The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 3 Post By mridenour
  • 4 Post By bear 007
  • 5 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By dwtalso
  • 3 Post By Rip Tide
  • 2 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 09:09 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Tails of pools suck

Hey -- I'm honing more of my dry fly casts, particuarly on small streams. Though I recognize that tails can/do hold a lot of good fish, I struggle to drop a fly in there without instant drag and I don't know whether I've ever actually pulled a fish out of a tail yet.

Any tips for fishing these? I'm approaching them from directly downstream (sneaky) and casting more or less directly upstream, and the line out seems to contact the flow into the next pool (the one I'm standing in) and drag is a problem.

I could try shorter line, but it seems like I'd be literally on top of the fish I'm casting to if I did that.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:13 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tails of pools suck

Wish I could help. Catch most of my fish from the tails by swinging streamers. I do catch a lot of fish from them but I don't even try dries there. I know it can be done.
Hardyreels, mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:16 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Try them from the side if you can, you'll have to be even sneakier, use a reach or slack line cast and make them count, you'll only get a couple of shots before they scatter. If you hit them from above it can really be tough, slack line cast and feed out line, usually I don't get a very long drift this way but its a worth a shot, good luck!
Old 04-28-2014, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear 007 View Post
Try them from the side if you can, you'll have to be even sneakier, use a reach or slack line cast and make them count, you'll only get a couple of shots before they scatter.
That's pretty much how I dealt with tail fish for many years Tim. Small stream = get low, crawl if needed along shore to cut distance. Fish morning or evening to avoid being in direct sunlight or for your cast to be illuminated by direct sunlight.

Once in position relax, observe. Try to spot out every fish in the area so you don't end up spooking one before you ever get a fly on the water. If you spook one in low clear water in a tail you usually have nixed the whole pool except the very head current. So move into position slow, look carefully before making the next 2 or 3 feet. Actually this is a larger part of the game for me, not the catching. If I move in correctly and watch patiently my chances of catching the trout are in the high 90's.

When you are fishing a small stream there is no such thing as going too slow or not covering enough water. The game is to target and catch the fish as you find them. Short casts from close range cause little disturbance. Often when you are close enough you can drift the fly with a high rod tip and have only leader on the water. That will greatly reduce drag.

Pay close attention to the sides of the stream before you commit to the approach. If one side offers more brush or boulders that will break up your profile and allow you to blend in, then take that side. Do that even if it is your weak side for casting, soon you will have no weak side. I could go on but then I'd need to save it into blog huh? Honest, I spent more time doing what I was just saying than I could ever guess at. I've never been one of those guys to lead off with how many years I've been fishing or "I fish 300 days a year", because I have no real idea how many days I've spent doing this Never even close to 300 days a year though, did you ever do the math on those kind of claims? Lets just say I did it enough that I'm no longer in a hurry.

Hope those thoughts and memories help,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-28-2014, 05:36 PM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough

Everything said above. If I find myself at the tail of the pool and I see fish out in the open and there's no choice but to cast across that flow at them, I do a snake cast if there are trees above me (or I think the fish will spook on a high cast) and a pile cast if not. Either way I pretty much accept that the failure rate is really high.

If there are rocks at the tail I might give up on the fish out in the open and high stick to whomever might be lurking in the soft water in front the stones. Once I get to where I'm above the current change I'll worry about the middle and top section of the pool.

Where I fish there's enough water with enough fish that sacrificing the opportunity at the visible-but-hard-to-cast-to fish doesn't bother me too much. If I'm fishing where those might be the only fish of the day I'm going to try to crawl somewhere for a better mending angle .
oldnewguy likes this.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:52 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Hello ! Skate a caddis !

Skating Caddis.... fun.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:26 PM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

I try to get a good pile cast from below in the situation you describe. Drag free doesn't last long but with brookies it doesn't have to. So many times on the smaller streams below the tail is all you get.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:10 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Big fish can definitely hold in the tail. '

There is some good news fishing for them:
1. since tails are often shallower the trout in the tail will have a smaller field of vision than those in deeper parts of the pool allowing us to get a bit closer as long as we stay low.
2. the multiple current lanes that make the dead drift tough often break up the water surface, not always but often.
3. the currents often mean we can wade up closer to them without our wake disturbing them, again not always but often.

I built a 10' 4wt after trying to get a dead drift over a big rainbow in Cheesman. The extra foot gives me a touch more reach allowing me to stay a bit further back or off to the side. Also it can help to remove the indicator, and extra weight if possible using weighted flies to sink. Just tight line, watch the fish, and/or use colored leader sections to detect the strike.

In addition to dead drift, try swinging a fly in front of the fish. Go upstream and to the side enough that you don't disturb the fish. Swing the fly in front of the trout and this can sometimes trigger a strike. Can use streamers or soft hackles or other flies that look buggy or work in the stream.

Actually fished Cheesman today with that 10' 4wt and hooked a big rainbow swinging a juju baetis and rs2 through the tail at the end of a drift. He shot straight downstream and then jumped breaking my 6x. Took me a bit to catch my breath.
oldnewguy and lv2nymph like this.