Quit whining about winter

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice,

What was the air temp when you were there? Right now you need a few more layers if intending to fish for more than a little while. I was to go for 3 days beginning on black Friday but backed off because of single digits and highs in the 20's.

Is it a spring creek or just lots of springs entering?

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I can just about drive on the lake with my F-150 4x4, Then I will fish.

Nice trout and it looks like a nice day. Long sleeve weather passed by here last OCT.

eastfly66

Reaction score
I think I'll go put a couple more logs in the woodstove ......

Poke 'Em

Reaction score
It was actually warm this weekend. Highs in the 30's. Up to 2' of snow on the ground in places. It's not really spring fed, it's just high-gradient enough that it largely remains unfrozen. Water temp was probably around 32°.

flyfishingjack

Reaction score
In the warmer months, I don't have much time for tying in between work and fishing.

I love winter because there'll be stretch of days that are too cold, and I stay in to tie new patterns, etc. and then there'll be a warm day in the week to try them out.

Then spring comes and I get to use all the 'tried & proven' flies that were tied during the winter season.

jpgodf

Reaction score
No whining here. I fished a small creek nearby today. It was sunny and 68 degrees. That's a hot day in Alaska in June!

JP

clay tonian

Reaction score
Actually, I spent Sunday on the Gulf of Mexico with my wife catching Little Tuna...sunny and high of 70...no complaints here, either.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
My co workers report that they are driving full size trucks on the ice so i`m going fishing!

If it`s really cold I will just drill a hole and fish out of my truck window. But with a fly.:eek::)

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Below zero today high of like 2 or something. Watching the weather makes it worse, I just try to live my life ignore the weather report and dress warm. I work outside all winter but after deer hunting this year nothing feels cold. I sat in my treestand all day in 10 below but I got my deer.

Vulpes

Reaction score
Blistering high of a whopping 3 degrees and so far we've gotten around 65 inches of snow. 30 degrees would be a wonderful thing. But, I enjoy the cold...not so much the snow but the cold yes. :thumbsupu

patrick62

Reaction score
It's possible to fish the Housatonic and Farmington until there are ice chunks floating by, but it's not much fun, to be honest.

Plus I have an honest-to-God case of angelr's elbow. I fished hard this year. I'm gonna kick back and try to get interested in skiing or something.

photoguy

Reaction score
We didn't make the day after Thanksgiving as planned, but did make it out 2 days after. Air temp was mild in the 40's in the morning water about 34. The day did warm up with the sun into the low 50's. Planning on getting out as long as it's not snowing too hard.

chechem

Reaction score
We didn't make the day after Thanksgiving as planned, but did make it out 2 days after. Air temp was mild in the 40's in the morning water about 34. The day did warm up with the sun into the low 50's. Planning on getting out as long as it's not snowing too hard.

I think those fish can see you there. ;)

plecain

Reaction score
Not whining. At least not too much.

The weather report for today was "mid-to-upper-40's". Even on the drive to the river, that's what they were saying.

It wasn't close. When I left the river, the thermometer on a local bank said 32°. It was colder 7 hours earlier.
Still, I'm glad I went. I built a 7'6" 1 wt. rod on an RDP blank last month and wanted to try it.

The split-ring reel holder came loose once while I was landing a fish.
Other than that, and icing, it worked very well.

The fishing? The fishing was good. Maybe because of the weather, I was all alone on the river. The 1 wt. got a pretty good workout.

These colors are just as they came out of the camera.
My wife asked if I'd enhanced them. I did not.

Last edited: