The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 6 Post By Walter1023
  • 1 Post By jeed
  • 1 Post By Walter1023
  • 3 Post By mjkirshner
  • 2 Post By pheldozer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 02:12 PM

Walter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really nice
Default Farmington River, CT....a close 2nd to the Upper Delaware

I went solo on 8/4/14 to the farmington ....which as a dry fly guy is my favorite river ever. I've only fished the Northeast so I can't attest to what is out west.....but in this area the Upper Delaware has no equal IMHO...except...the Farmington is a unique tailwater in its own right and my personal favorite...sz 16/18 ants sz 14 to 18 suplhurs...some BWOs and and even some griffith gnats worked well.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:26 PM

jeed is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Farmington River, CT....a close 2nd to the Upper Delaware

beautiful catches you got there! its threads like these that make me want to bite the bullet and take a few trips up north before the summers' over!
mcnerney likes this.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, that looks like some awesome water with gorgeous trout!

Old 08-12-2014, 07:13 PM

Walter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really nice

Hit the same river yesterday a day full of browns and rising trout...but this guy was my biggest I normally don't beach a fish but the next photo I took shows him after I quickly rehab'd him,,,,,he's next to a nice sized boulder:

ejsell likes this.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:43 AM

mjkirshner is on a distinguished road

I just came back from there (8/8 - 8/10) and had a great time! My first fly fishing experience outside of South Florida, and I caught my first trout ever. I went with a guide on the first day, and we (he) caught a juvenile salmon and a brown, and then (me!) a rainbow. I learned how to Euro nymph, and then we switched to dry flies.

The river was beautiful.... except the time I stumbled and went face-first into it. Water is wetter when it's inside your waders...

I fished alone the next two days, and didn't catch anything. Several fish snapped at the flies but missed. I think they have dyslexic trout in that river.

I look forward to going back.
Rip Tide, Walter1023 and ejsell like this.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:10 AM

The Farmington Trout can be very tough at times...outside of the Upper Delaware - its probably the 2nd toughest trout river for me - its a tailwater..."some" (not most) of them are wild - and they get fished to all day long by everyone and their brother. Glad you had some action and enjoyed your trip.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:01 AM

pheldozer is on a distinguished road

fingers crossed that they keep the release low for a week! it's awesome that the extra flow has kept the water temps down, but makes wading a little tricky in some of my favorite holes. that being said, snagged this big girl last week on the lower TMA

Walter1023 and ejsell like this.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:47 AM

patrick62 is on a distinguished road

I like the section above Riverton and the confluence of the Farmington and Still Rivers. It's smaller and a little squirrelly at times, and as such does not have the theme park feel of the catch and release sections.