The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 06:24 PM

nhflyfish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Salmon river , New York

In September, start reading the daily reports from Douglaston Salmon Run. This is where the fish first come in from Ontario and the reports give a good indication of the activity. Whitaker's also posts a daily report. Both must reading in the fall. If possible, plan a mid-week outing. Weekends are horrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hardyreels, gzarboni and eastfly66 like this.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:57 PM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice

I usually fish in pineville. You can get the river reports on the dec website, Oswego county. Like the others said if you go on a weekend it will be shoulder to shoulder fishing. I usually go the week after labour day weekend and it is great fishing. Here is a pic of my first Salmon ever in pineville at the ball park pool.
Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eastfly66 likes this.

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 04-18-2014, 07:02 PM

Classic picture. Last fall, my fishing pal snapped an 8 wt on a 35 lb King. Not sure what was more impressive: the fish or the noise the rod made. Heartbreaker as it was an Orvis H2. Ouch!

gzarboni likes this.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:04 PM

gzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nicegzarboni is just really nice

Good thing they are guaranteed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...logs/gzarboni/
Old 04-18-2014, 07:18 PM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough

I just came back this week from Steelhead fishing up there. I went with a guide , Pat Muria and I highly recommend him. If you have not fished the area or have gone for salmon or Steelhead I think a quality guide like Pat is worth the money. I also had an intro to Spey Casting with is very useful up there. I am going back in Oct. at least 2 times and once more with Pat.

If you are going , I recommend you make reservations for a place to stay now. The good places book fast. I go for Steelhead , the salmon snaggers and center pin guys I do my best to avoid. ( I will leave it at that , if I post my full opinions on them I will be band from this site)

PM me if you like , I would be glad to tell you what I know.

10' 7 wt. is the weapon of choice for steelies ...

The fish I landed were hooked "IN" the mouth ! Thank you Pat.

In the fall I will have a switch or spey........

Eastfly
gzarboni likes this.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:29 PM

I have read that modified center pin fishing is a technique to get a good drag free drift with a nymph or streamer. The float also acts as a strike indicator. As opposed to bouncing weights along the bottom and getting snagged. I've never tried it but it looks like fishing with a different type of indicator, i.e. Raven float.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:42 PM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhflyfish View Post
I have read that modified center pin fishing is a technique to get a good drag free drift with a nymph or streamer. The float also acts as a strike indicator. As opposed to bouncing weights along the bottom and getting snagged. I've never tried it but it looks like fishing with a different type of indicator, i.e. Raven float.

That would be correct by my observation NH and they float that nice long drift right past you and 3-4 other guys and do not give a flying F about you. Someone as taught them that this is acceptable ? I had to stop my drift or cast a # of times B/C some A$$ drifted his buoy in my lane from 60' away and than he has to reel it back up !

I would rather put my nuts in a garlic press than fish like that .

Also , there is no nymph or streamer, it is a bare hook and ALOT of lead and I mean a sh-t load of lead. (snag)
Old 04-18-2014, 08:07 PM

Got it. I was up on the SR 2 weeks ago and fished next to someone using the float. No issues. He cast upstream, it drifted down and when there was drag on the float, he re-cast. He was using a black stonefly. I just read that a 'centerpin' reel allows those long, long floats. Thanks for the clarification!

Old 04-18-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhflyfish View Post
Got it. I was up on the SR 2 weeks ago and fished next to someone using the float. No issues. He cast upstream, it drifted down and when there was drag on the float, he re-cast. He was using a black stonefly. I just read that a 'centerpin' reel allows those long, long floats. Thanks for the clarification!

from what I saw it is a fly reel with mono and no fly line basically. Perhaps some guys do it right , but what I saw really pissed me off. When I saw him landing one by the tail that was all I needed to see. It is better than it was 20 yrs ago ...............

The glass beads are the new way to get around the law.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:48 PM
adrian191

hey, you dont really need a quide for salmon. You will catch on pretty quick. My favorite place to fish up there would prob have to be compactor pool. I go up river from the bridge. It's pretty shallow with some nice pools. When its sunny out you can see the salmon running up. Ball park is nice but its always crowded. Just stay AWAY from the crowds youll catch fish. Sometimes your have a pool to yourself and slam them. Btw im 15 and have been going up there for 5 years.( 3 to 4 times a year) First year i didnt catch any but my dad did. Now i have my own spots and youll get addicted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DetStpeAo

i just threw footage and put up a vid on youtube.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

at the 8 min mark you see my dad loose a fish then i hook into it and another fish swims by. That's why i like compactor. You can see the fish