The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 04:16 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice
Default Streamer junkies!

I wanted to throw this topic out there...how many of yall are addicted to tossing sink lines and meaty streamers to trout? I can't get enough of it!! I love watching the streamers move in the water, love using a nice stout rod, and the takes are awesome.

so lets see some pics and talk setups I personally switch between a tfo mangrove 6wt and tfo clouser 8wt...both with Allen reels.
fyshstykr, mridenour and ejsell like this.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:18 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Streamer junkies!

I'm a Winston user, I own 6 winstons, my go to rod is the b2mx 6wt with sink tip or wf line. 24inches of 10 pound maxima chameleon attached to line,then 18-24 inches of maxima ultragreen 2-8 pound.Four to five feet is all you need.I use a hardy demon with interchangeable spools and a ross f1 no.3.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:27 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

Nice! I think we need to make this a "trout caught with big streamer" thread
Old 06-29-2014, 07:59 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

I use a 7'6 Redington Predator with the Rio Powerfly line. Depending on conditions I will either use 1x fluoro or a versileader. Cant wait til fall for the big browns to come out and play.

- Tyler

Old 06-29-2014, 09:05 PM

cowger10 will become famous soon enoughcowger10 will become famous soon enough

I love my 9' Cabela's LTech 6wt.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:55 PM

Seems like everyone so far likes a 6wt. I believe its ideal for most of my fishing too. The 8wt is best for big water and heavy flows.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:29 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

I fish an LL Bean 8'6" 5 wt and a Leichi Qingdao 10' 7. The big rod excels at slinging a heavy sink tip and a big fly, although once I have a fish on, it's a little too much rod for anything under about 16". I do love streamer fishing -- nothing quite like that big dead yank, is there.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:35 PM

Its a great feeling!! I'm a big fan of kelly galloup and follow his method of tying unweighted articulated streamers. Even in small creeks I use them with an intermediate tip line. 3asy to cast and great action!
Old 06-29-2014, 10:44 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I use 6 wt as well. Either the Allen Flyfishing Xa2, Orvis T3, or Helios. Type III. And VII are my go to. I use 6 lb P-Line fluoro for leader. Caught a few 30+" on this set up. Love the articulated stuff, but don't use them that often.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:48 AM

fishordie is on a distinguished road

I love my G Loomis NRX series of rods. I use mostly the 7 Wt with multiple spools on my Nautilus reels. If I go to a giant streamer, mouse or big reticulated I might go with the 8 Wt. I have 7 or 8 Wt. S.A. Shark Skin weight forward floating and Streamer Express 250 grain lines depending on the depths or speed I am drifting in order to get the fly down where I want it. I bought several sets of these lines when they first came out and love them but a ton of folks did not like the finger abrasion of the sharkskin line. When I run out of my inventory I am going to try the S.A. Mastery textured series of similar lines which do not have the same bite on the fingers, or so I am told. I love these lines for casting and mending and do not mind the bit of noise they make going through the guides. I throw streamers whenever and where ever I can.

Best of luck with your choice.

Jamie
Joni likes this.