The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 11:06 AM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about
Default Trout tactics AFTER the rain...

I'm leaving for a 4 day trout fishing trip at O-dark-thirty Thursday morning. I'll be fishing in Garrett County, MD - North Branch of the Potomac, Savage River and Cassleman River.

My problem is it will be steadily raining for the three days prior to my leaving, then turn nice about the time I climb into my truck to leave. The last time I had timing like this, the fishing was great before the rain and then again a few days after the rain. It was darned tough though the few days (we were there) immediately following the rain.

How does this affect trout fishing? And... Do you have any suggestions/tactics that might help me catch a few more fish?

Thanks!

Todd

--Irish Blessing
Old 04-29-2014, 11:36 AM

smilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Trout tactics AFTER the rain...

I have had good success using San Juan Worm under the conditions you describe. I will also use bigger nymph patterns then I usually use. Fish the edges of the stream in high water the fish will move into that slower water.

Hope you have a good trip.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:35 PM

This is the kind of thing I was looking for. I know the low pressure front before a storm can be very good fishing. The high pressure front following a storm tends to shut fishing down, in my experience. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of delaying the trip.

Which would you suggest doing - go big (streamers, larger fly than normal), deep, slow, fast, etc. I'm not certain what a trout's habits are likely to be for the few days following a period of rain?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

--Irish Blessing
Old 04-29-2014, 12:43 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

My personal experience is nothing dramatically different in the rain unless the water gets off color or very swift. Then adjust accordingly, bigger, brighter,flashier etc.

I prefer some light rain/snow for several reasons

1) The fish are already wet so it doesn't bother them (old lame joke I know)
2) It bothers 1/2 the recreational fisherman so less crowds
3) Most importantly in my experience the disruption of the water surface makes it easier for you to sneak up on the fish aka they cant see you as well either.
jaybo41, ts47 and siege like this.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:06 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

If discolored/high/muddy I throw big steamers on the slow shallow sides of streams. Trout will move here because there's no threat from above due to lack of clarity and the slower current.
jaybo41 and ts47 like this.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
My personal experience is nothing dramatically different in the rain unless the water gets off color or very swift. Then adjust accordingly, bigger, brighter,flashier etc.

I prefer some light rain/snow for several reasons

1) The fish are already wet so it doesn't bother them (old lame joke I know)
2) It bothers 1/2 the recreational fisherman so less crowds
3) Most importantly in my experience the disruption of the water surface makes it easier for you to sneak up on the fish aka they cant see you as well either.
I won't be fishing IN the rain, but rather AFTER a period of 3 straight days of rain. This Does make sense though.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
If discolored/high/muddy I throw big steamers on the slow shallow sides of streams. Trout will move here because there's no threat from above due to lack of clarity and the slower current.
Thanks! (Here's the extra test required for me to post this.)

--Irish Blessing
Old 04-29-2014, 02:09 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingduck View Post

I have had good success using San Juan Worm under the conditions you describe.
Absolutely! Great worm bites always follow high water events. People seriously underestimate the number of worms (earthworms and aquatic) that are fair game for fat trout following a toad-strangler.

I like a rusty orange San Juan if the water is clearing, classic red if stained. Get some weight up ahead to get 'em down as needed. No light tippets required!
jaybo41, ts47, siege and 1 others like this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 04-29-2014, 03:10 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

These guys have it covered.

Dark Streamers
San Juan Worms
Dark Streamers
Big Nymphs
Dark Streamers

Along the banks and soft water are good places to find them. As time passes and the water levels come down, look for them to move into feeding lanes gorging themselves on insects. Make sure you have plenty of shot and get your flies down through the water column. If you're swinging streamers, poly leaders or something along those lines would be good to have on hand.
comeonavs, ts47 and smilingduck like this.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:52 PM

tfrank is on a distinguished road

Casselman: I'd recommend streamers/buggers regardless of conditions.

North Branch: Check the flows and be careful. I've waded and fished it at 750 cfs, but fishing was slow and very rough wading. There are spots at this flow rate where the water is right near the bushes along the edge.Some big fish will hang at these edges. There are several spots at bends in the river that you can wade comfortably and fish deeper pools with plenty of room to cast. I would also say sink tip line and be prepared to add weight. I just checked current flows and looks like it is close to 800cfs so it may be unfishable. Oh and streamers/buggers.

Savage: I've never fished in these conditions but the flows are at 127cfs and that is very fishable. About ideal. Whether they can hold it that low or not...
When it hits 250cfs or so it difficult to say the least.

Good luck and let us know how it went. Also, if you haven't yet, you can use google earth to "scout" the N.B. for likely areas to save on exploring time.
ts47 likes this.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:15 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

IF you find small streams joining the larger one, fish that joining. Small streams rise faster but go down faster too,,and oft after a rain are much less stained,,,so you have a clear seam joining a bigger seam that might be murky. Fish lair for sure.
ts47 and siege like this.