The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2014, 08:39 PM

lycokayaker is on a distinguished road
Default Help?!?! Private Stocked Water With Fed Fish

Hey Gang

The title is the cliff notes version. I am a member of a private fishing club that owns a couple of miles of stream. The stream is stocked with brown trout and we have feeders on the property to keep the fish in our water. The feeders work amazing the trout are huge now 20-28 inches in size. When we stocked the water this spring they adjusted well and took flies all day long. Now they have slowly drifted away from flies and have fixated on the food. I am looking for a silver bullet at this point. Hopefully someone else has gone through this issue. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem aside from getting rid of the feeders? The stream I fish several years ago when we had a bad drought and high temperatures all but dried out killing most of the aquatic life thus the feeders. Looking for any ideas!

Bill

Old 11-12-2014, 09:38 PM

smilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nicesmilingduck is just really nice
Default Re: Help?!?! Private Stocked Water With Fed Fish

Tye a fly that looks like the food/pellets you are feeding the fish!
grtlksmarlin likes this.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:54 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

+1
As someone pointed out in a different thread, if the fish are fed with a bunch of pellets at once they might be keyed in on the sound of multiple pellets hitting. Doesn't mean you won't catch any on a pellet fly but might not be as effective as you'd think. Have a relative with a trout pond behind his condo. He tosses out dog food from time to time and it looks like shark week. I've caught fish on a single pellet fly that looks like the dog food but if he throws out a small handfull while my fly is out there then it is crazy. Not the kind of fishing I seek out but not a bad way to show a little kid a trout or have them catch their first since you get an aggressive surface strike.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:16 PM

A pellet fly was created, does it work yes. I am proud to use it no hence why I am posting here.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:17 PM

BigJim2x is a jewel in the roughBigJim2x is a jewel in the roughBigJim2x is a jewel in the rough

The question this one begs for is it just a regular pellet tie or should he use some uv material too?

2x

Actually biodiversity has a way of rebounding if it was just drought and not chemical runoff from agriculture or manufacturing. Turn over some rocks and see what kind of nymphs are there and how many and you should get a good idea of the health of your waters and what kind of flies to use. If it is very healthy maybe you should discuss with your group about stopping the feeders. Another idea is if the size of your brownies is in the 20" - 28" range think about using a streamer. Just my two cents.

2x

"The world is big, and I want to get a good look at it before it gets dark". John Muir

Last edited by BigJim2x; 11-12-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:06 PM

sndmn11 has a spectacular aura aboutsndmn11 has a spectacular aura aboutsndmn11 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim2x View Post
Another idea is if the size of your brownies is in the 20" - 28" range think about using a streamer.
An unweighted egg sucking streamer pattern with the "egg" dog food colored and sized, Twitch it like a fingerling feeding on dog food.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:16 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Years ago, I had a caretaker position, on a pay-to-play lake.
After a while the bite would slow....
Mainly because all the guys wanted to fish a dry. (Why is that?)
After a while the fish get tired of being stuck when rising.....(warming surface temps too....)
I believe that's called negative re-enforcement.....a bit like calling your dog, and slapping him when he comes.......
Every other guy wanted to fish a hopper, or an ant, or a Calibeatis dry.
I always say, watch closely, what everyone is doing, then don't do that.
Now I believe in taking the game to the fish, and this is where I learned it.
Fish under a dry, a bobber (with a short-to-long drop), or sink tip it with a streamer, and vary your retrieve.
Also, don't fish when everyone else fishes, they learn our schedules...
Try putting some sneak on as well...don't stroll to the water.
Happy fishing....

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 11-13-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:45 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
+1
As someone pointed out in a different thread, if the fish are fed with a bunch of pellets at once they might be keyed in on the sound of multiple pellets hitting. Doesn't mean you won't catch any on a pellet fly but might not be as effective as you'd think. Have a relative with a trout pond behind his condo. He tosses out dog food from time to time and it looks like shark week. I've caught fish on a single pellet fly that looks like the dog food but if he throws out a small handful while my fly is out there then it is crazy. Not the kind of fishing I seek out but not a bad way to show a little kid a trout or have them catch their first since you get an aggressive surface strike.
That was me
I've had plenty of time to experiment with all this during the time that I worked at a local trout hatchery and ran the state "pay-to-fish" ponds
Trout most likely hit a single "pellet fly" for the same reason that they'd take any attractor type fly.
Because it looks like it might be food.
Go to a hatchery and throw in a single pellet. Nothing will happen. Then throw in a hand full.
Like William said... It's a feeding frenzy.
At the "pay-to-fish" ponds, there'd be kids coming in to practices their fly casting.
I'd help the kids with their casting and then, just so they'd catch a fish, I stand behind them and chum.
A single pellet never worked.
A handful always did.

Trout that are fed pellets will take natural foods.
They can be very particular though. Contrary to "common knowledge"
lycokayaker likes this.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:53 PM

am I better off throwing dry fly attractor patterns since they like to slurp down there food? The water is deathly slow so it gives the fish way to much time to look at a nymph and they aren't taking them. Streamers were working for the past month now they to have died off.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:46 AM

normmcclean will become famous soon enough

If the stream is lined with feeders there is no need to try and be a purist throw a deer hair trout pellet and have fun that's what planted trout are all about. Otherwise break out the 7x and 22 dries and be stealthy in calm water fish off your knees a size 20 tan and black weightless midge slow rolled thru the pools. Will u loose fish absolutely but that's still fun. Otherwise mix it up and try some night time streamers as long as the club allows it again red headlamps only and don't cast a beam of light on to the water.