The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2014, 10:36 AM

tedwin183 is on a distinguished road
Default Advice for slow, deep pools.

I was up in the Driftless area last week and one of the creeks I was fishing had several slow, deep pools that were very long and narrow. There were lots of bigger fish holding in the middle and tails of these pools, where the water was the slowest. I tried slowly drifting an indicator with basically every fly I had in my box, then switched to terrestrials on top, and nothing would get them to move.

So my question is how would one go about attacking this type of water? This is my first year chasing trout, so a lot of this small creek fishing is very new to me.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:19 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Advice for slow, deep pools.

Are you sure they were Trout?

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY
Old 08-18-2014, 12:02 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Stripping streamers is the ticket. I don't overly enjoy fishing that kind of stretch because it's devoid of much of a drift but they can be very productive. I've watched my fishing bud pull out loads of fish and often some larger sized ones from sections of water like that.
imxer and hairwing530 like this.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:59 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

Two ways I fish those stretches...either go the streamer route if the water is a bit murky or it's a dark day, or use a dry fly and dropper. This time of year I'd probably go with a big generic hopper pattern like a Stimulator, with a small, size 18 or 20, bead head nymph hanging off it on 2-3 feet of tippet.
siege likes this.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:53 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I don't want to sound like Captain Obvious, but fish where the fish are. I like fishing deep in areas like that. Try a beadhead, or sinktip to get down. If the fish are holding where they are comfortable because of cover, or better water temperature, they may stay put and not waste much energy chasing a small morsel. Get to their level, and make it worth their while.
Good luck !
cab likes this.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:46 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

The thing about deep pools are that they are the sanctuaries for the trout.

Think about why a fish would be in the middle of the pool. The best spot to feed is at the head of the pool. Second best is where the food is concentrated at the tail of the pool. The worst spot to gather food is deep in the middle. IF they are at the surface in the middle of the pool then that is evidence that they are looking for food, Not so if they are down deep.

So there is a good chance that the fish that are there are resting and not in a feeding mood. They may be fish that feed at night and the pools are where they rest during the day. They may have just gotten a good meal.

To catch a fish they have to either be feeding or in the mood to feed. So if you are confident that the fly got down to the fish and you got a good presentation, I would just move on when you get refusals.

Knowing where the "active" feeding fish are going to be is part of reading the water.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-19-2014, 11:58 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

I fish it slow and low.

I try to figure them out on the dry.

On a small creek....make your first cast count. Be patient and pick your spots.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:52 AM

effisher is on a distinguished road

Take off the indicator add some splitshot and tight line it. If you can see them and they're still not taking then you have to get it right in front of their face. Basically you've been spotted and they are laughing at your efforts in trying to catch them.
ts47, cab and siege like this.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:46 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Lots of good advice above.

I've found that fish in places like that rarely take the flies that seem to be working just above or below those pools on the stream.

Try something different - streamers instead of dries; dries instead of nymphs; just so it's a different type.
siege likes this.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:40 AM

patrick62 is on a distinguished road

I'd probably go with the big dry fly as indicator and a nymph on a dropper, and add a) more tippet on the dropper and b) more weight than usual. Tungheads are useful in this scenario.

I would also approach it from upstream, which sounds crazy, but I find trout in this situation are stimulated to feed by the rising nymph.

That means getting down low above the deep pool and waiting 15 minutes or so, while pretending to be a bush. Then a series of short casts, each time getting a little longer.

All easier said than done.