The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 7 Post By Rip Tide
  • 5 Post By silver creek
  • 1 Post By turbineblade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 02:01 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Define "in the film"

HI -- what do people mean when they say they're fishing something "in the film"? Is this a situation where something like a dry is totally submerged, but only slightly below the surface....or is sitting lower on the surface like a parachute also described this way?

I'm just wanting to know the lingo -- and I was talking to someone about this recently.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2014, 02:16 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Define "in the film"

There's a tension to the surface of the water known as the film or meniscus that can be difficult for emergers to break through. Naturals that get stuck in the film often struggle attracting attention.
The meniscus is also what supports the dun on the surface.
With the hackle of a dry fly, the intent is to mimic the impressions of the natural's legs/feet that a trout sees from below.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:04 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

I thought it meant the oil slick on the water's surface. Actually Rip Tide's explanation nails it.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:42 PM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

Tight lines,

Joe

Last edited by oldnewguy; 05-05-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Poor joke removed....
Old 05-04-2014, 04:51 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Gary Borger wrote an article called "Film Flies, Five Stages Of Insect Emergence And The Best Flies To Imitate" for Fly Fisherman Magazine. It used to be on the FFM archive but is no longer available. The start of the article is available on the Web archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20101230...ent/film-flies

Film flies are flies that are fished just under, in, and on the film. You have asked about flies "in the film".

As Rip Tide has noted, these are flies that imitate emergers. The use of the single term, “emerger,” to describe these flies and insect stage implies that they have a specific form or shape, but this is far from true.

Emergence is a seamless process. To better understand this process we have divided nymphs from emergers but that division is made so that it is easier for us to understand. For the organism, emergence is a seamless transition.

Most mayflies and caddis emerge in the same fashion. The nymph or pupa plasters it’s back against the underside of the film.

For the mayfly, the floating nymph happens to be the earliest phase of change from nymph to emerger. I find it easiest to think of a floating nymph as an emerger because we fish it as an emerger and the trout take it just like an emerger.

The floating nymph is an emerger and the nymph in or under the film is just a bit earlier before the actual emergence begins.

Floating nymph in my opinion is a misnomer because the nymph is not actually floating on the surface, but in the film. The thorax of the nymph is against the underside of surface film. When the thorax breaks open, the dun begins to emerges into the air. This is the next stage in emergence.

The nymph never actually floats before, during, or after emergence. Only the emerging dun is on the surface using the nymphal body as an underwater platform.

The open thorax of the nymph is analogous to a window from the under water world of the nymph to the surface world of the dun. The dun pulls and craws out of this "window" and leaves the nymphal husk behind under the surface film.

As the dun of the mayfly or the caddis adult, pulls itself out of the thorax of the nymphal/pupal stage, it gradually changes shape from a formless lump emerging from thorax to a fully formed adult.

To better fish this process, Gary split emergence into 5 stages in his FFM article, each of which is imitated by a fly. The floating nymph would be stage 1. Stage 2 would be the early formless lump of the back of the adult protruding from the floating nymph.

See a stage 2 floating nymph pattern here. Notice that it is a nymph pattern with the thorax spit and the dun in the early stage of emergence.

A frequently imitated stage is Stage 3, which is after the head and legs of the insect have emerged. This stage is imitated by the Klinkhammer and parachute adams.

Stage 4 is when the adult has emerged, but the wings of the insect are still not fully extended and the nymphal shuck is still attached.

At stage 5 the insect expands its wings and they start to harden and dry.

So if you are fishing a parachute adams, a sparkle dun, or an X-caddis, you are fishing in the film. You may think of these as adult patterns on the film, but they actually imitate a low riding emerger stage of the adult.

See the discussion below of Gary's book, Fishing the Film, which discusses the parachute adams as an emerger. The supporting parachute hackle is ABOVE the flies body and the body is IN THE FILM.

Reading Fishing the Film by Gary Borger

Rip is correct in that naturals can get "stuck" in the film. These are often called stillborns or cripples.

Cripples or stillborn mayflies are insects that are unable to complete the emergence process. As noted above, the process of emergence can stop at any stage and most of the time these are "stuck in the shuck" insects. So the crippling process can result in a fly that looks just like a normal emerger.

Often times, there is confusion about these flies and the term cripple and emerger are used interchangeably as in the case of the Quigley Cripple.

Just to backslide for a moment, there is a fly called the Quigley emerger.

The Quigley Emerger

Fishing Pictures - Quigley Emerger

There is also a Quigley Cripple that is at a stuck at a later stage of emergence.

Quigley Green Drake Cripple

Click the image to open in full size.

Quigley's Cripple

Somehow this identical fly has morphed on the internet to the Quigley emerger, displacing the earlier stage emerger known also fly by the identical name.

Quigley Green Drake emerger

Quigley’s Green Drake Emerger fly tying video | The Caddis Fly: Oregon Fly Fishing Blog

Calling the same fly by two different names:

http://www.renegadefishers.com/thefl...marchbrown.pdf

Here's an actual picture of a stillborn or cripple mayfly

Crippling can occur at even a later stage when the insect has fully emerged from the shuck but has a deformity so that it is unable to unfold it's wings and it lies on its side, unable to fly off. This stage can also be imitated and it looks different than the above two flies.

Kelly Galloup's version

Utah's Fly Corner: Galloup's cripple Tutorial

Galloup's Slide Inn Fly Shop - Galloup's Cripple

If you want to understand the process of emergence and film flies, get a copy of Gary Borger's Fishing the Film. I was fortunate to be a proofreader (along with John Beth and Jason Borger) for the manuscript. It will expand your knowledge of how to fish that thin film that separates the trout's world from ours.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 05-04-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:36 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I'm blown away by the amount of information here -- .

This kind of stuff is not lost on me, I eat it up. I even showed all of this to my wife who fishes with me most of the time.

I had a very incorrect understanding of emergence actually....I really prefer to actually understand what's going on with the wildlife I'm pursuing.

A lot of the time when I use dries which are essentially CDC comparadun-ish, I'm actually imitating an emerger and not the adults I assumed I was.

Thank you much! This is great!
smoothie likes this.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:01 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

It was 25 years ago this year that Gary Borger published Nymphing, the book that the Editors of Fly Fisherman Magazine called one of the 20 most important books in the modern era of fly fishing.

It is hard to believe that before Gary wrote his book and teaching video on nymphing, most fly fishers fished the dry fly.

Here's a sample of his book that discusses fishing in the film from 20 years ago.

Nymphing - Gary A. Borger - Google Books

If you don't have a copy, used copies are available at very reasonably prices.

Nymphing. by Gary A. Borger - New, Rare & Used Books Online at Alibris Marketplace

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy