Farmington River, CT....a close 2nd to the Upper Delaware

Walter1023

Reaction score
I went solo on 8/4/14 to the farmington ....which as a dry fly guy is my favorite river ever. I've only fished the Northeast so I can't attest to what is out west.....but in this area the Upper Delaware has no equal IMHO...except...the Farmington is a unique tailwater in its own right and my personal favorite...sz 16/18 ants sz 14 to 18 suplhurs...some BWOs and and even some griffith gnats worked well.

jeed

Reaction score
beautiful catches you got there! its threads like these that make me want to bite the bullet and take a few trips up north before the summers' over!

Walter1023

Reaction score
Hit the same river yesterday a day full of browns and rising trout...but this guy was my biggest I normally don't beach a fish but the next photo I took shows him after I quickly rehab'd him,,,,,he's next to a nice sized boulder:

mjkirshner

Reaction score
I just came back from there (8/8 - 8/10) and had a great time! My first fly fishing experience outside of South Florida, and I caught my first trout ever. I went with a guide on the first day, and we (he) caught a juvenile salmon and a brown, and then (me!) a rainbow. I learned how to Euro nymph, and then we switched to dry flies.

The river was beautiful.... except the time I stumbled and went face-first into it. Water is wetter when it's inside your waders...

I fished alone the next two days, and didn't catch anything. Several fish snapped at the flies but missed. I think they have dyslexic trout in that river.

I look forward to going back.

Walter1023

Reaction score
The Farmington Trout can be very tough at times...outside of the Upper Delaware - its probably the 2nd toughest trout river for me - its a tailwater..."some" (not most) of them are wild - and they get fished to all day long by everyone and their brother. Glad you had some action and enjoyed your trip.

pheldozer

Reaction score
fingers crossed that they keep the release low for a week! it's awesome that the extra flow has kept the water temps down, but makes wading a little tricky in some of my favorite holes. that being said, snagged this big girl last week on the lower TMA

patrick62

Reaction score
I like the section above Riverton and the confluence of the Farmington and Still Rivers. It's smaller and a little squirrelly at times, and as such does not have the theme park feel of the catch and release sections.