The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 01:31 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice
Default Tubefly for resident brown trout

Hi guys !

Here in Europe, trout season is starting soon (in march).

After my Salmon River trip, I have now a switch rod and I started to tie some tube flies

But, before going back on the Salmon River and fishing for steelheads, I'd like to try these flies for brown trouts, in the rivers near my home (Spain and France)

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Any of you are fishing brown trouts with tubes ? how about my patterns, and any recommandations ?

Thanks !
Old 02-14-2014, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tubefly for resident brown trout

Nice flies Ben
ben664 likes this.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:57 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I have not gotten into the tube fly thing yet but am so very close. I can see so many great advantages to it!

Nice flies and thanks for pushing me a hair closer
ben664 likes this.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:59 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Ben, elles semblent bonnes.
jpbfly and ben664 like this.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:18 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice tying Ben, haven't got the bug yet for those things.

Dave
Old 02-14-2014, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Ben,

Take a look in the Spey sub forums here, I posted a pattern in the Flies For Spey Fishing threads called Sunray Shadow. These are of Norwegian origin and are simple to make. They are going to be my fly for this season, trout - salmon, everything. Sunray Shadow;

Ard
jaybo41 and ben664 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-15-2014, 05:38 AM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Ben,

Take a look in the Spey sub forums here, I posted a pattern in the Flies For Spey Fishing threads called Sunray Shadow. These are of Norwegian origin and are simple to make. They are going to be my fly for this season, trout - salmon, everything. Sunray Shadow;

Ard
Very nice fly Ard !

I don't have the smal black/yellow/white feather (I don't remember the name sorry !)

But I have white buck tail and black artic fox. I think Mylar also.... have to check !

Thanks
Old 02-15-2014, 07:13 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Ben,

Great looking flies, I'm sure you will find yourself tight to some trout with those. Ard has tied some really, really nice flies and his suggestion is undoubtedly a great one.

What I've learned about tying and fishing tubes is that streamers are where it's at when it comes to tubes, spey style flies being a close second. The good news is you can pretty much adapt anything you tie on a shank to a tube. Let your creativity take hold and stick with the colors that work and you'll likely be landing fish. It's pretty clear to me that I think you have the idea based on your ties. Well done.
ben664 likes this.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:00 AM

Sure Jaybo.

We have also some sea run brown trout in june, and few atlantic salmons (but I don't want to target it, according to me it's a waste of time here in France but maybe I'm wrong !)

So, I'll target brown trouts, with natural colors flies (olive, brown , white and black) with very few flash.

Just want to try minnow patterns with angel hair when the water is hight and dirty.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:13 AM

interangler is on a distinguished road

You need to perform some actions with extreme level of caution for fishing. For example, you can not switch back once you switched on to this.

Last edited by interangler; 02-28-2014 at 11:32 PM.