The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 09:30 PM

yankees12 is on a distinguished road
Default I love FLYFISHING

Yesterday was a monumental day for myself. Being only a measly 15 years of age, I caught my first wild brown trout. Throughout the day nothing seemed to be biting and I was becoming extremely frustrated. I have fished this place before and my only success were suckers but yesterday was different. I first had an Adam as an indicator and a hares ear as my dropper nymph. First fish, I saw my Adams stop right before I set the hook I see a brown open his mouth and out goes that hares ear, boy I was .

I then reached the next spot under a bridge, where I remembered "hey I saw my friend scare a huge brown trout down the river at this spot, maybe there are more here" So the novice I am decided that tying a woolly bugger on 6x tippet would be a good idea, NOT! I start stripping in the bugger and BAM a huge hit and it feels like I hooked a whale and then SNAP there goes the wooly bugger. I was disgruntled and angry but deep instead I said to myself hey if that trout took it I must be doing something right.

So, I head to the next bridge and decided to get rid of the Hares Ear and tied on a Copper John, the main reason being because I thought the fly looked cool . Okay, straight copper john nymphing, throwing the line down river, letting it flow down and repeat. About the 5th cast in I feel it, BAM a hit, and I feel the fish is on. No fight at first, and I thought stupid suckers. Let me tell you one thing though, when that brown surfaced it took off like a rocket, diving, jumping trying to spit the fly. I was too excited and consternated thinking I have hooked a sucker on 'roids, but no it was my first wild trout. I pulled him in, saw it was my first wild brownie and literally screamed, calling for my mom to get the camera on her phone. I knew how important this fish was so I kept him in the water, made sure my hands were wet, took 2 pictures and revived him. I saw him swim away and was probably the happiest moment in my life. Better than catching any stocked trout pushing 20+ inches or saltwater fishing for flounder and blues I had finally caught my first wild trout. Even though he was only about 10 inches long, the time I have spent reading, watching, and learning how to catch these beautiful creatures had paid off. This moment will stay with me forever as I have discovered the wonderful art of fly fishing, and not only will love it for the rest of my life, but hopefully pass it down to my children. I LOVE Flyfishing for trout.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I love FLYFISHING

Good for you Yankee, glad it finally happened for you.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 03-16-2008, 09:49 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Congrats yankees12. Thats a great experience for ya. So did your Mom get the pics? Share if she did. Where were you fishing?

Davo

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-16-2008, 10:15 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

You're a sharp, literate kid for 15. Hope to read more of your fly-fishing experiences.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:26 PM

Yukon Jack is on a distinguished road

Grats Yankees12, Thanks for sharing the moment with us very cool. The best part is the next thousand you catch will be just as exciting.

Yukon Jack
Old 03-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
You're a sharp, literate kid for 15. Hope to read more of your fly-fishing experiences.
I'll second that. Your instinct to think about HOW you hooked a fish that you broke off right afterwards will help you TONS in this sport as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:34 PM

yankees12 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, I am so excited to go again. Also, I was fishing in southeastern, Pa in my home town called Unionville. There is this 771 acre preserve called The Laurels that has pristine trout stream right through the heart of it. MY mom took the pitctures on her phone so I will somehow figure a way to get the pictures up. I can't wait to go again, hopefully my mom will take me when she gets home from work.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

With your mom's cameraphone, try sending a "pix message" to your email address, save to "my pictures" under "my computer" and upload them either to your album on this site or a site like photobucket, flickr, etc. That's how I did my "3-15 report".

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:12 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I lived outside Philly before moving to Jackson Hole to become a guide. You have a lot of great fishing in Pa. Keep us posted about the new places you discover.

Davo

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-17-2008, 08:44 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road