The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 10:38 AM

jimmiemac is on a distinguished road
Default Montana August 2008

I am planning my first trip to the West in August 2008. I a would appreciate any suggested patterns to tie and also how many should I plan on taking for a five day trip. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:11 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Montana August 2008

What rivers are you hitting? I have a couple books that show the hatch charts on various rivers in montana.

However, i am just going to throw this out there. The lower madison, lower gallatin, the entire jefferson, bighole, east gallatin, and many other rivers were closed last year in august.

Also, the madison, east gallatin, bighole, and jefferson have been routinly closed in august that last couple years.

There are many other rivers/streams around here that remain open year round, just letting you know what to expect so you arent suprised.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:00 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Montana Ski Bum,

Surprised to hear that so many rivers in Montana close so early. Why would that be?
Old 03-10-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Montana Ski Bum,

Surprised to hear that so many rivers in Montana close so early. Why would that be?
Water temps that push trout mortality threw the roof. One of the many things our fish and game does right here, is shut down water that is too warm to fish for trout.

We have been in a drought for a while now, this is the first year in 7 that our drainages here are above average. Even though we have been in a drought the farmers/ranches still pull there water out of the river, making the rivers low and warm.

On a side note, it has a great benefit for us locals, when the rivers open back up in mid sept, they havent seen fisherman for a while(this year 2 months!) and the fishing is great.

Also in august as far as flys. Hoppers, hoppers, and more hoppers is what i would throw, its the second most fun hatch out here imo. The yellowstone river, which doesnt suffer from the warming that other rivers do, is a great august fishery with hoppers.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:48 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTskibum View Post
. . . when the rivers open back up in mid sept, they havent seen fisherman for a while(this year 2 months!) and the fishing is great.
That's good to hear, since I'll be up in the Yellowstone area Sept. 13-20 (net of travel days).
Old 03-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTskibum View Post
Water temps that push trout mortality threw the roof. One of the many things our fish and game does right here, is shut down water that is too warm to fish for trout.

We have been in a drought for a while now, this is the first year in 7 that our drainages here are above average. Even though we have been in a drought the farmers/ranches still pull there water out of the river, making the rivers low and warm.

On a side note, it has a great benefit for us locals, when the rivers open back up in mid sept, they havent seen fisherman for a while(this year 2 months!) and the fishing is great.

Also in august as far as flys. Hoppers, hoppers, and more hoppers is what i would throw, its the second most fun hatch out here imo. The yellowstone river, which doesnt suffer from the warming that other rivers do, is a great august fishery with hoppers.

Hopefully that won't happen this year with the abundant snowpack in the "Greater Yellowstone Area", but on the other hand it can be difficult for one good year to break a drought.
The rivers should flow adequately though, keep your fingers crossed.

jimmiemac, I agree with Skibum that it would be helpful to know where your planning on spending some time, sure we can get you headed in the right direction.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 03-10-2008, 03:30 PM

jimmiemac is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Montana August 2008 #2

I will be fishing the Ruby river ( private land) and floating the Madison,Bighole and the Jefferson. The dates are August 10-16,2008. Thanks for all your help
Old 03-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Hoppers, hoppers, hoppers and more hoppers!!!

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 03-10-2008, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Montana August 2008 #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiemac View Post
I will be fishing the Ruby river ( private land) and floating the Madison,Bighole and the Jefferson. The dates are August 10-16,2008. Thanks for all your help
Jefferson will 95% likely be closed in middle of august. Oversold water rights make it tough to keep enough water in there to keep it open in august. Bighole has probably a 25% chance of being closed(although every week we get more snow and it is looking better!).

The lower madison will probably be closed, although the upper madison, which is more popular anyways, i dont think i remember ever closing.

The ruby should be good though.