The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By furnacefella
  • 1 Post By furnacefella

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 01:29 PM

furnacefella is a jewel in the roughfurnacefella is a jewel in the roughfurnacefella is a jewel in the rough
Default A Tip for New Guys on the Long Follow

I guess this kind of relates to the deep pool thread but comes into play very often on well fished waters. Nearly everyone knows that a riffle like pictured below is a great place for a Brown to hide and await lunch. In fact from above this riffle I could see a large Brown laying. Most folks throw a cast above the riffle, let it drift in and repeat.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

In a perfect world the trout attacks from down stream and gulps the fly as it enters the riffle. What a lot of folks don't realize is the distance a wary Brown will follow a potential prey if he has been hooked before. This old warrior followed a hopper nearly 20 feet before committing to the take. You can see the riffle on the far left.

The trick here is a side arm cast directly up the center of the river with exactly the right amount of fly line in the air to reach the riffle. Cast as if you were actually going 10 feet further and stop the line abruptly. The fly will circle the line and land 90 degrees to the left (for a right hander). You will want your fly just to the stream side of the riffle in clear water like this rather than plopping it right in there. His peripheral vision will pick up the disturbance without him becoming alarmed. Timing is everything so this is a cast to practise. Now you are able to strip the fly line without drag and away from sharp eyes and you have eliminated the chance of landing your line/fly on top of the fish spoiling your chance.

The trout will be coming toward you on the take so allow him time to turn before setting the hook. You will know you are in for some fun if your 5 wt. bends over like this Zenith.

Obviously a trout this size has seen many flies on public waters. Sometimes all it takes is a slight change in presentation to give you the advantage. Two other fly fishers had just tried this spot and there was numerous tracks on the banks.

You can get a perspective of size here.

And with a little more knowledge in his arsenal, he is off to keep us guessing another day.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:08 PM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: A Tip for New Guys on the Long Follow

Great pictures and advise. There is a riffle just like that on my home stream that I've always fished across and down with good luck but your idea sure sounds like a winner to me.

Thanks!!

Tight lines,

Joe
Old 08-24-2014, 03:16 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

Nice work!

Knowing how it is with browns in skinny summer water, I'm surprised the fish wasn't spooked by the vibes from the other guys passing through.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:41 PM

furnacefella is a jewel in the roughfurnacefella is a jewel in the roughfurnacefella is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirabelasunshine View Post
Nice work!

Knowing how it is with browns in skinny summer water, I'm surprised the fish wasn't spooked by the vibes from the other guys passing through.
They are super spooky this time of year but generally work back into feeding mode after 30 minutes or so. They often make a big circle back and around checking for fishermen. I have watched them for hours from the elevated banks above and their behaviour is very surprizing. Cattle can crash along the banks and get hardly a second look. All trout will vanish and a minute later an Osprey will glide quietly by a 100 yards up. This is why I believe the upstream cast is so important to master. Casting from the opposite side directly across generally spooks them or they are gone before you get into position.
mirabelasunshine likes this.