills to get the right fly and presentation. I love the days when even I can catch them on a dry!

Congrats on a nice first trout. Keep that picture where you won't lose it. You'll want to see that from time to time.
Waterborne likes this.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:40 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your first trout on a fly! Nothing wrong with swinging streamers, especially this time of year when the hatches are almost nonexistent. I love throwing streamers!

Larry

Old 01-29-2014, 12:36 PM

Well now I feel even better about fly fishing! Thanks guys!
mridenour and ia_trouter like this.