The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By rocketbomb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2014, 11:45 AM

rocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the rough
Default Didn't get skunked!

Finally going to post some pictures from my first overnight trip to a cold water trout stream. After a couple tough weeks at work, I decided I need some fishing, and not only that, a nice relaxing night of camping. Checked the forecast and though it was a bit windy (when isn't it in Nebraska?) otherwise it looked pretty good.

First things first, the view from camp. I loathe campgrounds unless I'm the only one there, and that was the case. The view was OK. Fire pit nearby, picnic table that wasn't too dirty, and good access to fishing.
Click the image to open in full size.

Hike across the parking lot, wade a little bit, and you see this.

Fished that stretch of stream for a little while, but didn't have much luck. I have decided to start calling it the Wind Tunnel as it is fairly open and aligns perfectly with the prevailing winds of the area, making it challenging on most days.

Headed to another stretch of the stream and fished it pretty hard. Had a few small browns on and never landed them. Didn't see any rainbows except for one place, and the clouds moved in and dropped some light drizzle from time to time. Not the best of conditions, and the fishing was frustrating, but can't say I regret any of it.

After fishing most of the day away, I left for one more try at another spot, and landed one fish.

The view from camp in the evening was good.

The next morning I hit it again after a good night's sleep.

Called it a trip after a lot more work for no fish and headed home to get some stuff done. Very refreshing trip.

Oh yeah, I didn't get skunked. Caught a whatever this is:
Old 10-23-2014, 11:48 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Didn't get skunked!

Great trip report and photos, thanks for sharing!

Old 10-23-2014, 10:48 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

A good night's sleep + avoid the skunk= success!

CAB
Old 10-24-2014, 02:31 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Whether or not you caught a bunch of fish those are some real interesting streams and you obviously had a relaxing time of it. I go fishing and sometimes I don't catch anything but a limit of peace of mind. Just being there is the largest part of any day on the water.

Ard

PS. I would say your fish was a Silver Chub, they are common in many waters across the country.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-24-2014, 11:25 AM

rocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the rough

Figured it was some kind of chub, but I like my name for it better. Thought I had snagged on a piece of gravel again and gave the line a good jerk, and that's more or less what I exclaimed as the little fish whizzed right past my head as I had jerked it right out of the shallow water.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:27 AM

mootsfly is a jewel in the roughmootsfly is a jewel in the roughmootsfly is a jewel in the roughmootsfly is a jewel in the rough

You got out to fish, enjoyed yourself and didn't get skunked...sounds like a succesfull trip!
Old 10-24-2014, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice place to fish
good water to fish on sight....
Old 10-30-2014, 03:18 PM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

Crystal clear water! Did you have to hide in the brush so as not to be seen? Looks like you could sight fish (my favorite) pretty easy in those waters.

Great pics
Old 10-30-2014, 03:43 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

I think the technical name for the fish is the maximus jawuos. It translates into fresh water large jawed mako shark. Those are some great shots.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 11-05-2014, 12:52 PM

mr_e will become famous soon enoughmr_e will become famous soon enough

shoulda had your ghillie suit. fish ninja style and i bet u woulda done fine