The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 07:29 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Yesterday at the Current River

I'll give a quick report of yesterday's fishing trip to the Current River. This time there will be some pics.

Click the image to open in full size.

Overall the fishing sucked.

Only one fish was caught and it wasn't by me. Troutn (Rick) caught a nice brown on a size 20 Primrose and Pearl.

A pic showing how many I caught!

This about sums of the trip for me. Been a while since I got skunked.

It was a beautiful day and it was great to get out of the house but I would have sure enjoyed catching a fish. Casted about every fly in the box and I got lots of practice casting and tying knots. It was still a good day and I slept like a log when I hit the sack.

That isn't actually me in the picture. I was going to take a picture of myself sleeping but every time I woke up to do it, I wasn't asleep anymore.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:22 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice
Default Re: Yesterday at the Current River

You were still fishing and there is something to be said for that.... lol. I was on a hike with a bunch of wild Cub Scouts and was daydreaming of holding a rod in my hand all day... What a gorgeous day. I groaned out loud when I heard snow was coming again on Wed. :P
Old 03-10-2014, 08:24 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Yeah. It was as good as a day can get without catching a fish. Not a cloud in the sky and I only had to wear a light jacket and no long johns under the waders. Maybe a few clouds would have helped fishing.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:29 AM

labradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nicelabradorguy is just really nice

You were probably using a furled leader and a tippet ring....Bahahahaa. S&S tried to tell you....
Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 AM

Yep...but my buddy that never uses either only caught one fish. So I figger that I cheated myself out of one fish by using that rig...LOL!

I had gotten downstream of Rick and waited up for him to catch up to me. I was going to try to find out what they were biting because he usually starts catching them there long before I do. When he told me he had caught NO FISH I was flabbergasted. Well, I quickly re-gasted my flabber (I'm pretty sure that failure to do so can be considered littering) and we started digging obscure and overlooked flies from deep inside the most neglected boxes. He managed to coax only one fish to take the midge while I got two quick tugs on some flies I don't even know the names of anymore.

It was a quiet ride home as we listened to the blues on the radio...not the musical blues but the St. Louis Blues...you know the hockey guys. We are going to the game tomorrow night but they have won several in a row so that probably means the ride downtown to watch them lose.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:03 AM

It says a lot about Montauk that you decided to live with a skunk rather than run up there to pick up a few fish... I'll bet it was a circus yesterday.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:25 AM

Usually on Sunday afternoon the park is clearing out. There were more people than I expected but it wasn't too bad and some of the good places inside the park to fish were empty early in the afternoon.

Most weekends people hit it on Sunday morning and then pack up and go home.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:50 AM

I didn't realize you were at the park, I figured you were down the river. Wow... that bright sun must have had them really messed up. I guess that is to be expected when a fish goes three months without seeing a blue sky....
Old 03-10-2014, 10:19 AM

We didn't fish in the park. We drove past as we headed down to Tan-Vat and parked. We hiked up to the end of the park and fished back down to the parking lot and a little past.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:25 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

So you are a human after all.