The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2014, 03:50 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice
Default The mighty atlantic

Hey folks,
I have been away from the site for a bit and want to present you with a tale of wow. Fishing last week with a friend and he hooked into his first atlantic salmon. It was min 10lbs and he was rocking a 5wt Cortland rod and Orvis Battenkill. He fought hard and well for 8mins and at the end the salmon won breaking the tippet. I asked him why he was using a 5 wt and his response was he was fishing for trout and not salmon. I thought this interesting as he was fishing a green machine in a salmon pool. The Rod and reel worked well and no damage was seen on either one. Once it was long line released our fishing buddy and guide made the greatest statement anyone could. "That's why they call it fishing and not catching." I offered my friend to use my spare 9wt but he declined as the fight was fun on the 5.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 08-15-2014, 04:38 PM

tail of the pool is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool
Default Re: The mighty atlantic

Not good ethics, stressing a majestic and soon to be extinct Atlantic Salmon by being undergunned is just not right.... NO EXCUSES IMO
I think I fish, in part, because it’s an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. –John Gierach
Old 08-15-2014, 06:14 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Oh I agree but I can't force him to use my rod. I tried to educate.
mcnerney likes this.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 08-15-2014, 06:34 PM

Yes you can, do not go fishing with him, Walk out in and snap his line or step on his rod, Unethical friends like that a well...I think I will stop there... Can you tell I am originally from the East Coast..

Almost a case of guilt by association

As per your quote, just trying to educate......
I think I fish, in part, because it’s an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. –John Gierach
Old 08-16-2014, 10:21 AM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

Quote:
Yes you can, do not go fishing with him, Walk out in and snap his line or step on his rod
I waited overnight after seeing this before replying ... I think this is a bit extreme. We're not talking here about a guy wearing down a fish on a 2-weight until it's coming in on its side after forty minutes. The guy plays it for ten minutes on a 5 and then it snaps his tippet. Big deal. I get where you're coming from, but those fish swim hundreds of miles and climb in some cases thousands of feet above sea level. It'll be OK. I don't think fishing with a slightly sub-optimal rod is the crime you're making it out to be. You're an experienced guy -- and as such surely recognize that today's graphite 5 in many cases has as much backbone as the 8 weight glass rod of 30 years ago, and nobody would be faulting anybody for fishing salmon with that.

I agree this guy is doing something dumb, but I don't think we need to get all sanctimonious about it.
imxer, baseman1, plecain and 1 others like this.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:23 PM

Add in the heat of the summer, resident fish in the river for a while stressed low water = death, you do the math
Old 08-16-2014, 05:18 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Lots of guys love a big fish on a small rod, "because of the fight".
I believe the goal is supposed to be, get them in as soon as possible, not play them to exhaustion.
I'd rather fish alone than with someone who doesn't respect a fish, any fish....
I'm not the fishing police, but, if he didn't learn, my fishing schedule would be full in the future.....
Once played a 10lb steely on a 5wt spey and felt like an ass. Still do....
Bring the tool for the job whenever you can.....
Jim
Old 08-16-2014, 06:10 PM

Bigfly

You are bang on unless your intentions is bonking them

THE TUG IS THE DRUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
Lots of guys love a big fish on a small rod, "because of the fight".
I believe the goal is supposed to be, get them in as soon as possible, not play them to exhaustion.
I'd rather fish alone than with someone who doesn't respect a fish, any fish....
I'm not the fishing police, but, if he didn't learn, my fishing schedule would be full in the future.....
Once played a 10lb steely on a 5wt spey and felt like an ass. Still do....
Bring the tool for the job whenever you can.....
Jim
Old 08-16-2014, 06:14 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

Quote:
heat of the summer, resident fish in the river for a while stressed low water = death
You've got a lot of assumptions going here, some of which don't really match with the conditions that have been prevailing in the Northeast this year. In any event -- I think we all get it that someone's doing something dumb here.

Still, I don't think we fly fishers help ourselves or our favorite fishes by acting holier than anyone. Try it on the other foot -- you're fishing, doing your thing, acting as you think it's appropriate to act, and somebody who doesn't like your practice because they know better cuts off your fish? Steps on your rod? Sounds more like the overture to a fistfight than the opening to an educational exchange.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:01 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I wouldn't go to The Extremes as treading on his Rod even though I might think about it I just wouldn't Fish with Him or tell him what I was catching Fish on.
What has been mentioned is very true as I've often read where people think catching large Fish on Light gear is OK The only thing good about it is it's good for is someone to brag about catching Monster Fish on Lightweight gear.
We are having the same problems over here where we have a Lake with Rainbow & Brown Trophy Fish where Browns have been caught to over 13lbs & Rainbows to over 10 lbs however I haven't been so lucky as the largest Rainbows & Browns I've managed to land have both been a little over 7 1/2 lbs as I only Fly Fish & The largest have been caught by The "Lure Chuckers"..

At present the Rainbows are trying to Spawn which is made difficult as the only time there is any Waters Running in is after either very heavy Rain or A good Snowfall & there are lots of people trying for a Rainbow Trophy 10 lbs & over however because of The pressure after similar events last year I believe we lost many of these former Large Fish even though they were mostly released after a Photo or two because they couldn't get back where they could get heaps of Oxygen to survive.
My reasons being I haven't heard of as many large Fish being Caught this Winter ??? maybe I could be wrong ???
Brian