The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2014, 05:35 PM

strap44 is on a distinguished road
Default Maine

Well winter beginning to set in, which means its time to start tying flies again for this guy. I just got invited to Vacationland this spring to fish some landlocked salmon at Rangeley (spelling?). As I prepare to start tying flies I was curious if anyone on here had suggestions (still learning the ropes but willing to try whatever). All I've gathered is the Gray Ghost. Also began wondering if my steelhead set-up will work for the LL salmon (10' 7wt or could borrow a 9' 8wt)?

Right now my friend and I are in the process of planning the trip. He lives in Maine, doesnt actively follow hatches or fly fish just goes a few times a year. So if anyone has recommendations for what time of spring/summer would be most beneficial, itd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

StrAp44
Old 11-27-2014, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Maine

I'm a long way away from Maine now and it's been years since I fished there but I went almost every year from 1980 -1994. I would stick with the longer rod and be swinging those gray Ghost's and Nine Three Streamers to those salmon if I were in your waders. try to get the flies balanced so they swim well and you should be all set.

Ard
strap44 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-27-2014, 07:01 PM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

You may also want to check this forum out:

maineflyfish.com

I registered with them the other week. I fished the Kennebec & Moose but only for a couple days before then end of season and start of bird. The fly shop in Greenville is a good resource and I plan a couple trips up next yr. Late April - early May is streamer time ...big streamers too , sounds like a job for the 2 hander.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:26 AM

swampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the roughswampdonkey is a jewel in the rough

Thats a beautiful area and should be a great trip. You don't necessarily need a 7 or 8wt though. I used to fish them a lot on a 5 or 6wt. We used to use a pattern called the Golden Retriever....its basically a variation of a wolly bugger. Tan and white always worked best for us.

The Golden Retriever

In the summer we always did well on large dries. Ausable Wulffs, Royal Coachmens, etc.

Springtime we normally would just use streamers. If you go in the spring time plan ahead for bugs. The blackflies and mosquitoes are fierce. If I ever go back I would like to swing for them on a small spey or switch rod.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:33 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've been fishing the Rangeley region quite a bit the last few years, and mostly with a 6wt.
There are smaller streams where a 4wt would be more appropriate, but the three "famous" rivers are best fished with a 5 or a 6
Both this year and last my best salmon came on a black ghost streamer, but well know classic fly tier Don Bastain swears by his gray ghost wooly bugger.
The Kennebago Muddler is a local favorite too. It's basically a Hornberg with a muddler head.
Try big stone flies down deep in fast water

In May things really get rolling when the suckers spawn. I've never participated in that, but it sounds like a zoo.
Around the beginning of June, the hatches start and the black nose dace have a spawning run. The black flies are out in full force too.
There's basically the same hatches that you'd see in PA except they're a few weeks later.
Two of the major rivers are tailwaters and produce well into summer but don't expect to be alone.
We try to fish the more well known spots early in the week and then float tube some of the remote "fly fishing only" ponds closer to the weekends.
One Friday 2 seasons ago, I counted 27 other fly fishermen at the remote Camp 10 bridge on the Magalloway. We have never once seen another person on one of the ponds.

The Rangeley Region Sports Shop has a weekly fishing report in season, and Orvis has a regular report on the Rapid River.
The Fly Fisherman magazine website has a older article on the the Rapid including how to get there (not easy) and the Lakewood Camps site has a map of the pools.

Nymphing the Big Magalloway

Click the image to open in full size.

Beware the black flies

grtlksmarlin and eastfly66 like this.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:43 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Serious- don't show up without the headnet. They were so bad one day I could feel them banging into the netting.
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:33 PM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
Serious- don't show up without the headnet. They were so bad one day I could feel them banging into the netting.
It's hard to think about head nets & black flies right now and I am 350 miles south of you ! Dam it is cold out there ...
Old 11-29-2014, 09:56 AM

these go to 11 will become famous soon enough

This thread makes me wonder why I moved out of Maine, and why did I not fish more when I did live there?
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:13 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

I'm going to diverge a bit on rod choices. Many of these were caught on a TXL 00 wt., an Orvis Superfine 1 wt., or a Sage ZXL 2 wt.
If you already own some ultralight rods, I'd bring them along.

These are from Maine this month:

Happy fishing while you're here.
(Another vote for the head net. Nothing else really works. I hate them, but the alternative is not good.)
Old 11-29-2014, 12:30 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

Beautiful country up in Maine. I lived in Caribou and Limestone back in 1968 and part of 1969. I guess I really should go back someday and do some fly fishing.