The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 12:15 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Jewels of the Driftless

Was able to get out for 5 1/2hrs today before work this evening. Was an absolutely beautiful day. Forecast was 70. Woke up to 30 and decided to take my time getting out the door. By the time I left it was a nice 36 and sunny... So it seemed a lot warmer. Decided I'd check out a stream that I haven't fished in years. It is listed as having wild populations of brook and browns. Another one of those streams that's small and only gets smaller as the year progresses from all the vegetation growth.

I pull up and I'm happy to be the only car there even after my late start. As I was gearing up a fellow that lived across the way began chatting with me and suggested I fish down stream from the access saying that he'd had great luck the previous day. I took his advice as he mentioned my plan would be thwarted due to lots of wine blown trees making it difficult to fish.

I walked all the way down to the end of the easement allowing myself to see what the stream looked like before I fished. There was one thing for certain. Beavers have this stream on lockdown. Almost every pool was the creation of a beaver dam or one that finally broke.

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm armed with #10 and #6 simi seal leeches. Weather report indicated a very windy day so I went steamer to simplify things. I tie on a #10. Start casting to the first hole and within the first couple casts I get my first hit. Swing and miss. Couple more hits and misses and I concede to the hole. Next hole I get a couple rough casts in and snag up a couple times. But keep my leech. Next whole and it's game time. Finally get my hookset timed and I'm finally taking trout to hand. Along with about another dozen brookies.

Get up to the next pool and start casting at the tail end of it pulling brookie after brookie. I casted to the foot of the beaver dam and hooked into this nice brook.

Water was crystal clear and surprisingly played to my advantage more often than not as I'd strip my leech and could see the trout chase and take. Allowing me to adjust my retrieve style and speed. Sometimes they'd turn away and I'd pause and they'd whip back and nail it. Other times it'd be short strikes and I'd slow down and I'd hook up the next time through. Other times my adrenaline would just get going a little too hard from seeing the follow and I'd pull the leech anxiously as I tried setting the hook before the trout even struck.

Overall the day was great. By the time I was onto the next run I'd already lost count. I eventually I tied on a size 6 leech with no change in pace and a couple bigger brookies. Dozens of fish came from many of runs on this stream. Some runs i just had to finally move on from because i was on a time frame. All brook trout. I can easily say I had a 100 to hand and many missed connections and that's not an overstatement as 100 was a low ball estimate. Definitely one of my best days ever!

Old 04-10-2014, 12:35 AM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Jewels of the Driftless

HECK YEAH!!!!!

Beautiful stream with plentiful, hungry brookies. Whats better???

100..... I would have called in to work.

Well played.............
itchmesir likes this.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:01 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfordcreek View Post
HECK YEAH!!!!!

Beautiful stream with plentiful, hungry brookies. Whats better???

100..... I would have called in to work.

Well played.............
"Calling into work" doesn't really work in these valleys. Though I did think of it that's for sure on the walk back to the car. But I asked myself how many more fish do I really need to catch today? And decided that I'd caught more than enough to feel accomplished. Plus the wind was getting really nasty as the day progressed. Was really having to work to get any distance in those final stretches.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:13 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

your giving me a case of the small stream brookie fever!

hope i can do as well this weekend

mcnerney and itchmesir like this.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:18 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Nice. Fabulous day.

The gill plates on all those brookies look to be in good shape. Did you catch any with damaged gill plates and gill lice? I've noticed an increase in the number of streams that have brook trout with gill lice.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:09 AM

cpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to behold

Beautiful!
Old 04-10-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi flyfisher View Post
Nice. Fabulous day.

The gill plates on all those brookies look to be in good shape. Did you catch any with damaged gill plates and gill lice? I've noticed an increase in the number of streams that have brook trout with gill lice.

Cheers,
Mike.
My biology of fish starts at the stream and ends at the end of my line. Gill lice is not a worry of mine. Studies have shown it doesn't have as big of an effect as some Wisconsin blowhards would have you believe. It's a parasite that's been around for a long time. Cycle of life. That's all.
mcnerney and ted4887 like this.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:34 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Welp, that settles that....I gotta go there.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-10-2014, 11:28 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

Wisconsin or Minnesota side?

Also, those brookies look a bit on the thin side. You could help out the population by keeping a couple, if you're into that.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:22 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about

After hearing about the Driftless for awhile, we fished it about 4 years ago. Nice alternative to go from my Missouri waters!
mcnerney likes this.