The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2014, 03:05 PM

dhs19trout is on a distinguished road
Default Steelhead in New York

Hey guys, me and my dad are going up to New York this winter And I'm having a tough time deciding which flies to buy/make. Any suggestions??? P.S, their are salmon in there too.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:48 AM

jdean is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Steelhead in New York

Not sure where in New York you will be fishing but I can tell you what I use in Ontario for fall Steelhead. You cant go wrong with your basic fly patterns. Wooly buggers in black and olive, stonefly nymphs, Hares Ear nymphs, white Zonkers and egg patterns. A good selection of these will allow you to use an indicator rig and even swing a bit with the Buggers and Zonkers if you wish. Sizes vary but egg patterns in 10-14 and your nymphs a bit larger and your WB's and Zonkers between a 6-10 (sometimes even a bit bigger) Of course take all these with a grain of salt and feed them the size they want on your river.

Hope this helps

John