The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 02:13 PM

hawkeyeflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default 5wt for streamers?

Streamer season is upon us here in Bozeman! I have a Cables Fish Eagle II 8'6" 5wt, would that work for streamers? I know thats not an ideal weight, trying to convince my wife how important it is to have at least a 3 and a 7 weight rod is!
rickf and mridenour like this.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:06 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5wt for streamers?

I use my 5-weight for streamer action all the time although my 8-weight seems a bit easier to handle in bigger currents.

Kelly.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:22 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Of course it'll work. But if you want to convince the wife differently that's an other matter
Old 03-10-2014, 04:31 PM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough

A 5 wt. will put you at a major disadvantage ! However you need the 5 for distance with dries. You have to tell her a 6 wt. is a must have item also ! probably 2 , one as a backup. Than you will have a void and it must be filled with the right 4 wt. ! you will need to have a few to find just the right one also

I am surprised with you Scotsman for telling the young man a 5 will do the job when he clearly has to have at least a 6 also.

Last edited by eastfly66; 03-10-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:09 PM

Poke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the roughPoke 'Em is a jewel in the rough

I throw streamers with a 5 weight all the time. Unless you're consistently throwing big streamers (4 and bigger), you'll be fine. A size 6 bead-headed wooly bugger is one of the three most common flies I throw on my 5 weight.
ejsell likes this.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:13 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

5wt, can be an all around (at least for VA a 9' 5 or 4wt is fine) for nymphs, dries and streamersódepends on how big those streamers get. If you want to throw bigger streamers specifically, I find a 6 or 7wt (tip flex/ fact action) better for that job.
chi flyfisher likes this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 03-10-2014, 10:59 PM

hawkeyeflyfisher is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the heads up! Seemed to me like most of the guys in the fly shops were using 7wt rods and throwing big articulated streamers.
mridenour likes this.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:14 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I fish streamers on a 5 wt all the time. However......You may want to explain to your wife that there is a reason they make all those different weights, and that you're supposed to have all numbers 1 thru 8 at least. That way, she can have an easy time finding gifts for your birthday, anniversary, father's day, and Christmas.
Most women say that their husbands are hard to buy for. This is not true. There is a rod for any occasion
Old 03-11-2014, 07:27 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I guess part of the answer is that it depends on the size of the streamers. I use a 5 for some unweighted or smaller streamers. For some of the bigger dogs, I go with a 7wt.

Also, I'd say you'd want a slightly faster action than what you normally throw.

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
I fish streamers on a 5 wt all the time. However......You may want to explain to your wife that there is a reason they make all those different weights, and that you're supposed to have all numbers 1 thru 8 at least. That way, she can have an easy time finding gifts for your birthday, anniversary, father's day, and Christmas.
Most women say that their husbands are hard to buy for. This is not true. There is a rod for any occasion
IF and when my wife asks why I need different fly rods, the reply is always the same:

For the same reason you need different shoes...for different situations (outfits, whatever).
kglissmeyer1 and siege like this.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:30 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

what size streamers? i use a fast 4wt to throw everything from dries, nymphs w/ indicators, and streamers...BUT the biggest i will throw is a zoo cougar on it. after i get above that size i just jump up to an 8wt for all the articulated junk

heres the 4wt in action on a local tailwater...using a rio 4wt streamer tip and a #4 zoo cougar.

Click the image to open in full size.