The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2014, 09:14 PM

gkim009 is on a distinguished road
Default advice on my first fly rod.

hello everyone,

ive been ultralight spin fishing and it has gotten boring so i am willing to spend a paycheck on a fly rod.

i mainly fish smaller streams, no more then 6-10ft wide and at the biggest are probably around 25-30ft. the smaller streams i hit have some brush but not too much.

i've done some research on my own and apparently a rod around 7 1/2ft 4wt will suite my kind of fishing. what are your opinions about this?

i am willing to spend no more then $200 for a rod/reel combo, i realize i will not be getting top of the line stuff but i hope i will be able to purchase something that will work smoothly. i also wanted to get your opinions because i will be going to my local fly fishing outfitter to pick out a rod, id like to feel out the rod before purchasing it and i wanna have a idea about pricing so i dont end up paying too much or for something that doesn't suite me.

any other must haves other than a rod/reel? what about flies, can i buy like a pack of flies? waders (still summer so im thinking this will be a later investment towards fall)? chest pack? any suggestions on leaders and tippets?

thanks for your time.
mridenour likes this.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:23 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: advice on my first fly rod.

Welcome

Yes a 7 1/2 foot 4weight should be about perfect

Post your location and someone should be able to dial in the flies for you. As a general rule a Parachute Adams is a solid fly, for me a size 18 is the magic # where I fish. Also a Elk Hair Caddis is a universal dry fly almost everywhere. I have the best luck in a size 16 where I am at.

My $.02 as a beginner you burn through a lot of leaders with the old "wind knot" I would order a dry fly furled leader from Cutthroat (forum sponsor), from there just get a spool of 5x and 6x tippet. You would be good to go for dry fly fishing. That one furled leader should last at least through the year if not next too.

You are right it is fun wet wading small streams in the summer, don't rush in to waders, you will need them but not right away it sounds like.
mridenour likes this.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:34 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

I have an LL Bean SL Ultra in a 5wt (because my Allen 4wt is primo) and I find myself using that rod just as much as my others...
Made in "where ever" but decent and a good price for a full outfit with a nice case. I also have their 9wt for bass and it cranks with the sharkskin line...

Streamlight Ultra Two-Piece Fly Rod Outfits, 3-6 Wt.: Streamlight Ultra Outfits | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-23-2014, 11:16 PM

fishordie is on a distinguished road

Yo JK,

I have to go off the board with this one in that I suggest you don't buy anything at all. I have a bit of experience upon which I base this statement in that I sell all types of fishing of tackle. I cannot tell you how many anglers have sections of their garages dedicated for the storing of fishing gear they bought but found was really not appropriate. Fly fishing is a completely different type of sport than most any other fishing styles in that it is almost completely technique driven.

Too many experienced anglers feel they can transfer their knowledge gleaned from years of catching wonderful fish using other styles such as spin fishing. If you came to me saying you want to catch trout in your local river I could easily set you up and stay well within your budget for a complete spin setup. I could give you some ideas where to fish from the shore or boat, what to look for as far as drop offs, when to use a worm, Powerbait or how and when to use an artificial. No doubt you would do just fine on your first day and be happy as a clam casting lines fair distances with decent accuracy. Assuming the fish were on the chew you would undoubtedly put together a nice catch.

Fly fishing is a different breed of cat. You can save yourself possibly years of frustration and hundreds or thousands of dollars by spending your first monies on a great guide who will also instruct you on how to cast. This guide will also teach you the different type of fly fishing techniques along with why and where one might use each or tailor it for the waters you are opting for. Fly fishing is even worse than golf, where anyone with good hand/eye coordination can hit the ball sometimes, in that you really will not be able to cast they fly even slightly reasonably until you get down the basics. Like golf, If you learn the techniques incorrectly, you could spend years of quality instruction and tons of cash just trying to get rid of bad habits. Also like golf, many times a good friend or family member may be good at it but just cannot teach you even the basics. Great guides are great teachers and maaaan, a great teacher is worth his or her weight in gold.. or platinum or ??.

Fly fishing, for me, and I get to fish over 1/2 the year, is the Mount Everest of fishing in that we are constantly learning and refining our craft. It is not for every angler yet those of us who enjoy it, Love it. If we do not practice, unlike spin fishing, we really do not improve or even get off first base. If we do not have the correct basics to practice we hinder our abilities to even get on base.

So, in my usual long winded way, I highly suggest doing some research on these forums to find what guide or guide service would be best for your area. A full day is recommended but even a half a day would be great. The more guided days the better.

A good guide should have gear for you to use. Again, you performing some market research should help you find a great guide who will also provide you with the basics of fly fishing techniques even while you are getting a line wet, hopefully in some fishy water. Be prepared for just a bit of time where the guide will show you a few casting tips without actually being in fishy water. From there you will be able to make the best use of water holding fish. Of course, you never know, you might be lucky and the practice area will actually be holding a biter or two.

Finally, depending on the waters you are considering fishing, a drift boat guided experience is tough to beat. Granted, this treat may take you out of your 200 dollar comfort zone but is one of the best ways to introduce a new comer or experienced angler to our sport. More miles of water covered with more territory to enjoy. Less new comer frustrations and more of a chance to catch fish. Once you have tried fly fishing from a drift type boat you can make the decision on wade fishing vs. drift boat fishing or a combination of both. If you can find a buddy to join you then you just might find a guide in your price range by splitting the cost. The guide will be able to teach both of you. Additionally, the guide might be able to suggest an outfit for you once he has seen you, gotten some insight into your abilities and knows what waters you plan on fishing along with what time of year. Granted, this day of guided service will not leave you with a shiny new toy but it will leave you with the proper footing to begin your fly fishing life.... And yes, if you are like the rest of us, this becomes a life style. You just might find the 4 weight is not appropriate for the majority of your needs on your water or waters of choice. Undoubtedly this will keep you from dedicating garage space for your newly acquired, but possibly inappropriate rod/reel choice.

Most folks take years to develop decent or good fly fishing techniques or even when to use a particular type of fly depending on their time on the water. The use of a great guide, even for one day, will cut that time frame for learning drastically and set you on a path for success in what, in my opinion, is the ultimate form of fishing.

Best of luck.

Jamie
dhaynes likes this.

Last edited by fishordie; 06-23-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:26 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

A casting lesson would be good first, visit a well stocked fly shop then cast as many as you can, one will stand out to you .
mridenour likes this.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:14 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

For your $200 it would be extremely hard to go wrong with a Redington CT rod ($75-100) and a Cortland Retro or similar reel ($75) with a discontinued SA or Rio line ($50). It sounds like you would mostly be fishing small streams for trout, a 3 or 4wt to should be fine unless you are planning to hook into some big (20"+) fish on a regular basis.

Just my 2c...

Chase
mridenour likes this.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:34 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I think that you can get some really good equipment for $200, especially if you buy used. There is some great almost pristine gear used out there. Heck, you may even find someone that will sell a nice outfit for less than that. You just have to make sure that the rod has the ability to cast well at the distances you fish at. The reel doesn't matter so much for getting started on smaller streams and fish.

I wouldn't take the advice about getting a guide too seriously. It looks like you know where the fish are and where you are going to be fishing. Money would be better spent on a casting lesson or two and get to know the guys at the local shop for advice on presentation and fly selection.

Find an experienced person with a fly rod to take along on some outings and pick his brain. Getting your fly in front of a fish doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to be effective.

The most important part of getting proficient with the fly is to forget you own spinning gear. Don't have a back-up plan. Succeed or fail with the fly rod in your hand.

You will find that you won't always catch them doing it the right way and sometimes you will rake them in doing it the wrong way so be willing to try all sorts of things. Good luck!
Old 06-24-2014, 05:20 PM

gkim009 is on a distinguished road

thanks for yall's responses, it means a lot and i appreciate it.

it sounds like the best thing to do is check out my local fly fishing outfitter and try out a few different rods. im also hoping by purchasing my first set up there they will be kind enough to inform me on the basics and even give me some pointers.

for the suggestion to get a guide, i've thought about it but im willing to take the time to learn and fix my mistakes. i like to teach myself new things and fly fishing would be another challenge that i am willing to take.
enolaeagle, grtlksmarlin and spm like this.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:50 PM

enolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of lightenolaeagle is a glorious beacon of light

Catch one fish and you'll be addicted whether you suck at casting or not

Chief Thread Starter
Mother Approved...
Old 06-24-2014, 06:57 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkim009 View Post
hello everyone,

ive been ultralight spin fishing and it has gotten boring so i am willing to spend a paycheck on a fly rod.

i mainly fish smaller streams, no more then 6-10ft wide and at the biggest are probably around 25-30ft. the smaller streams i hit have some brush but not too much.

i've done some research on my own and apparently a rod around 7 1/2ft 4wt will suite my kind of fishing. what are your opinions about this?
First of all, the width of the stream is NOT as important as whether there are trees overhanging the stream.

I fish the 3 different streams below with a 7.5 ft 3 wt, and 8.0 ft 4 wt and an 8.5 ft 5wt. The 8.5 ft rod is NOT too long.

Click the image to open in full size.

What is most important is casting room AND how good a caster your are.

When I don’t have overhead casting space, I can stand on the stream bank or on one side of the stream use a sidearm cast so the “casting lane” is lower and over the water. I can direct my casts UNDER overhanging branches and that can be where the fish are.

Every 6” in fly rod length makes a huge difference so don’t go short unless you absolutely have to. A short fly rod is NOT like a short ultra light spinning rod. With a short ultra light spin rod you can still cast a long distance and you don’t need to mend line or keep line off of the water.

A fly rod is a casting and fly line mending (line manipulation) tool. You fish with the rod, and not just cast with it and reel back.

You can fish the streams above with a 7.5 ft rod but you will be sorry when you get on those 25' - 30' wide streams. I don't know exactly what you will be fishing, but my gut tells me that an 8.0 footer would be a better choice that a 7.5 footer.
grtlksmarlin likes this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy