The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By firemandivi
  • 1 Post By fly_guy12955
  • 2 Post By dwtalso
  • 3 Post By silver creek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 03:51 PM

firemandivi is on a distinguished road
Default Trout Stream Investigation

I am just getting back into fly fishing after taking close to 20 years off. I got started when I was a kid around 14 or so. My 8th grade biology teacher got me started, still have almost all the flies he gave me too. Well now I'm 36 and getting back into it and getting my kids into it also.

When I fished I always had a hard time figuring out what the fish where feeding on if they weren't feeding from the surface. Back then I thought it was bad form to disturb the rocks and see what kind of invertebrates and such where under them. Now it seems to be a very common practice, at least from the few books I have read. Has that changed in the past two decades or was I wrong back then? I'm tempted to get a mesh net and turn some rocks over but I don't like the idea of disturbing a stream like that but I also don't know of any other way to determine what lives in the stream.

Also I remember that you weren't suppose to touch the trout with your bare hands as you would then remove the coating the fish had on its body. You where suppose to remove the hook while the fish was in the net and then release it. Of course if your keeping the fish that is a whole different story. Was the coating thing just an old wives tail?

Like I said I've been out of it for close to 20 years and I'm doing a heck of a lot of reading trying to get back into it. Also spending some time on the streams, but never enough. Thanks for letting me pick your brains.
siege likes this.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:48 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Trout Stream Investigation

Others will prob give you better answers,,but yes I look under rocks to see whats what all the time. I just lay the rock back down easily and try not to kill anything under it.
Releasing trout,,,,I try to hold my long'ish handle net between my legs as it floats with the trout in the net...hold my tippet about an inch or two in front of the trouts mouth,,and try to nab my fly and ease it out out with my forceps. If the fish is moving it might take a try or two but I usually get it this way. So, yes,,the 'slim' on a trout is very important to the trouts health. Not an ol' wives tale at all. More and more I'm quashing the barbs on my hooks,,,I can really see no more fish getting off than with bards myself. Makes release a much easier thing for you and the fish.
siege likes this.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:24 PM

dwtalso will become famous soon enoughdwtalso will become famous soon enough

A river system, even a tiny one, is not so fragile that rolling a rock or two will disturb it. If every angler in a high pressure area did it that might be different, but in the vast majority of places it won't matter. Keep the rock wet, don't let the insects dry out, and put it back where you got it. No problem .

The slime on a fish is not a wives tale; it's there and dry hands or rough handling can slough it off and cause problems. If you are going to handle the fish wet your hands first and don't let the fish thrash against rocks, gravel, or grass. Rough nets can be hard on the fish too.

The biggest issue is keeping the fish out of water while handling it. There are several studies now that seem to indicate that the most severe risk to fish is keeping them in the air too long. Fish that are in the air for 30 seconds or more seem to have a much higher mortality rate so avoid that more than anything else.

Having said all that, don't be afraid to handle a fish, just do it smartly with consideration for the fish's needs. If you are going to take pictures or want to show a fish to someone, keep the animal netted and fully submerged and only lift it out of the water for a few seconds. Use a deep net and keep the fish in clear, moving water while you have it corralled.
fly_guy12955 and siege like this.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:50 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

It is acceptable to turn over rocks and even pull some aquatic vegetation so see the nymphs and scuds on the vegetation. The “damage” you do is minimal compared to “damage” you do by wading in a stream during fishing. The thing to remember is to check the for aquatic food where you are going to fish. Rocks in the riffles can have different bugs than rocks in a pool.

Keep your hands wet and keep the fish in the water if you can. Turning trout upside down will disorient them and they will struggle less. You can use this trick to calm a fish.

When wading watch out for spawning redds in the early spring and late fall. They are round areas in the bottom that a free of silt. You will see them if you look for them. A single episode of wading through a redd can kill 75% of the eggs and alevin.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 07-12-2014, 08:25 PM

siege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud ofsiege has much to be proud of

Welcome to the forum, firemandivi !
Glad to have you join us, and look forward to your posts and questions.
As you will and have already seen, there is always someone here to answer your questions. Tight lines !
Old 07-15-2014, 02:43 PM

pheldozer is on a distinguished road

the beds of a stream are in a constant state of flux, and turning over a rock here and there won't have a lasting impact on anything. (IMO)

wet your hands and hold your breath when you take the fish out of the water.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:00 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemandivi View Post

......When I fished I always had a hard time figuring out what the fish where feeding on if they weren't feeding from the surface.....

Like I said I've been out of it for close to 20 years and I'm doing a heck of a lot of reading trying to get back into it. Also spending some time on the streams, but never enough. Thanks for letting me pick your brains.
As I reread your initial post, it seems to me that you are saying that you have difficulty reading water.

If that is so, I wrote a reply to another post about reading water that I think will help you. Go to my FAQ, referred in the post and then read the entire discussion on the thread.

Nymphing fast water?

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy