The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 03:55 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Magic river ?

I don't if you are talking about BB and me or not, but if the approach to the river in question is indeed that descent down the high desert road then there is no way it is the Beaverhead, which snakes back and forth under I-15. And its not a secret ... so actually come to think of it...it IS the Beaverhead!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:24 PM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

Well, the OP hasn't been back. Maybe it was a fishing expedition.

I do know what river it is, but I would not name a small river like this on the open Internet. If your curiosity is killing you, PM me. Although I still think they may have been on a private water section of it.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah daveii View Post
There are three people on this thread that I suspect know what river this is? I wonder how much they are misdirecting folks.
Yes, I do know exactly where this river is, and yes, I'm guilty as charged of "misdirecting" folks. Who are you utah daveii to call people out like this?

let me give my reasoning as to why this thread and others like it concern me, some folks will agree, others won't.

This stream is close to a big name river that is visited by people from all over the country and world, this bigger river is able to handle the crowds, this stream likely wouldn't and would become just another downtrodden overfished piece of water. I'm sure we've all seen examples of this and I'm not willing to share any information that would or could possibly contribute to expediting this...especially on an international fly fishing forum.
Nothing against the OP(I wish him all the best on his trip) but I'll be damned if I'm going to pass on the information he's seeking on an international forum, perhaps if he wasn't a 1st time poster fishing for information and was a long time forum member I'd pass on the information privately.

Almost all of us know of a place similar to this, and hopefully each and every one of you is willing to do whatever it takes to protect it. I'd no more pass this information along, than I would about Kelly's "No Tellum" Spring Creek, or a little gem of a lake that mojo & Joni hold in very high regard. For those reading this, do yourself, your kids and grandkids a favor, if you have a "Magic River" keep it to yourselves.

Consider me selfish or greedy? I don't care.

I'm done with this thread.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Last edited by fyshstykr; 04-09-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:25 PM

blackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of lightblackbugger is a glorious beacon of light

O.K. fine, I'll be the one to out this river....

It's the Mississippi outside Davenport, Iowa.

Don't tell anyone.
dean_mt likes this.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:38 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Yes, I do know exactly where and what this river is, and yes, I'm guilty as charged of "misdirecting" folks. Who are you utah daveii to call people out like this?

let me give my reasoning as to why this thread and others like it concern me, some folks will agree, others won't.

This stream is close to a big name river that is visited by people from all over the country and world, this bigger river is able to handle the crowds, this stream likely wouldn't and would become just another downtrodden overfished piece of water. I'm sure we've all seen examples of this and I'm not willing to share any information that would or could possibly contribute to expediting this...especially on an international fly fishing forum.
Nothing against the OP(I wish him all the best on his trip) but I'll be damned if I'm going to pass on the information he's seeking on an international forum, perhaps if he wasn't a 1st time poster fishing for information and was a long time forum member I'd pass on the information privately.

Almost all of us know of a place similar to this, and hopefully each and every one of you is willing to do whatever it takes to protect it. I'd no more pass this information along, than I would about Kelly's "No Tellum" Spring Creek, or a little gem of a lake that mojo & Joni hold in very high regard.

I think you're making the right decision. It is one thing to talk about rivers and access that shows up in fishing reports online, ut if we start posting the lesser known and off the beaten path water online pressure can increase and fisheries that aren't managed for crowds can be damaged. Part of fishing good, lesser known water is putting the time in to do the exploring.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:09 AM

utah daveii will become famous soon enoughutah daveii will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Yes, I do know exactly where this river is, and yes, I'm guilty as charged of "misdirecting" folks. Who are you utah daveii to call people out like this?

Almost all of us know of a place similar to this, and hopefully each and every one of you is willing to do whatever it takes to protect it. I'd no more pass this information along, than I would about Kelly's "No Tellum" Spring Creek, or a little gem of a lake that mojo & Joni hold in very high regard. For those reading this, do yourself, your kids and grandkids a favor, if you have a "Magic River" keep it to yourselves.

Probably should get rid of that link on your post then? So let me get this straight, your post has a link to a guide service that exploits two streams smaller than the one in question and your calling me out for pointing out that some of us are feeding him a load of bs? That's rich.

I haven't divulged the name of that river either. Nor will I ever on a public forum. However, I think we should be honest with the French dude that we are all filling him full of bs.

For the record, I dedicated and volunteered ten years of my life protecting Utah's fisheries and access to them. I feel I have earned the right to pop off every once in awhile.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:40 AM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

To the original poster, I think that you would do well to hire a guide or two if you want to find good fishing on your first trip out here. If not hire a guide to show how and where to fish, then I suggest that your look at some of the exclusive waters of some of the Montana Spring Creeks. Many are private ranches where you can fish on their creeks for a fee. They only allow so many people a day, so you should have an uncrowded and fun time. Just Google "Montana Spring Creeks" and you should be able to find many suggestions.

If it was me, I wouldn't try to travel so much and so far. There is fantastic fishing in Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah. All within much closer reach to Denver. You will be unbelievably tired with all of the traveling you have planned, and a lot of your "fishing" days will be spent on the road.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:31 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by utah daveii View Post
Probably should get rid of that link on your post then? So let me get this straight, your post has a link to a guide service that exploits two streams smaller than the one in question and your calling me out for pointing out that some of us are feeding him a load of bs? That's rich.

I haven't divulged the name of that river either. Nor will I ever on a public forum. However, I think we should be honest with the French dude that we are all filling him full of bs.

For the record, I dedicated and volunteered ten years of my life protecting Utah's fisheries and access to them. I feel I have earned the right to pop off every once in awhile.
Not sure why you are so up in arms and offended by a little harmless misdirection. Seriously, it's a fly fishing forum for chrissakes and a 1st time poster asking for someone to put him onto a little known piece of special water. I guess this thread could have been three pages of people telling him "i know where this is and will not tell you" and "sorry I do not know this river but even if I did I wouldn't tell you" or worse yet someone just blurting out the name of the river.

BSing and joking with other fishermen, strangers or good friends, is partly what a forum is for. Both virtual and physical. I had a friend over to my house the other night that wouldn't tell me where his local Missoula "honey hole" is, and that was after I fed him a very good dinner!

Let's not get so offended with good natured and harmless fun.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:22 AM

zardos is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Magic river ?

Hi guys

Thank you for your answers, i want to reassure you, it's not my first travel in the west ( 3 trips in BC and Alberta, 3 trips in west USA) and driving american roads is not a problem, just a pleasure. I know the legendary hospitality of the western people (exepted to give the good spot... . I'm really exited to start this trip.
If some of you like to help me, you can use my MP to give me some alternative spots in case of bad conditions on the most famous streams.
See you on the banks this summer...

Zardos