The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 06:57 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: California North Coast fishing trip report........ Long read!

I envy you guys with all The Waters you have in The US also some Nice Pics as well as some Nice Fish & as The Saying Goes "Better Late than Never".
Brian.
winxp_man likes this.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That was good and timely too. We are in the early stages of planning a November trip that will begin with fishing the Rouge River with Nate Baily as our guide. After a few days there we will be driving south into California looking for both warm weather and more fishing opportunities. I checked and I see we are on one another's friend list so I may be contacting you to ask questions as we get into the fall.

Thanks for posting this here, you should know that we will appreciate such things more than most other forums

Ard
fredaevans and winxp_man like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-21-2014, 02:40 AM

winxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the roughwinxp_man is a jewel in the rough

@ Liphookeddau yes its nice to have good waters to fish I would die if I did not. I'm originally born in Romania and I will say this I will go and visit but to move back or to live in Europe to give up salmon and steelhead not gonna happen The passion I have for fishing these creatures will keep me in the west part of the US for life!

@ HardyReels feel free to PM no worries. I will be up on the Klamath come August for summer steelies, and part of the Trinity. Then about the end of September to the first two weeks of October on the Rogue in OR. For November I might be able to get a buddy of mine to let me stay at his cabin on the Grande Rhonde in OR and get some steelies up there. Then wait till about the 3rd week in December and fish locally for a bit on the American river till about mid January then head up on the coast again.

This sounds like a full summer, fall, and winter packed with adventures! The addiction is not even funny!

---------- Post added at 02:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Ahhh fishing for Shad. Me it was on the Russian River below Healdsburg. If you found them there were hundreds of the darned things. It could be 'zip' or a 50 fish day.

Lots of the first, a few of the second.

fae

I would love to fish for some shad in the north coast never been and so adding such a trip to the books cant be back for a person such as myself

If you can send me more info that would be great! As in time frames when its best to go up and maybe some places you know of that hold some decent fish
Old 05-16-2014, 04:06 AM

syurnard is on a distinguished road

Hi

Fishing is a good sport and I went fishing once, This site is very nice to Some of the providers are giving their customers with the many important fishing equipments Alaska fishing Lodge.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:01 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post

---------- Post added at 02:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 AM ----------

[/COLOR]

I would love to fish for some shad in the north coast never been and so adding such a trip to the books cant be back for a person such as myself

If you can send me more info that would be great! As in time frames when its best to go up and maybe some places you know of that hold some decent fish
Timing of the shad runs on the Russian is just a dusty memory bin so a call to a local fly shop would be the best bet. Save for someone in the area piping up.

That said, the real issue with the Russian is the 'sand dam' that gets built up every summer at the mouth of the river. Currents will completly plug the mouth of the river to the point 'nothing' gets past the thing. Actually a heck of a big lake will build up behind that. So one of two things has to happen: One hell of a rain storm that really raises the river and punches out the sand dam ..... or someone goes down there with a back hoe .... at night. This really is illegal but it happened with some frequency.

One way or the other the Shad will just flood into the river. As for 'gear' a 5 or 6 weight rod is all you'll need but the "Key" is to use a clear slow sink 'slime line.' Leader wise, with the slime line, 5 to 7 foot is enough.

Fly wise the most success was a size 6 or 8 hook, silver bead head AND the body was made from red or flo-green Amnesia fly line backing. Lots of alternatives to that now but do put a tight wrap of silver tinsel first/wrap over that. Fly will 'glow in the dark!

As to the best place to spend your time is find pools where the river necks in and digs out a hole in the river bottom. This is where the fish will stack up as they move up the river. Rest of the river will be slow moving and fish will just travel through so finding them can be a real 'hit and miss.'

As to river access (back then) the easy places were public swimming areas and at bridge points. If you do a float I hope you like 'nude sun bathing,' you'll see a lot of that.

Fred
Old 05-16-2014, 04:35 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by syurnard View Post
Hi

Fishing is a good sport and I went fishing once, This site is very nice to Some of the providers are giving their customers with the many important fishing equipments Alaska fishing Lodge.
???? milt