The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2014, 10:42 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Best Buddy learning to fly fish and I.

Best friend of 30 plus years, finally caved and got a fly rod set up. He settled on the TFO Lefty Krey, and a little Okuma reel. He snapped a few pics of me and I got one of the newbie. Happy to report his cast is coming along nicely.
We're fishing in a small river stream down in front of my place about a 20 minute walk downstream.
I'm just wading in wind pants; he's in the waders.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:13 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all
Default Re: Best Buddy learning to fly fish and I.

Nice little stream, too. What isn't? How'd you do?
noreaster likes this.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:10 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

Teaching a non-fly fishing buddy to fish can be a blast. You will now have fishing partner for life.
noreaster likes this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 07-11-2014, 06:43 PM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
Nice little stream, too. What isn't? How'd you do?
He got his first trout. Only a finger ling. But not skunked. I caught a few around the 10 inch mark . Released all. The sea run is a little unstable with the Arthur storm. I think a storm like that takes them out to the estuary for a bit while the waters calm.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutThroat Leaders View Post
Teaching a non-fly fishing buddy to fish can be a blast. You will now have fishing partner for life.
I think he's buying a kevlar Wenohna canoe. So hopefully I'll be teaching him to cast from a boat.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:57 PM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

That looks like a pretty quiet creek. I'm assuming not all too well traveled? I love to fish the little veins of water around this area. Not too many of them that aren't 2-3 hours out, but they are well worth the drive! The fish are so much more aggressive and they seem to bite on flies that may not be the perfect match. I think they're just hungry.

I'll bet anything your friend is hooked after that fingerling. That's all it takes! Nice job.
hairwing530 and noreaster like this.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebum View Post
That looks like a pretty quiet creek. I'm assuming not all too well traveled? I love to fish the little veins of water around this area. Not too many of them that aren't 2-3 hours out, but they are well worth the drive! The fish are so much more aggressive and they seem to bite on flies that may not be the perfect match. I think they're just hungry.

I'll bet anything your friend is hooked after that fingerling. That's all it takes! Nice job.
It is a quiet creek but fairy well known for a hole or two. Mostly fished by bait fishermen. There is a guy on the team Canada fly fishing team who likes to fish this water course as well. He's tapped into the same vein of appreciation as me. However not many have the discipline and determination to walk the extra mile (literally) to get to the best fly fishing spots which are subsequently mucky, hazardous cast wise and subject to tidal influence with the rise and falls in water levels. Some of the quietness in the water may be due to a high tide influence on the stream.

In my mind these waters represent entirely what I strive for in a fly fishing experience. That being, solitude, stillness, quiet, nature, and the quarry of course. There are much more popular, big fish producing waters about 25 min drive away, but I am more happy with what is a 25 min walk from my door.
cab likes this.

Last edited by noreaster; 07-20-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
In my mind these waters represent entirely what I strive for in a fly fishing experience. That being, solitude, stillness, quiet, nature, and the quarry of course.
AMEN to that!! I didn't get into this sport to hang out with the masses. "Stillness" describes it well!
noreaster and oldnewguy like this.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
AMEN to that!! I didn't get into this sport to hang out with the masses. "Stillness" describes it well!
I feel for the folks around the forum who find it hard to find a quiet stretch to call their own.
I guess I am spoiled t be from the Canadian east coast where things are fairly quiet; at least on all the lttle fishing holes anyways.

I see you are from Oregon.. Few years back the same buddy in the OP and I went to The Caddis Fly shop in Eugene. The guy and other guides we spoke to, didn't seem to say much about the trout fishing in the area. Are there not any native trout in your waters to fish from spring to fall?

Last edited by noreaster; 07-15-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:27 PM

"Native" is a funny word isn't it? There are few fish in this area that are truly native. Some have been in the waterways longer than other and some are more desirable to target than others. Depending on the system you're fishing, you could hit rainbows, cuts, sea run cuts, browns, brookies, bulls, redbands and even some "cut-bows" if you get lucky.

The bummer is that our state fish and wildlife seem a little too focused on the anglers who need to take fish home with them, usually bait/gear folks. We have a large hatchery program for the sake of the over-fished anadromous population, that many argue is destroying not only the trout, but also those it's trying to protect. We also have, what some would consider to be, a brook trout infestation in some of our waterways. I don't mind them too much because I think brookies are one of the more beautiful trout out there, but the debate is pretty hot right now in some places. Some waterways have actually removed all of one species of trout, poisoned the water to kill off the brookies, restored the water then put the removed species back in the water! Amazing to me

I think that a lot of fly fisherman in these parts are so focused on salmon & steelhead that they just kind of forget about targeting trout (at least during certain times of the year). From Spring to Fall we have a really active half-pounder season, a crazy springer salmon run and an even crazier Summer steelhead run. Anadromous fish everywhere! The rivers get pretty busy, sometimes to the point of combat fishing.

That's when I go off to my quiet little fisheries and target the trout a lot of others have forgotten. Don't get me wrong, steelhead are my first love/passion, but sometimes it's time to get away
noreaster likes this.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
"Native" is a funny word isn't it? There are few fish in this area that are truly native. Some have been in the waterways longer than other and some are more desirable to target than others. Depending on the system you're fishing, you could hit rainbows, cuts, sea run cuts, browns, brookies, bulls, redbands and even some "cut-bows" if you get lucky.

The bummer is that our state fish and wildlife seem a little too focused on the anglers who need to take fish home with them, usually bait/gear folks. We have a large hatchery program for the sake of the over-fished anadromous population, that many argue is destroying not only the trout, but also those it's trying to protect. We also have, what some would consider to be, a brook trout infestation in some of our waterways. I don't mind them too much because I think brookies are one of the more beautiful trout out there, but the debate is pretty hot right now in some places. Some waterways have actually removed all of one species of trout, poisoned the water to kill off the brookies, restored the water then put the removed species back in the water! Amazing to me

I think that a lot of fly fisherman in these parts are so focused on salmon & steelhead that they just kind of forget about targeting trout (at least during certain times of the year). From Spring to Fall we have a really active half-pounder season, a crazy springer salmon run and an even crazier Summer steelhead run. Anadromous fish everywhere! The rivers get pretty busy, sometimes to the point of combat fishing.

That's when I go off to my quiet little fisheries and target the trout a lot of others have forgotten. Don't get me wrong, steelhead are my first love/passion, but sometimes it's time to get away
Wow can't imagine poisoning brookies. Here the rainbows are the more invasive and aggressive fish. They eat and dominate the brookies for spawning grounds. Your fishery sounds quite complicated with many/multiple resource management issues.