The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 06:10 PM

tedwin183 is on a distinguished road
Default Absorbine Jr. On fly line?

I've been hearing lately that people are using Absorbine Jr. To ward off noseeums and black flies this year with great success. My question is if anyone knows whether or not this stuff is safe for fly lines. If anyone has any insight on this, I'd love to hear it. I've been getting eaten alive up in SW Wisconsin this year.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:45 PM

johnstoeckel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Absorbine Jr. On fly line?

Not sure about the fly line issue. I have been using it and haven't noticed any problems with my fly line.

I will vouch that it repels the black flies / buffalo gnats better than anything else I've tried (except a head net). It does come in a bottle with a dauber / roll-on applicator, so I don't think you'd get it on your hands (and subsequently fly line). You do need to reapply it fairly frequently, every hour or so. I keep it in my pocket and daub some on my checks, neck and back of hands when needed.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dang, now you tell me, I was nearly eaten alive by black flies on the Green river a couple weeks ago while fishing with Muzzy. The DEET did a great job keeping the skeeters at bay, but did nothing for those pesky black flies.
I would try my best to keep that stuff off your fly line, they are just too expensive to take a risk at ruining.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:45 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

If you have an old flyline hanging around, or can spare a couple of inches from the reel end of a useable line, it would be easy to test. I have the line, but no Absorbine Jr. It's great stuff for sore muscles and arthritis pain.

Be careful !
Full strength Absorbine is horse linament, and much stronger than " Jr.". I can actually burn your skin.
They also sell a line of fly sprays that are available at veterinary supply stores. Might even be more effective than muscle rub.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:16 AM

I guess I haven't ever destroyed a fly line with chemicals before. What exactly would I be looking for? I'd imagine discoloration and probably cracking?

I am so willing to risk it though. The biting flies and midges have been absolutely brutal this year.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:07 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Absorbine Jr. On fly line?

Totally fascinating thread! And this past week there have been 'Well I'll be darned' here and on the Mother Board.

Who Knew? Who Knew?????
Old 08-05-2014, 02:18 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I had a squeeze bottle of GI bug stuff leak in my briefcase once. It melted my AM/FM radio. It took a week of exposure to the air before the plastic hardened.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 08-05-2014, 02:48 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I find it very hard to believe that Absorbine Jr has any effect at all on black flies.(I've heard the same about Listerine)
They could care less about 100% DEET. Something less isn't going to any effect at all.
As I remember there's something like 40 different species of north American blackfly so maybe it works on some, but no way on the "meanest" ones.
Only headnets or a cloud of smoke around your head will deter those demons.
There's a reason why in old photos that the old woodsmen always had a pipe in their mouths.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:05 PM

I'm a Ph.D. candidate in entomology right now, studying pesticide effects as well as pheromonal effects and other chemical cues in insects. If black flies use other chemical cues outside of 1-octan-3-ol to locate blood sources (as do many of their close relatives), then no amount of DEET will help you. From what I know about their locating behaviors, they actually release a pheromone that attracts other black flies to the blood source they've found.

Regardless, it's perfectly within reason that some combination of chemicals could repel black flies and biting midges. And besides, countless anecdotal evidence is enough for me to go spend $2 on a bottle and give it a try. In fact, I urge as many people as possible to give it a try and post your results on here! It could be a hidden gem!

I'm going up to the driftless next week with a bottle to give it a try! I'll report back with my results.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:24 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Absorbine Jr. does seem to work on the gnats but I think you need to reapply every 20 minutes or so if they are really bad. Bug Soother is another product that seems to work well for the gnats.