The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2014, 08:20 PM

raptorrickg is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie Going to Yellowstone needs advice

Hello all. I am just getting into the fly fishing life and need some help. I am going to Yellowstone and the Tetons in mid June and I thought since I am going to be there I might as well learn to fly fish. I am looking for any and all advice on gear to buy, outfitters to contact while there and any other advice you pros can offer a fly fishing virgin. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:32 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice
Default Re: Newbie Going to Yellowstone needs advice

best advice I can give is....Start practicing now!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:37 PM

Thanks!! I have been practicing, but the problem is I am not sure what I am doing! LOL I am taking a casting class at Cabelas in a couple of weeks, so hopefully that will help me out on that.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:46 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

A casting class will help alot. Give this video a look, if you havnt already. YouTube has a enormous selection of how-to vids. This one helped me with my timing and realizeing the cause of my open loops.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mid June in the park is likely to be some tough fishing as spring run off should be in full swing. There are lots of lakes to explore if your interested in stillwater fishing. Your profile doesn't show the general area you are located. Is there any water nearby you can fish on prior to heading to the park, maybe some blue gill ponds or maybe bass?

Old 04-24-2014, 09:53 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

Depending on where you will be...
If you have no experience. Hire a guide. Its expensive but you will learn tons of info and leave the frustration on the shore as the guide will help you through it. Plus, they usually provide waders and rods and you can buy flies from them.
There's a nice orvis shop in Jackson Wyoming. There's also a couple of nice shops in Cody. If you go the Montana route I don't know but there's fly shops all over out there. When I went last fall the Yellowstone river was closed due to forest fires. But there is plenty of water to fish on.

There's a few books about fishing Yellowstone and even Wyoming. Here's the one I used.

Fishing Yellowstone National Park (Regional Fishing Series): Richard Parks: 9781560446255: Amazon.com: Books Fishing Yellowstone National Park (Regional Fishing Series): Richard Parks: 9781560446255: Amazon.com: Books

There's many folks on this forum that have had trips out there and a few that live out there. You can also search the forums as there have been a few of the same topics discussed.
Have fun take pictures and come back and write a report.

As far as gear. You will need...rod, reel, fly line, leaders and tippets, flies
A gear bag-I use a back pack and a simms waist pack. Depending how far you hike to the river I sometimes pack everything and hike it in and get ready at the shore---waders wader boots, hat, polarized sunglasses, sunscreen, line nippers, hemostat, trout net, bear spray, camera.

the more you search the more you will find-it will be overwhelming. When I went I did it DIY so we could stay inside the park at the Old Faithful Inn. We stayed there so no money for a guide. You stay outside the park and have money for a guide. Book early. Gus on this forum will give you better information. But you will find sooo much information on the park and its fisheries.

Also, Wyoming fishing license is no good inside Yellowstone. You must purchase a separate license to fish the park.
To me it is the most amazing beautiful place in the world. Take it in.

Last edited by flyfishmich; 04-25-2014 at 12:58 PM. Reason: mis-spelled word
Old 04-25-2014, 06:15 AM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Yes, as Flyfishmich said, PRACTICE. YNP during June has some great fishing in spectacular streams, and it's less challenging than many locations. You'll need the appropriate gear for safety and success, but even a novice should be able to catch fish in the Firehole River during June.

Stop by one of the Yellowstone Park General Stores for a license and free advice on flies to try. Great resource that advice; the geezers who work at those stores usually fish in the park, and they visit with fishermen all day everyday.

I'll be there at YNP June 24-30, so maybe we'll cross paths. If you see a white RAV4 with Mississippi plates, that's me (not much chance of confusion! LOL). Have fun, and take a kid along if you have one. My son and I had our favorite father-son trip at YNP when he was 9. Great place to bond!

Click the image to open in full size.
Taken last summer at YNP - Firehole River!
Old 04-25-2014, 09:15 AM

Great video Mnflyfish!! I will be practicing correctly from now on...or trying too. I was doing all of the things he said not to do lol.

mcnerney...I was planing on doing some bluegill fishing at a little pond near by but I knew my casting was in dire need of help before I tried to actually catch a fish.

flyfishmich...thanks for the info on the book. I will be checking it out. I am almost certainly going to hire a guide while I am there. I can not wait to get out there. I have been to Glacier NP and Denali NP but that was near 30 years ago. I am really looking forward to seeing the mountains again. I also live in Michigan. I am near Lansing. Maybe you can give me some tips on where to fish around here??

chechem...great looking fish! We will be there around June 15 through 28. Maybe we can meet up while we are there. My wife and two daughters will be joining me there as well. my girls are 15 and 12 and have never been west of Chicago. My wife hasn't either for that matter. I am so looking forward to watching them see the mountains for the first time. It is awe inspiring!
Old 04-25-2014, 09:56 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Check this recent thread on visiting YNP...

Planning a YNP Trip - Seeking Advice

In advance, talk to Park's Fly Shop in Gardiner, MT - that would be Walter Wiese who is Longs for Cutts on this Forum:

Parks' Fly Shop Home: fly fishing yellowstone, yellowstone fishing guides, yellowstone fly shop

...or, the guys at Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone:

https://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/

...or, Kelly Galloup at The Slide Inn, down by $3.00 Bridge, on the Madison River:

Kelly Galloup's Slide Inn Fly Fishing Lodge

Where in the Tetons do you plan to stay ?

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 04-25-2014, 10:00 AM

h2ofishfloatski has a spectacular aura abouth2ofishfloatski has a spectacular aura about

Hello,

FlyfishMich gave you solid advice. Do you have your lodging booked? Where are you based out of? Parks Fly Shop in Gardiner offers guided trips for beginners - they will provide gear if needed and show you the basics you need in a friendly, supportive way... Parks' Fly Shop Home: fly fishing yellowstone, yellowstone fishing guides, yellowstone fly shop

This puts you in the NE corner of the Park , which is further from the Firehole, but you can access the Gibbon, maybe the upper Gardner and Straight Creek depending on snowmelt. You may need to dig a bit to find lodging, especially if you need specific dates. Basing out of the West Yellowstone side can provide easier access to the Firehole, etc.

Be aware of a few things: they are doing road work in Yellowstone (a perpetual event on some section of road or another!) just north of Norris, the snowpack is very high this year - I just drove through the north end of the park on Wednesday and it's been a while since I've seen it like this. This means that some waters won't be ready till a few weeks later than "normal". This blog will keep you posted Fly Fishing In Yellowstone National Park as well as Walter's fishing reports at Parks Fly Shop. Good online reading about fishing in the park can be found on their website as well - go to the bottom of their home page and find the large gold lettering that says Hatch Charts, Descriptions of Area Waters, etc. Very solid overview of Park waters and how that locations fishing changes through the season.
mcnerney and littledavid123 like this.