The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 07:11 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: Steelhead Alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm287 View Post
There nothing more to say, except you are on your way to many more adventures!!!!!!!! Yea, there is something about a bunch of old farts standing around giggling after catching a three fish......I mean think about it, "How many fish have they caught in there life time? And earlier you were so giddy after catching your first" I always ask myself when giggling after having fun "How old am I?" 53 years old....really......
The laughter of catching fish with good friends old and new is one of the great things about fishing.

---------- Post added at 07:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhist_palm View Post
your going down as my great lakes tribs spring time hero

i couldnt imagine that many fish in my wildest dreams
Maybe we can get together and catch some Wisconsin fish this fall!

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake flyer View Post
Good report Mike! It was my pleasure to meet up with the three of you!

To all who are reading this thread, it isn't all that easy to do as well as these guys, they can fish!!

The water conditions were basically "coffee-with-cream" colored water. Pretty much unfishable for most folks on Saturday, their first day. But they stuck to it and found the fish and more importantly they found the taking fish. They stayed away from the fish on the redds and caught a lot of the males competing to move up and a lot of transition fish on their way up.

I was impressed to say the least!

Mike watching you catch your first steelhead with Rick on the net made my day!!

Glenn
I am blessed to get to fish with such great fisherman. They get credit for every fish I catch. It was awesome to share such great memories with a new friend. I hope you and I can fish together again soon.

---------- Post added at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsell View Post
Glad you guys had a great time. With the amount of water we got leading up to the weekend I was wondering how you'd do. You can't beat a trip like that.
Maybe sometime we can invade the water in your area!
mcnerney, pm287 and ejsell like this.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:10 PM

ejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura about

I've got to do a little traveling to get to good water. My local river is a glorified farm ditch. Pretty in some areas but most of the spring and early summer no visibility from the farm runoff. It's inhabited by lots of carp, rock bass, freshwater drum and some smallies and largemouth. They keep me entertained but are definitely not trophy fish. But luckily my parents live near two stocked trout streams a couple of hours away (and they like to watch my kids). Not exactly blue ribbon streams but again they keep me entertained.
mcnerney and mridenour like this.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:26 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Maybe you should travel a little to the west this fall and catch up to us in Wisconsin or Michigan. It's a lot of fun.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:58 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Looks like a great trip guys!!! I haven't gotten out much this year and I have only caught yet: 3 trout and 1 half way lost bluegill.
mcnerney and mridenour like this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-11-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Looks like a great trip guys!!! I haven't gotten out much this year and I have only caught yet: 3 trout and 1 half way lost bluegill.
I caught all those fish on the reel I bought from you. Works pretty good! It is like a lucky charm...lol! So far this year, one good trout trip, one lousy trout trip and one great Steelhead trip. Only about 7 days on the water. The neighbor's lake is looking pretty good now though! I might check it out tonight.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:18 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhist_palm View Post
Click the image to open in full size.
That is hilarious! Had to give you rep for that!
mcnerney, stl_geoff and qacwac like this.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:33 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
I caught all those fish on the reel I bought from you. Works pretty good! It is like a lucky charm...lol! So far this year, one good trout trip, one lousy trout trip and one great Steelhead trip. Only about 7 days on the water. The neighbor's lake is looking pretty good now though! I might check it out tonight.
Good deal!! maybe I need to send you some flies still for the Current to change your luck around.
mcnerney likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-11-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
Good deal!! maybe I need to send you some flies still for the Current to change your luck around.
Yeah, I need a decent trip down there! The last one blew chunks...lol.
mcnerney and stl_geoff like this.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mike: Awesome trip report! It is great to see forum members getting together and helping each other out like that. Catching Steelhead in those conditions sure makes that long drive worthwhile, congrats!

Larry
mridenour and ejsell like this.