The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 02:19 PM

michael_vorhis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Indicator Fly Heresy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
...mess on every cast.
Well, now, that's the other thing...yep, I do not love that part. Myself, I mostly try to use this kind of thing in deeper runs where the current loads like a back cast and I can just do one upstream flick for another drift...or where I can let it drift a loooong way and it spends far more time drifting than in the air. But yes, one does almost have to enjoy knots....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridenour View Post
...one thing in fly fishing is absolutely true, nothing is absolute in fly fishing.
Except that we'll never give it up and never stop discussing odd techniques!
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:24 PM
mridenour

Touche! You got that right.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:20 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Michael.

I do not put on a dry fly for an indicator when I am nymphing. In my opinion, that is counter productive because a dry fly limits the depth that can be fished, AND most importantly, cannot easily be moved along the leader to adjust for water depth and speed. If fly fishers are telling you to use a dry fly as an indicator for a primary nymphing system, they are mistaken.

Perhaps the type of water that you fish is not very accommodating to a dry dropper system. I rarely use it on my small local streams. But you originally made a blanket statement about the dry dropper without any qualifying statements. Hence, I took it as an all encompassing statement.

On large western river systems that have abundant grasshopper, cicada, salmon flies, and other large terrestrials or aquatic hatches AND an abundant mayfly or caddis populations, the dry dropper is a very productive system. On these waters like the Madison, the Green, the Missouri, the Big Horn, etc, both the aquatic insects and terrestrials are present together on and in the river at the same time. During the non-hatch periods when one has to prospect for trout, using dry dropper in my experience is more productive that using a single dry fly.

One does need to cast both flies into the same current seam so drag between the flies is minimized.

On the Missouri River which has a heavy population of caddis and where the tricos can be a maddening hatch to fish, one can use the double dry system of a caddis with a following trico spinner. The caddis helps to locate the trico pattern and also to take those trout that will take the caddis. There are almost always fish that will take caddis during a trico spinner fall on the upper Missouri below Holter Dam.

Fishing Tandem Flies: Other Combinations | MidCurrent

"Seeing Double" | MidCurrent

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-14-2014, 03:38 PM

hokiehunter07 will become famous soon enough

In the small streams I like to fish my go to rig is a size 18-20 bead head under a size 16 klink. When I say small stream I'm talking tiny. Drop pools and very few if any runs. Most of the time I don't need anything more than the leader out the end of my 7'9" TFO Finesse.

I'm targeting brookies and a good fish is 12" but in that scenario I've almost always had the bigger fish go after the klink. The little ones take the size 18-20 with abandon, but only the nicer fish usually come up and take the klink. If you've fished a klink you know that a size 16 is usually about the same size as a size 12 standard dry.

The big boys prefer the bigger dry.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:11 PM

michael_vorhis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiehunter07 View Post
...small streams...Drop pools and very few if any runs...only the nicer fish usually come up and take the [#16] klink.
Interesting, Hokie, and kinda the reverse of what I'm reacting to. Ever just use the Klink so that a pool isn't roiled up by the little guys? That's similar to my thinking but in reverse.

Silver says,

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I do not put on a dry fly for an indicator when I am nymphing....a dry fly limits the depth that can be fished, AND most importantly, cannot easily be moved along the leader to adjust for water depth and speed. If fly fishers are telling you to use a dry fly as an indicator for a primary nymphing system, they are mistaken.
I don't know of anybody telling any of us what to do, but yes I hear guys frequently claiming that a large dry (often mentioned is something like a foam hopper or big foam caddis or squala) is better than a hookless indicator if it will support the weight, "because fish will sometimes hit the indicator." It's easy to nod at such an idea when you hear it but that hook seems to be more of a nuisance to me most of the time.

You may disagree but by my experience, "dry-dropper" can work well WHEN a stretch is shallow enough that fish are looking toward the surface. When they're down low in some feeding lane, stuff passing way up overhead only a foot and a half below the surface or less seems to get ignored. I don't remember saying anything disparaging about dry-dropper setups (not on purpose anyway) because I love them. I wish I could get away with never having to mess with shot and tungsten and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
...caddis and where the tricos can be a maddening hatch to fish, one can use the double dry system of a caddis with a following trico spinner.[/url]
It has been MANY years since I've used a double-dry of any kind! So many that I guess I never think of it any more. Long ago I occasionally tried an elk hair caddis and mosquito or Adams on the same leader, in some high lake or other. Not sure I ever tried it in current, and not sure it ever worked well enough for me to make the bother worthwhile...probably the reason I forgot about it. Tnx Silver, for that reminder.