The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 06:31 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Trout tactics AFTER the rain...

I always use streamers AFTER the rain! Work the banks
ts47 and oldnewguy like this.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:54 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

It's far more dependent upon water conditions than "post-front" conditions on rivers. In fishing lakes, I've always found that the period after a front passes through is tough fishing, but in rivers it doesn't seem to make much difference, other than sometimes the bluebird skies put the fish deeper.

So really your biggest concern is water levels and conditions, and the others have given you good advice for high murky water. Murky water will also negate the problem of bluebird skies to some extent. Fish are going to be wary and deep in clear water and bright skies (often, not always), but they will feel more secure in shallower water if it's murky.
ts47 and oldnewguy like this.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:42 PM

attackone is on a distinguished road

if the north branch is high i would go elsewhere, its very very tuff wading when the water is at normal levels
ts47 likes this.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:47 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks everyone! I hit the fly shop last night for a few final supplies, in part based on your recommendations.

I've got a variety of med - large streamers in olive, brown & black.
I've got a variety of nymphs, including the larger ones I only rarely fish.
I'm bringing San Juan Worms along. I've got a few brown and red.
Finally, I've got some polyleader style leaders and a sinking line or two.

We'll have to scout the areas we like to fish and see what things are like. The North Branch below the dam is supposed to be running between 1,000 and 2,500 cfs for the next four days and between the hours of 10-4:00 while the dam is open. The Savage is supposed to be between 250-500 cfs, but may drop back in a day or two. There's still the Casselman and the areas above both dams that aren't running nearly as fast.

Whatever the conditions are... The truck is loaded. We're leaving at 4:00 in the morning.

Wish me luck and thanks again for all the advice!

Todd
jaybo41 and stenacron like this.

--Irish Blessing
Old 05-01-2014, 07:19 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you're loaded with all the right flies and tools. Now you just need to find water that's decent to fish. Please be sure to let us know how you do. Enjoy the trip!
ts47 likes this.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:24 PM

Day 1... 5 guys, 2 fish caught. ***** creek nymph and red copper john. North branch. Waters down to 500 cfs. Hoping for a better day tomorrow!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

--Irish Blessing
Old 05-01-2014, 11:39 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough

Stay in the cabin and drink beer..... Or maybe walk to the headwaters of some of those bookie streams out there. I would imagine the headwaters would clean up first.
ts47 likes this.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:50 AM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post

Day 1... 5 guys, 2 fish caught. ***** creek nymph and red copper john. North branch. Waters down to 500 cfs. Hoping for a better day tomorrow!

Is 500 CFS high or low (or neither)?

Lose that Beech Creek nymph, replace it with a San Juan Worm, add 1-2 BB shot ahead of the first fly to get it down. Use an indicator just big enough to stay on (near) the surface. Set the indicator to twice the average depth you're working.

Give it an hour, see what happens.

Tight lines.
ts47 likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 05-02-2014, 02:52 PM

Day 2 - 5 fish. Streamers have been useless. Lotsa beer! 8 filets getting cooked on the fire tonight. They've been marinating for 3 days! Trying someplace new tomorrow. 500 is a little high, but still wadeable.

--Irish Blessing
Old 05-03-2014, 08:09 PM

markfrid has a spectacular aura aboutmarkfrid has a spectacular aura about

I'm with you guys - worm patterns, larger nymphs, darker flies, slack water. I also have to give 2 thumbs up to flyguy on the the seams. It doesn't even have to be a clear/murky seam. I've had great luck fishing the slack water along the banks where it meets up with the current seam a few feet farther out. Often, the slack is only a couple feet deep and it's tempting to stand in it to fish the current. The fish hold in the slack and the current brings them goodies. So many times people are standing where they ought to be fishing! Also, though I agree with the idea of using a bigger nymph - I wouldn't overdo it. If the typical nymphs you use are 18's, go with maybe a 16 or 14 in a darker shade. Often does the trick.

If all else fails, buy some more steaks and beer. Pretty much a win-win.

Mark
ts47 likes this.