The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 10:08 PM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Salmon river , New York

Would a 7wt be capable for this river? I'm in a little of a predicament. For the price of a guide for a day, I could also invest and buy a TFO BVK rod for nearly the same price. I currently have a 4wt for trout fishing but I would like to invest in a rod I could also use for pike or bass in other areas of Vermont. I've never gone fishing for salmon or steelhead before. It's looks like a lot of fun from what I see and hear. I'm about 5 hours away from the salmon river so I'd only be able to make the vovage once this year and I want to go at the best possible time. There a guide in Stowe, VT that does a drift boat fly fishing day trip to the Salmon river. The cost is 390.00 so I'm not to sure on how that compares to pricing in Pulaski or surrounding areas.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:15 PM

rott21 is on a distinguished road

A 7wt rod is good for everything but King Salmon try a 10wt for them
Old 04-18-2014, 10:19 PM

nhflyfish is on a distinguished road

I'm guessing you are referring Bob Shannon from Stowe. An excellent guide and he knows the river very well. Take a friend and you only pay $195 each. Do the guide once then you'll have the confidence to go solo from then on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:10 PM

802flyfish will become famous soon enough

I suppose if I did ended up getting a guide for a day then I could just use a rod from the shop. Has anyone drifted for salmon before ? I've never had the pleasure to be on a drift boat. I'm really debating on brining the girlfriend.. I feel that could go both ways haha.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:57 PM

johnnysdg will become famous soon enough

My opinion is a 9wt is perfect for salmon. The guide is great first time to show you the rigging. I use Tom Birke and I think he's fantastic.

Don't try and save a couple bucks at the expense of the trip. I use a guide all the time for two reasons; First, if I'm fishing the DSR I can get in early and secure a good spot. Second, I like the maneuverability of having a drift boat. It gets you into some stretches that don't have any people and you can cover a lot of water in the boat.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:49 AM

eastfly66 will become famous soon enougheastfly66 will become famous soon enough

A drift boat trip would be nice but when you go back alone you will be wading. I wanted to learn where to go, how to get there and how to do it the way I will be doing it when I am on my own. Pat was $250/day for a single. As I said in my PM, you do not need a $800 rod and a 7 wt. 10' I built for under 200 on a Batson RX7 did the trick just fine. I am sure the TFO is up to the job. Have a good reel with a real drag system. I used a Teton LA 7 wt. I purchased off eBay with a line for 90 bucks and the reel and line are like new. I have an extra Teton Tioga 10 wt. LA (NIB) I will sell you for what it cost me ($115).

The Batson 10' 9 wt. (I have here to be built) and that Tioga reel will be a good set up for steelhead and Salmon up there. You would have to get a line. The blank and HW and the reel would be about $265.00.

If you needed a custom rod builder I could drop it off to Ray @ Cotes fly shop down the road or Trela custom rods and he will build/ship
or you are not that far from Leister MA. ? You could fish the Deerfield on the way home.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 04:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 AM ----------

debating on brining the girlfriend.. I feel that could go both ways haha.[/quote]

Bad Idea !

Trust me on that one.

Last edited by eastfly66; 04-19-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:08 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Consider a 9 or 10 wt, especially if your fishing the upper fly area. I broke a 10 wt BVK up there on my 11th fish of the day and a 9 wt Redington on my first fish of the next day. You could get away with a 7 if the Salmon was a lake but it's definitely not and high water, heavy rapids and 30 lb plus fish take their toll !
As far as a guide for Salmon save your money unless you need someone to point to the fish that you already see. Steelhead on the first time out a guide is a big help. Have fun !
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-19-2014, 11:27 AM

tanis103 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian191 View Post
hey, you dont really need a quide for salmon. You will catch on pretty quick. My favorite place to fish up there would prob have to be compactor pool. I go up river from the bridge. It's pretty shallow with some nice pools. When its sunny out you can see the salmon running up. Ball park is nice but its always crowded. Just stay AWAY from the crowds youll catch fish. Sometimes your have a pool to yourself and slam them. Btw im 15 and have been going up there for 5 years.( 3 to 4 times a year) First year i didnt catch any but my dad did. Now i have my own spots and youll get addicted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_DetStpeAo

i just threw footage and put up a vid on youtube.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

at the 8 min mark you see my dad loose a fish then i hook into it and another fish swims by. That's why i like compactor. You can see the fish
I would recommend what Adrian is using here on his video, Shakespeare Ugly Stik Big Water Fly Rod. It only cost $60 and it is strong. It was my first rod on the Salmon when I started going after the mud sharks (that's what we called the salmon in later years when I only went for the steelies and browns. It's not that great of a fly rod but for the first time and if you only use it on the Salmon u r not out that much. I live now in SC and do miss the SR but I grow up only 45 mins from SR and fished it 30 to 40 days a year. My fav spots up there were the little black hole, it's down from the snaggers black hole but you need to cross the river twice to get to it. It is the start of the Dougsten pay area but you need to fish down stream river right not to pay the fee. This is where I got my first trophy steelie (17.5 lb male on a pink egg pattern). Also, nimo hole (steelies, kings, browns), horse shoe falls (cohos and kings but it is around a 2 mile hike), all through staircase pool (kings and steelies but I would recommend cross the river on the bottem of it because it will be shoulder to shoulder on the easy side to get to.

I also use very light leaders and tippet, you will hook more fish but lose more fish too. Have a great drag reel and take your time fighting the fish and you will get them. My buddies and I use to have a game were we couldn't use a net or someone else could help land the fish so we had to play the fish all the way. No landing a fish a hundred yards down stream with someone with net landing it for you, I've seen it done with a lot of guys waiting for the fish to be landed.

Sorry for the long post but you got me thinking of the fun on the SR.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:04 PM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about

I just got back from the SR last night - got up there on Monday when the river went up to 5200cfs - stayed at Whitakers - on the way up I got a call from Rob the owner warning me of the river conditions with the option to cancel - nice - but I was armed with some new info and maps from a buddy of mine of the creeks and tribs in the area and looked at the bad river conditions as an opportunity to check these out -the parking lot in Altmar was flooded, with flow out the back end - some guys were fishing the ditch that ran next to the Al Di Lodge - Orwell Brook was flooded up to the farmers fields - Trout Brook looked like a white water adventure - we got out of a local creek just in time before an evening downpour, which turned into an all day rain/sleet/snow event on Tuesday - by Wednesday the flow on the SR was 8000cfs - very impressive to drive into town and see the river RAGING through it - during trying all the other creeks/streams and tribs,we found one that was running high but clear, with plenty of steelhead moving around - My son landed 3 nice ones, with probably another 2 dozen on - it's one of those creeks where there's very little room to land a fish -this creek saved our trip - we walked into the Upper Fly Zone on friday before we left - 2500 cfs and dirty - - it was strange to see the Salmon River with no crowd,though.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:13 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about

Nice fish! We had a similar tactic we utilized in Ohio a couple of weeks ago. Good to have the back up plan to not ruin a trip with high water.