The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ts47
  • 1 Post By ben664
  • 2 Post By mdogs444
  • 1 Post By chi flyfisher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2014, 12:29 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice
Default From Salmon River NY to Pere Marquette MI

Hi !

Last fall, I tried the Salmon River during almost 2 weeks, late Oct. I really liked this fishery, the atmosphere of the place, steelhead, ect...

This year, I will be back there with my fishing buddy, this time in november (to avoid snaggers).

I'm really hooked with steelhead fishing, but next year, I'd like to try an other river of the Great lake area.

I heard that Pere Marquette is one of the best river for steelheads of the Great lake region, but:

Is the fishing is different than the Salmon River ? (mostly with egg patterns and indicators)

Is it possible to wade or only fishable with boat ?

Anyway, if someone know this rivers (the SR and the PM), I would be grateful to hear your reviews/advices

Thanks !
Old 07-24-2014, 12:45 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: From Salmon River NY to Pere Marquette MI

I can't comment on other rivers. My 11 year old son and I will be steelhead fishing the Salmon River, NY with a guide the first couple days in November this year. It will be my first experience with the Salmon River and with steelhead. I'm so excited!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
gzarboni likes this.

--Irish Blessing
Old 07-24-2014, 12:58 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts47 View Post
I can't comment on other rivers. My 11 year old son and I will be steelhead fishing the Salmon River, NY with a guide the first couple days in November this year. It will be my first experience with the Salmon River and with steelhead. I'm so excited!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Well, I think you'll be hooked ! Be prepared for good and also bad fishing days. Some days you can have more than 20 hook ups, and others 0.
ts47 likes this.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:34 PM

mdogs444 is on a distinguished road

There are definately places to wade fish on the upper Pere. But there are a lot of drift boats too....sometimes its also comical with the traffic jams they cause.....but no different than the Salmon River.

Other great steelhead places to fish in the fall are the Cattaraugus in NY. You wont really see any boats at all, and its big water like the Salmon is with a nice fall run. 20 Mile on the east side of PA gets a good run as well. Moving more into the spring, around January/February, check out the Ohio tribs where I live. Chagrin River, Grand River, Conneaut, and Rocky River are all productive rivers - if you follow the conditions. You wont ever see a drift boat either.
ben664 and ejsell like this.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:13 PM

ejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura about

I've never fished the PM but have the Betsie, Platte and a trib into the Manistee the last couple of falls. Michigan stocks a strain of steelhead that primarily runs in late winter and spring so while there are some in the system there aren't as many as you'll find in eastern Ohio and Pennsylvania during the fall. Because of that we thought about moving our trip this year to Pennsylvania but decided to give Michigan one more shot. The Salmon runs have been pretty big the last couple of years in the fall and we all had nice hookups on them. On the plus side we didn't fight any crowds and Michigan is definitely a beautiful place to visit in the fall.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:01 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

IMO fishing for Steelhead on the PM is one of the best experiences you can have on the Great Lakes tribs. Sure there are drift boats that can hit or cover the major holes but there is a ton of water and alot driftys pass over water that may not be the most "ideal" water, leaving the wading angler plenty of shots at fish. Also, unless a hole is extremely hot, people move from them, you can get into them, and it could turn on for you. Also, when it's really cold, raining sleet and snow, and miserable, you'll find a lot less anglers. Guide trips will be out there because they're booked so far in advance, but there will be less walk/wade guys or guys who just hit the river - unless you're like me

Wading the PM can be a blast, but it can also be impossible if the flows are high. I hike and wade it quite a bit but I always wedge a guide trip in if I can because I can see a ton more river and see where they're laying and give myself a leg up for when I do set out with the backpack.

I love the PM. It often times does not produce huge numbers. But they're wild fish, and they're spectacular.

Cheers,
Mike.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:13 PM

Nice.

Thanks for replys guys.

Also on the Salmon River, when the water is hight, it's almost impossible wading more than 60 yards.

The reason I ask, is because on almost every videos of the PM, we can see drift boats, and very few wade fishing action