The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 08:39 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cascading (i.e. Dropping/Ganging) Nymphs

I was taught to tie a tapered leader 7.5- 9 feet long, 4x or 5x, to my flyline. I use mono 'cuz it's cheaper.

Then blood knot or surgeon's knot(easier!) 18-24 inches of 5x floro tippet to the end of the leader. Any split shot goes above this knot. No worries about the split shot dropping.

The first fly is tied on here. No telling what it might be- I try to catch fish with all of 'em. I had some fun in the last couple of years upping my leader and tippet sizes and tying on a big, weighted streamer. Caught a lot of fish on a dead drifted Slumpbuster! Either way, my biggest fly goes on first.

Then tie 12-18 inches of 5 or 6x Floro tippet on the bend of the hook. I've tested different methods, and haven't noticed a problem with this. And it's easy. The next fly goes here, smaller than the first. Usually unweighted.

Any time I tie on a 3rd fly, it's 4-6 inches MAX from fly #2. This is key. A lot less tangles this way. When nymphing, it's 6x floro, to a tiny little thing.

The fuzzy (er, indicator) goes way up close to the flyline to leader knot. Gets it away from the flies in case the fish are fuzzy shy.

Most of my casting is the Colorado Flop- the water loading method described earlier. You can get some surprising distance and accuracy this way. I've worn way too many size 20 earrings to get too fancy.

Keeping that 3rd fly up close to the second has saved me a LOT of heartache.

HTH,
CAB
Old 04-13-2014, 06:14 PM

mflytier331 is on a distinguished road

I don't think those sz 20 earrings would be much fun. If I ever get to wear one I hope it's barbless
Old 04-16-2014, 05:35 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflytier331 View Post
I don't think those sz 20 earrings would be much fun. If I ever get to wear one I hope it's barbless
When they're that small, it doesn't make much difference. It's those 2 BB size split shot in the back of the head that hurts! I wound up wearing a cowboy hat; not as a fashion statement, but in self defence.

CAB
rangerrich99 likes this.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:19 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Talking Re: Cascading (i.e. Dropping/Ganging) Nymphs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
When they're that small, it doesn't make much difference. It's those 2 BB size split shot in the back of the head that hurts! I wound up wearing a cowboy hat; not as a fashion statement, but in self defence.

CAB
+1000. YES. I'm with you on this. I look ridiculous in my Stetson, but it's skull protection, not fashion statement.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 04-18-2014, 07:04 AM

mflytier331 is on a distinguished road

Hats and glasses are a must when fishing.We all take for granted how dangerous our sport can be as far as getting hooked in the wrong place
oldnewguy likes this.