The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Rip Tide
  • 2 Post By itchmesir
  • 1 Post By fredaevans
  • 1 Post By itchmesir
  • 1 Post By dogtownlake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2014, 06:34 AM

dogtownlake is on a distinguished road
Default Need Help on Matching Reel to Rod

I'm hoping some of you long time fly fishermen maybe able to give me a hand matching my new rod to a Pflueger reel I have. I just bought a a new Sage Response 9' 6 weight Rod and want to know will my Pflueger 1494 DA suit it. I also have a Pflueger 1495 reel also.......what one do you fellas/ladies out there feel would be the better reel to use. Some maybe asking themselves why am I using an old Pflueger, the simple answer is I just like the old style of them and they work great. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:01 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need Help on Matching Reel to Rod

I have all my 6wt lines on 1494 reels
The 1495 in front of me right now has a 7wt line on it
fredaevans and dogtownlake like this.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:02 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I agree with Rip... 1494... Will hold a 6wt line with more than enough backing... Actually have a 1594rc that's got over a 100yrds of backing and wf6f Rio gold line... Same capacity as the 1494 just with a palming rim
fredaevans and dogtownlake like this.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:16 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Need Help on Matching Reel to Rod

Ahhhh the old Pflug's .... the first truly 'bullet proof' reel ever built. Only real change over the years (other than build bigger ones) was the advent of the exterior 'palming' ring on the spool. Another million or so built and sold.

Actually I strongly suspect more of this line of reels sold than all others combined.

fae
dogtownlake likes this.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:23 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Not to mention probably the most popular reel resold aside from the ol' tuna can martins... Recently picked up a 1595 and a 1598 for a whopping grand total of $26
dogtownlake likes this.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:57 PM

dogtownlake is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I have all my 6wt lines on 1494 reels
The 1495 in front of me right now has a 7wt line on it
Thanks Rip and everyone else who replied. I had read varying thoughts in a few articles I have seen on the net concerning what reel would hold 6 weight line the best and a number went to the 1495. I just thought with my limited knowledge that the 1494 DA seemed better suited but I wanted to make sure. I fly fished about twenty years ago and put it down for reasons that even I cannot work out. Then last year my wife and I were traveling through the States and I saw a fella fly fishing in the Colorado river and the rest is history. I live in Western Australia so the only good trout streams and rivers are about three to four hours drive from where we are but I am doing my best to get down there as much as I can. Thanks again fellas!
itchmesir likes this.