The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: What is up with this trout?

I've seen something similar but don't think this fish's coloration was caused by the same conditions. I say this because this fish has the thing going on with only one side of its body. The one I saw had its entire head discolored this way with the rest of the body normal. It was also a brown trout not a rainbow.

In all these years there was one other case of a fish with 2 skin tones but that will require a blog post. I'm not about to write that whole story into a thread. I'll try to write it while this topic is still current.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-29-2014, 12:06 PM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

I saw one at the club yesterday just like that one......I can't be sure but I think it was a rainbow too. What a coincidence.......hmmmmmmmm

I'm asking around..................

Tight lines,

Joe
len s likes this.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:15 PM

quijibo has a spectacular aura aboutquijibo has a spectacular aura aboutquijibo has a spectacular aura about

They've found lobsters that were two toned (very rare). From what I remember, they think it is a pigment issue.

Fisherman's multi-colored lobster catch 1 in 50 million - CBS News

might be a similar situation?
Old 05-01-2014, 02:29 PM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough
Default We have an answer!

From Dr. Andy Noyes NY State fish Pathologist:

"It's another form of Bacterial Coldwater Disease. My guess is when that fish was YOY (in it's first year of life), infection ensued. The bacteria targets nerve tissue, often on/near the spine and obliterates pigment innervation. Because segmental nerves emanate from left and right sides of the spine, unilateral loss of pigment is common. Nerve damage like this is permanent."

"A pretty interesting phenomenon."

From Michael J. Flaherty
Region 3 inland Fisheries Manager
NYS DEC, Bureau of Fisheries.
New Paltz, NY

Thanks to Patrick L. Sullivan, Lakeville CT and Phoenicia, NY (Patrick made the contacts to get this information for us)

Patrick is a life long fly fisher and writes about fishing in our NW Corner of CT in the Lakeville Journal.
The Lakeville Journal

Tight lines,

Joe

Last edited by oldnewguy; 05-01-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:48 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
I am guessing it has do with where that fish predominately hangs out and there may be a uv or light and shade issue at play.

This was my thought as well.

There is a mega carp that hangs out in a warm water discharge on Lake Michigan. When I say mega..I mean mega. I have spent hours staring at this thing over several outings. No exaggeration, this thing has to easily push 40lbs. Easily.

On it's right side, it is a very light tan. On it's left, it is almost completely black. It sit along a corrugated wall right where the warm water comes out from the factory. The wall is to it's left and the right is exposed - although still shaded.

I have gone to this same spot at least dozen times and it is in the exact same spot every single time.
cochise likes this.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:44 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Here's another effort by Mother Nature...along the same lines..
Click the image to open in full size.
grtlksmarlin likes this.

Last edited by nickj; 05-01-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:38 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
This was my thought as well.

There is a mega carp that hangs out in a warm water discharge on Lake Michigan. When I say mega..I mean mega. I have spent hours staring at this thing over several outings. No exaggeration, this thing has to easily push 40lbs. Easily.

On it's right side, it is a very light tan. On it's left, it is almost completely black. It sit along a corrugated wall right where the warm water comes out from the factory. The wall is to it's left and the right is exposed - although still shaded.

I have gone to this same spot at least dozen times and it is in the exact same spot every single time.
I have seen this on a few fish and usually these fish come form a obvious overhang rock or some feature where the sun will or will not shine on that exact spot for long periods. The green's fish will follow a very territorial behavior at times...and lots of sharp overhangs, very clear water and bright sunshine.

I still firmly believe this is a uv/sunlight/shadow issue.

Typically mishandling results in sores and ick, not a uniform discoloration. The fish looks healthy.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:47 AM

changler will become famous soon enoughchangler will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
I have seen this on a few fish and usually these fish come form a obvious overhang rock or some feature where the sun will or will not shine on that exact spot for long periods. The green's fish will follow a very territorial behavior at times...and lots of sharp overhangs, very clear water and bright sunshine.

I still firmly believe this is a uv/sunlight/shadow issue.

Typically mishandling results in sores and ick, not a uniform discoloration. The fish looks healthy.

I've done a lot of snorkeling in clear streams throughout the south, and it isn't uncommon to watch rock bass and smallmouth change their body coloration and patterns to match their surroundings. It may be that what your seeing is the fishes' attempt to more closely match its surroundings.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:58 PM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all
Default Re: We have an answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnewguy View Post
From Dr. Andy Noyes NY State fish Pathologist:

"It's another form of Bacterial Coldwater Disease. My guess is when that fish was YOY (in it's first year of life), infection ensued. The bacteria targets nerve tissue, often on/near the spine and obliterates pigment innervation. Because segmental nerves emanate from left and right sides of the spine, unilateral loss of pigment is common. Nerve damage like this is permanent."

"A pretty interesting phenomenon."

From Michael J. Flaherty
Region 3 inland Fisheries Manager
NYS DEC, Bureau of Fisheries.
New Paltz, NY

Thanks to Patrick L. Sullivan, Lakeville CT and Phoenicia, NY (Patrick made the contacts to get this information for us)

Patrick is a life long fly fisher and writes about fishing in our NW Corner of CT in the Lakeville Journal.
The Lakeville Journal

Tight lines,

Joe

Thanks for the info oldnewguy!

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:47 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by changler View Post
I've done a lot of snorkeling in clear streams throughout the south, and it isn't uncommon to watch rock bass and smallmouth change their body coloration and patterns to match their surroundings. It may be that what your seeing is the fishes' attempt to more closely match its surroundings.
That is exactly correct. Dark fish light fish...we have all caught them and we can all discern where the trout was likely holding. Typically an issue like this is caused by light or lack thereof...The uv part is my infusion as to why the light or shadow (lack of light) might make such a dramatic coloration darkening or lightening.

I freaking love science!