The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By rickf
  • 1 Post By andrew_rigsby
  • 1 Post By buddhist_palm
  • 1 Post By fly_guy12955

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 11:03 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default Small Public Lake Stockers

Regular Trout Season opened this past Sat. Crazy heavy, record setting rain / snow blew out everything for a few days.

The lake was still high, and stained water, but I put my float tube in and took my 3wt. I had 6 trout on, and landed 4. All rainbow stockers.

All the trout were caught on a small white Clouser. They couldn't see the other flies in the colored water.

Water temp was 52. The big lakes are around 46 now.

It has begun, Thank God!

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:44 AM

andrew_rigsby is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Small Public Lake Stockers

Looks like some good eating! Hope the season stays that fruitful for you!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:58 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

the grass is green and the stockers are hungry!

life is looking pretty good in your neck of the woods
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:29 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhist_palm View Post
the grass is green and the stockers are hungry!
buddhist,

Yeah, only a week ago there was snow on the ground! A couple warm days and the grass turned green and the trees are budding! This was a crazy winter here in PA.

Nature is truly wonderful!
Old 04-03-2014, 06:13 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

That keeps me hopefull. Sounds like we are just a couple weeks behind.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:41 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Fished a stream early this morning and caught three stockers,,,a rainbow and two brookies...left and went up to the reservoir lake and caught a brown and two rainbows. Doesn't mean much as they are lowly stockers but I guess I got a grand slam,,,LOL
A Royal Trude tied dry and fished with with a small split shot is so effective it might be illegal if the F and G dept only knew. Started using this deal thur my laziness,,,,just didn't wanna tie on wet fly after the dry trude didnt pull any action,,so I thought ...I''ll add a tiny split shot, pull'er under and just see...and my Lord,,it's the next best thing to dynamite. I 'think' some of it might be the stiffer dry hackle creates 'something' hen hackle doesnt under the water...I dunno. Must add here,,,have only used this system on stockers so far. Wild brookies might even be put off by it,,just don't know. And we don't have native rainbow or browns in my area.

But ya might wanna give it a go and check it out sometime when the action is slow and ya wanna experiment and matching the hatch doesn't mean much to you that day.

Mike
oldnewguy likes this.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:31 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to get out! Use to fish some stockers in Michigan and the best fly for them was a white woolly bugger as well.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:45 AM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

I will try that, fly--guy.

Thanks!

Tight lines,

Joe