The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 01:52 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Newbie Going to Yellowstone needs advice

Also,
I am not big into regret or wishing I would have done one instead of the other but...
I really would like to go back for a dedicated to fishing trip for a week. There is so much pretty water inside the park my neck was tired from whipping my head around.
My mother in law asked why I was just gazing at the water from the bridges...
Before I could answer my wife says...he's not gazing he's reading."

She has picked up a few things from traveling with me..
mcnerney and shortyb like this.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:16 PM

smoothie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorrickg View Post
Great video Mnflyfish!! I will be practicing correctly from now on...or trying too. I was doing all of the things he said not to do lol.

mcnerney...I was planing on doing some bluegill fishing at a little pond near by but I knew my casting was in dire need of help before I tried to actually catch a fish.

flyfishmich...thanks for the info on the book. I will be checking it out. I am almost certainly going to hire a guide while I am there. I can not wait to get out there. I have been to Glacier NP and Denali NP but that was near 30 years ago. I am really looking forward to seeing the mountains again. I also live in Michigan. I am near Lansing. Maybe you can give me some tips on where to fish around here??

chechem...great looking fish! We will be there around June 15 through 28. Maybe we can meet up while we are there. My wife and two daughters will be joining me there as well. my girls are 15 and 12 and have never been west of Chicago. My wife hasn't either for that matter. I am so looking forward to watching them see the mountains for the first time. It is awe inspiring!

You are going to love your trip out west! YNP is awesome! I think if you are new to fly fishing and not familiar w/ the area, it's definitely worth it to hire a guide. You'll learn a ton and actually have some success on the rivers. I'd strongly suggest spending time on the Firehole River. It's unlike any trout stream in the world. You can hike into the back country and fish right next to hot pots, mud pots, and boiling geyers.

If you are going to get a guide for the fishing, you'd be wise to get that booked ASAP. Don't wait till the week before. There are many good fly shops in W. Yellowstone, and any one of them can provide you a great day of fishing.

Here's a great online forum for Yellowstone:

YNet Forums • Index page

You can go online and ask all sorts of questions about the park. It's a great resource if you've never been to YNP before.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:21 PM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
chechem...great looking fish! We will be there around June 15 through 28. Maybe we can meet up while we are there. My wife and two daughters will be joining me there as well. my girls are 15 and 12 and have never been west of Chicago. My wife hasn't either for that matter. I am so looking forward to watching them see the mountains for the first time. It is awe inspiring!
I'd enjoy a chat, and maybe I could show you a few 'secret' places to try while you're there. I've got a cabin at Old Faithful, so I'll be working from there.

Your family is going to go nuts when they see the sights! BTW, last summer I caught 100 Brook Trout in one day in the Gibbon River! Really fun.

Here's a thread about last year's trip: Yellowstone Park fishing trip
Old 04-27-2014, 08:37 PM

raptorrickg is on a distinguished road

WOW!! after seeing your pics I am even more excited about going!! We will be staying at one of the campgrounds. I am not sure which. From what I have read alot of them don't open until June 15. That is the day I am planning on arriving. I have a 30' trailer but prefer the more rustic camp grounds. Any advice on what campground to stay at??
Old 04-28-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
WOW!! after seeing your pics I am even more excited about going!! We will be staying at one of the campgrounds. I am not sure which. From what I have read alot of them don't open until June 15. That is the day I am planning on arriving. I have a 30' trailer but prefer the more rustic camp grounds. Any advice on what campground to stay at??
The best 2 on the Firehole side of the park are Madison and Norris. I like Norris best, because it's smaller and less noisy. Norris is on the Gibbon River (excellent fishing during June), and Madison is near the confluence of the Firehole and Madison Rivers (also excellent). You will have to arrive by 8AM to have a choice of campsites at Norris. I know less about Madison, but if they take reservations: MAKE THEM ASAP.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:33 AM

smoothie will become famous soon enough

Quote:
If you haven't already made arrangements for a camping site, that should be a top priority for you this week! A lot of the campgrounds in the park take reservations. You can book a site online, or you can call a 1-800 number. Just google it.

There are several campgrounds that are first come first serve...you might need to go that route at this point. The reserved sites fill up fast.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:33 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

here's the link to my photos from my trip to Wyoming/Idaho last year. The pics are not all great but they all have a story and if my group from the trip was looking at the photos there would be some giggles

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjJ8gkDc
Old 04-28-2014, 09:44 PM

gutterpunk will become famous soon enough

It was mentioned in a post, but I will isolate it here: there may not be much fishing in June given the enormous snowpack in the northern Rockies this year. July should be great though, not that such facts help you. But don't let that discourage you--there are plenty of streams that could still be fishable. Go with the best intentions, but be prepared for no fishing too. (also, as was mentioned, many lakes will still be fishable regardless of stream conditions.)
Old 04-29-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterpunk View Post
It was mentioned in a post, but I will isolate it here: there may not be much fishing in June given the enormous snowpack in the northern Rockies this year. July should be great though, not that such facts help you. But don't let that discourage you--there are plenty of streams that could still be fishable. Go with the best intentions, but be prepared for no fishing too. (also, as was mentioned, many lakes will still be fishable regardless of stream conditions.)
This only pertains to the regions affected by deep snowpack in YNP, such as the NE region. The Firehole, Madison, and Gibbon (at least) will be fishable during June.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:50 AM

raptorrickg is on a distinguished road

amazing pics flyfishmich!!!
flyfishmich likes this.