The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By mridenour
  • 1 Post By jbird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 09:21 AM

rjsac09 is on a distinguished road
Default Spring Steelhead

Looking at chasing after some steelhead in a local river system this spring and didn't really know where to start...I have a Sage 8100 rod and am getting a reel rigged up right now. Should I look for a sinking tip line? How many yards of backing do I need to have? What length of leader should I use? What size leader & tippet? Lastly what flies should I tie to give a shot? I have heard that many times it is a reaction strike and guys use spay type flies...do I need to use any special hooks for steelhead?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am a green horn when it comes to anything other than panfish or bass on a fly rod.

Thanks!

Ryan
Old 02-28-2014, 09:31 AM
mridenour

Default Re: Spring Steelhead

First of all, where is your local river system?
Old 02-28-2014, 10:44 AM

Great Lakes Region. Probably going to be fishing St. Joe River and maybe some in Michigan...
Old 02-28-2014, 10:50 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

Theres so much information packed into answering your questions and so many variables, I would recommend googling Fly fishing for great lakes steelhead. Tons of info out there. When you start narrowing down what you want to do, then come ask for specifics. Not at all trying to blow you off, theres just so much information and its well published
fredaevans likes this.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:11 PM

troutluvr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsac09 View Post
Looking at chasing after some steelhead in a local river system this spring and didn't really know where to start...I have a Sage 8100 rod and am getting a reel rigged up right now. Should I look for a sinking tip line? How many yards of backing do I need to have? What length of leader should I use? What size leader & tippet? Lastly what flies should I tie to give a shot? I have heard that many times it is a reaction strike and guys use spay type flies...do I need to use any special hooks for steelhead?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am a green horn when it comes to anything other than panfish or bass on a fly rod.

Thanks!

Ryan

1)I would tie up some egg patterns, hairs ears and pheasant tails
2)Fill your reel with backing, probably 100 yards
3)Start with some 1x leaders, better yet just get a bunch of tippets and make your own, there will be lots of retying, save your tapered leaders for trout. Usually 2-3x tippet is tied to the fly
4)You will need a floating line (WF), don't mess with sink tip
5)Sometimes it's a streamer "reaction strike" better off nymping with an indicator, you will catch a lot more.
6)Your leader with tippets etc. will end up being around 9-10 feet (Thats not really too important)
7)For indicator go for some bigger thingamabbers or thills
8)for weight tie on 2-4 bb sized splits

just a few ideas hope this helps

Last edited by troutluvr; 03-03-2014 at 03:15 PM. Reason: fix the layout of content
Old 03-04-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutluvr View Post
1)I would tie up some egg patterns, hairs ears and pheasant tails
2)Fill your reel with backing, probably 100 yards
3)Start with some 1x leaders, better yet just get a bunch of tippets and make your own, there will be lots of retying, save your tapered leaders for trout. Usually 2-3x tippet is tied to the fly
4)You will need a floating line (WF), don't mess with sink tip
5)Sometimes it's a streamer "reaction strike" better off nymping with an indicator, you will catch a lot more.
6)Your leader with tippets etc. will end up being around 9-10 feet (Thats not really too important)
7)For indicator go for some bigger thingamabbers or thills
8)for weight tie on 2-4 bb sized splits

just a few ideas hope this helps

Definately helps. I have made my own leaders for smallmouth fishing on the river since there can be quite a few hangups. Thanks man!