The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 01:00 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cascading (i.e. Dropping/Ganging) Nymphs

BE AWARE!

Multiple flies used will disqualify an International Game Fish Association catch.

http://igfa.org/images/uploads/files...ish_021114.pdf

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:52 PM

michael_vorhis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
[B]Multiple flies used will disqualify an International Game Fish Association catch.
I suspect it would disqualify us every bit as readily as catching nothing at all!

Last edited by michael_vorhis; 03-11-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:56 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
BE AWARE!

Multiple flies used will disqualify an International Game Fish Association catch.

http://igfa.org/images/uploads/files...ish_021114.pdf

B.E.F.
Yeah, I'll just have to take that chance. I'll settle for personal best.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:04 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygrain View Post

Be aware, when the fish are on, doubles happen

Click the image to open in full size.
Know that problem all too well...

Click the image to open in full size.
mridenour and michael_vorhis like this.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
a "cast" of 3 traditional winged wets
That casts up some memories Paul. Michael, it shouldn't be hard to picture at all.......... Pretty simple rig actually and once I learned to make my droppers at blood knot junctions the tangles were almost nonexistent. I used to dead drift hares ear nymphs and stone fly creepers as triple sets and did very well with them. I haven't fished that way since 79 - 80 but back when I was still into it they worked well. A triple made up of 2 Quill Gordon winged wets and one Light Hendrickson wet was a good spring combo too.

After the years with wets & nymph I turned to feather wing streamers for all my sub surface fishing. Now I use a mix of feather wings - Sculpins along with tube and Intruder style streamers.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-12-2014, 07:30 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
. A triple made up of 2 Quill Gordon winged wets and one Light Hendrickson wet was a good spring combo too.
We always used the same 3 flies.
Black Gnat on the point. Dark Cahill as the first dropper, and I think the second dropper was a light Cahill.
Flies of three different shades with the darkest on the bottom and the lightest on the top.
That dark Cahill is my favorite fly that I never use any more. Maybe I need to tie some up !
Old 04-12-2014, 09:52 AM

smilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura about

I know a lot of guys tie the tippet on multi fly rigs at the bend of the hook, I now tie my middle fly on with an improved clinch knot leaving a long tail end. I then attach my bottom fly to the tag end. It gets caught up a lot less and doesn't seem to drag as much also faster less knots. I use a tungsten fly then a small unweighted fly under it seems to get caught up the least. I use poly yarn and make an indicator any size I like/need. Three fly rigs are too much trouble in my opinion but work if you can get them out without a mess. I try to visually check my rig every cast then check for problems every dozen casts or so especially if I'm not getting strikes. I think setting up my tippet this way my flies drift more naturally because the middle fly doesn't have tippet tied to both ends causing poor drift for the whole set up.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:15 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

"Anyway...opinions on spooking/confusing stream trout with multiple nymphs?"

Michael...if that were the case, those guys who practice Czech Nymphing would not catch so many darn Trout !

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-12-2014, 01:45 PM

mflytier331 is on a distinguished road

Many times while trying to find feeding fish I put on an loud colored fly such as a sucker spawn or San Juan worm as the top fly and a more natural nymph or two behind that.It seems to get the fishes attention to take a look at the target flies you would expect trout to take
Old 04-12-2014, 05:06 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
When I was a kid, I learned to fish the way my grandfather fished and that was with a "cast" of 3 traditional winged wets.
You wouldn't dead drift them, they were actively fished either up and across on a tight line or down and across with a wet fly swing.
Either way the idea was to take advantage of the fact that your flies were in different levels of the water column and not try to fight it.
The "point" fly was the anchor, and along with the first dropper held the "cast" in the current. With the second dropper or "bob" fly you'd try to dap on or near the surface, making the flies dance.
We used long leaders and the flies were spaced by maybe 10"-12" on dropper loops.
Cast with a wide open loop, there are very few tangles
I read about this rig about four years ago in some FF mag and decided to give it a try for a season. It worked pretty well once I got the hang of casting it and learning to get the top fly to 'dance.' On the down side, many of the fish I hooked would make a mess of the rig during the fight rolling around. Many times I had to cut the rig apart just to get the fish untangled. Then spend six or seven minutes retying the thing. Which is the number one reason I stopped fishing the thing.

However, I did pull this system out last fall one time when absolutely nothing else I tried worked, and hooked up 5 browns on six casts, all on the swing. All took the middle fly, which counter-intuitively, seems to produce the least number of tangled messes during a fight.

Back to the OP, generally I fish a single nymph on a hopper/dropper rig, but on the rare occasions that I fish a bobber rig, I fish two, about 18 inches apart, a BB shot about 12 inches above the first fly, if necessary. Mostly I fish this rig just to figure out what they are hitting and the depth. once the fish tell me which fly is more enticing, I either go back to one bug, or tie on a twin.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark