The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 03:56 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of
Default 1st overnight'r

We had it very bad this winter and now things are breaking. We sit at 57 and sunny as I type, just back from the first overnighter of the year on the river.

The fishing was excellent and I didn't even set a tent. We hiked in a little more than 2 miles and camped and fished and ate and man was it good to shake some cabin fever!

Click the image to open in full size.

Heading out. The trail runs along the river for 4 miles and our camp is about 2.2 miles up.

The river is low and clear but we have a solid snow pack with some really snowy months ahead. Feels like we will have a good run-off this year.

Lot's of these guys feeding like mad with the warming water temps.

We ate grass fed dry aged beef and fresh sweet corn and spinach and of course, fresh trout. Great trip, great food and great company!
Old 02-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st overnight'r

Looks like a great trip, congrats! Too cold up here in western Wyoming for an overnighter just yet with highs in the low 30's.

Larry

Larry
Old 02-16-2014, 04:15 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

VERY nice,

I saw it was 40 in Breck today and in the 60's in Denver!!

You are making it very hard not to leave now. Problem is the Real Estate market is non-existent in Summit Co. right now....Ahhhhhhh

Great post....Thanks for sharing......and making me jealous!

Jim
Old 02-16-2014, 04:27 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

We have "feet" of snow on the ground and it's only rarely gotten above 20* all winter.
It's good to know that somebody is having fun.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:43 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Oh my gosh youre killin me! That looks like heaven! Things are so frozen and buried in snow here, I don't know if I'll ever see the ground again
christianfishn and craigthor like this.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:52 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Looks awesome!! I couldn't take it any more and went out today, not bad but definitely not great.

Something is wrong with Colorado is warmer then the Midwest haha. its coming though, this week should be it!! Time for heavy flooding now!!!!!1

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-16-2014, 07:58 PM

craigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to beholdcraigthor is a splendid one to behold

Nice, nothing like a walk in camp and fishing spree.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:34 PM

siege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to beholdsiege is a splendid one to behold

Great report and thanks for sharing. We are still living vicariously through reports like this. It may be a few months before we do any open air camping, but the desire is building fast
Old 02-17-2014, 06:39 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the pics and thread. Enjoy it while you're young!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:53 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechem View Post
Thanks for the pics and thread. Enjoy it while you're young!
Thanks Chechem...I am the one taking the pictures and the young lad is my son...Me not so young. Still enjoying it...Hurts a bit more today.