The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 10:13 AM

dakota8678 will become famous soon enoughdakota8678 will become famous soon enough
Default Fist taste of success!

Last September my wife and I got a chance to take our first trip/lesson in Yellowstone. We had a blast. We hiked in a mile or so caught a ton of brookies. After along cold winter of collecting some gear and making frequent visits to my local fly shop. I got a chance to go fishing in the hills last week. I caught 6 nice 10"-12" rainbows and about twice that many brookies. I've been lurking on this forum all winter and I love seeing everyone's great pictures. Turns out trying to take pictures while landing a fish, while trying to take the hook out, while trying not to hurt the fish is a tuff task. Here's my best efforts.
Click the image to open in full size.

After spending a great day in the Black Hills I stopped into the new brewpub on my way home. I sampled a red ale with a hint of choke cherry.

On Good Friday my wife and I got a chance to fish in Rapid Creek. Here's a a brown I caught. My only regret is I didn't have a camera when my wife caught a 12" rainbow with our 2 month old son strapped to her chest.

Thanks to all the folks who post awesome pictures and stories.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:35 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fist taste of success!

Welcome to the forum Dakota and for your first post I would have to say it is one of the best. Looking forward to reading more about your fishing exploits and also am giving you some reputation points for the good story.

Dave
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing, looks like you are off to a good start, congrats on all those fish!

Taking photos of fish by yourself is indeed tough, for me I like to use a net and after removing the hook and with the net and fish placed near shore in very shallow water, I then take out the camera and take a photo. I see in your first photo you let your shadow get in the photo, so that is something to try and avoid, I still make that mistake from time to time, but try and position yourself so the shadow doesn't show.

Larry
mridenour, troutn and repperson29 like this.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:29 PM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum!

I can tell by your smile that you are hooked!!!

Tight lines,

Joe
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:33 PM

dakota8678 will become famous soon enoughdakota8678 will become famous soon enough

Ya Larry taking picture was an afterthought. I really did know how successful I was going to be. I ended up using my iPhone. Trying to get my phone out and get my cover off while keeping the fish in my net was thought. I felt super clumsy doing it.
After years of elk hunting I've learned your most successful when your least prepared. Leave your camera in the truck next to your knife. You'll kill a big bull every time.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to the forum....looking forward to seeing other fishing reports and pics
Old 04-22-2014, 02:09 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Awesome! I have only fished Rapid Creek a few times. Saw some monster browns in there but didn't catch any of them. Nice job.

The beverage looks tasty too!
Old 04-22-2014, 05:42 PM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

Welcome aboard, and congrats on a fine trip, sounded like all had a real good time.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 PM

rye_tyler is on a distinguished road

Congrats, that's awesome! That ale looks good, I'm a fan of Praire Berry myself.. Rye
Old 04-22-2014, 07:07 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Dakota from an Aussie a BIG Welcome.
Nice Pics also The Beer looks good.
Brian.