The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2014, 01:35 PM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice
Default Cali Trout?

i will be in CA early next spring.....my wife is in a wedding in yucca valley. could someone fill me in on any general tips for the area or how far i need to travel to find trout streams? plan on packing a 4wt glass rod and small box of nymphs and dries.

thanks in advance!
Old 09-22-2014, 02:06 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Cali Trout?

bmbailes, that is considered Socal, and is about classic high desert.
Little fly stuff close by. Check the south west region for local info.
I'd guess about 1.5 to 2 hours would get you to "water". If there is any next year.....
Google Deep Creek, or maybe Angeles Forest streams...San Bernadino forest streams as well.
If I lived there (which I did) I give fishing flies a break, or move......
Good luck.

Jim
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:36 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

I live nearby and will either take you or set you up if I can't go. Our snowpack will have a lot to do with my availability and the trouts, but there are plenty of opportunities in the area. Do you have a firm date of the ceremony? milt
mcnerney, fredaevans and sheepdog like this.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:16 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Milt, Super nice to offer.....
But, plenty of opportunities?
Maybe I should have stayed there?
You would say less than a hour?
I may look you up if I'm down that way.
Think snow.

Jim
mcnerney likes this.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:52 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Well, relative to the amount of sand available, and you did make the right move, just keep that King fire at bay. If we do get snow I'll prolly be in Mammoth. Here is a local, most aren't this big tho. milt [IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
mcnerney, Bigfly and lgfrommv107 like this.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:30 PM

They did have water up there last week, but it was unfishable. milt Deadly flash flood rushes through Hi-Desert community | News - Home
Old 09-23-2014, 08:44 AM

bmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nicebmbailes is just really nice

milt spawn- i'll get the exact dates from my wife and shoot you a PM. thanks for the great offer!!
milt spawn likes this.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:07 PM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice

bmbailes, all good advice given in the replies above. I would add that if you are coming from an area that is normally frozen over that time of year, you will find the lower Owens river to be in fine form all winter through springtime - - perhaps my favorite legally fishable trout water in California for that particular season.
I went last February, and on the drive up, listened to the Orvis flyfishing podcast about how to cope with winter flyfishing doldrums (reorganize your flybox, learn to tie new flies, etc.). Then, we pull up to the "5 mile C&R" section of the lower Owens, and it's sunny with billowy clouds, clear, low 60's, gentle breeze, majestic eastern Sierras in the backdrop, and the trout are rising for a mayfly hatch around 11AM. Most trout were between 9-18" long.

It's a good 4.5 hours northwest of Yucca Valley, so it's not something you'd do in a single day (unless you're a real fishing animal).
Old 09-25-2014, 04:43 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
They did have water up there last week, but it was unfishable. milt Deadly flash flood rushes through Hi-Desert community | News - Home
If you've never seen a flash flood you have a 'life experience' coming ... just don't get trapped in a high walled 'dry stream bed.' You could well be 'toast.' Business Assoc. lived/fished in Southern California and when they saw storm clouds building over the Mountains they got the hell out of there.

fae
milt spawn likes this.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:29 AM

lgfrommv107 is on a distinguished road

There's a handful of spots. I was up at deep creek last weekend. There's a few decent holes but most become occupied by loud groups of people who disregard leash laws or even bother to control their animals. I know I sound like a 57 year pls retired person but am just a 24 yr old kid tryin to fish! Also check out jenks lake as well as the Santa Ana river off hwy 38 which is very close to jenks lake. I'm not familiar with the Angeles forest and I do know there are some pretty fair spots to get into. If any of my fellow socal forum-ists could point out any points of interest I would appreciate it!

-tight lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk