The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2014, 09:16 PM

mclancy94 is on a distinguished road
Default Using Split shot for first time

So as winter comes in here in NJ I have been nymphing 95% of the time but do not think i am getting down far enough so i purchased Orvis's split shot today and have a few questions. First what is the most effective set-up? am i going to lose alot of flies now? Is there a trick to casting? Any info would be great
Thanks
Mclancy
Old 12-02-2014, 09:27 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using Split shot for first time

I put my shot a ways up from the fly - 15" or more if possible. This gets the rig deep but lets the fly move more naturally. Getting the flies deep will likely result in more lost flies, though having the heaviest part of the rig hookless (the shot) will help with this to some degree. As for casting, when the rig gets heavy do more of a lob. If you're in current you can let the rig drag downstream and use the water to load the rod as you toss it back up stream. Not the prettiest but it works. Also, I like to avoid really casting weight as much as possible since shot or beads hitting the rod can cause fractures.
mcnerney, Bigfly, cpiercem and 3 others like this.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:32 PM

mclancy94 is on a distinguished road

Do you put it on directly to your tippet?
I have read some people put it on a tag end as a noobie how is this done?
Any other ways to rig up?
Old 12-02-2014, 09:38 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Nymphing Tactics

http://www.fishingtips101.com/f-tips...mph-setup.html

Fkrow likes this.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:40 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I put the split shot just above the knot where the tippet and leader are joined together. There for awhile, as I tied the tippet to the leader, I would leave a little tag end approx. 2" long (on the part that pointed toward the water) and that is where I would put the split shot. That will help with not having to worry about weakening your rig when you crimp the split shot on, but the downside is that you have to pay close attention to make sure you still have a split shot attached. My normal rig is to have the first fly 14-16" below the split shot, then I tie tippet to the bend of the first fly and then 14-16" below that I tie on the second fly. That's what works for me, but I have seen lots of different rigs and they all seem to work, just use what you have confidence in.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:40 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I put it on my tippet. Also use the sink putty but lately have been using more shot. I don't worry about having it weaken the tippet, haven't had a break off at the shot yet. If you're worried you could drop a tippet size between the shot and the fly. Ex. if you're fishing 6x you could put the shot on 5x and then add a foot or foot and a half of 6x
Old 12-02-2014, 09:55 PM

kosix will become famous soon enoughkosix will become famous soon enough

For casting with split shot , try casting more open loops and with rod angled from the vertical. This can reduce line collisions and collisions with the rod.

Use of a 6wt line/rod and up also helps reduce the imbalance created by adding weight to leader./tippet. Think ratio of the weight of the fly line vs. weight of the shot.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:00 PM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

Hmmm, a post above reminds me of something (though you need to check the laws in your state as to rigging) That being folks will take the tag end of their tippet leaving roughly a foot long piece hanging free be it at either the fly end or leader end......and put their shot on it.

Point being that it is more than likely the shot is what snags up, and with a solid enough knot and a couple safety cinches it means improving your odds of keeping the fly and just losing the shot. It can tangle, but times I've used it with lures/conventional tackle it seemed to work well enough most times.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:29 PM

unknownflyman is on a distinguished road

I have not used shot for a long time, I use weighted flies, wire, beadhead, or slap on a sinking leader. Most of the time with small flies floating line and weighted flies work in even very fast drifting conditions. I`ll do anything not to cast shot.

I seem to hook most of my fish on the quartering down stream swing anyway unless its close dead drifting in whitewater.
ejsell likes this.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:53 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

These are two good set ups to start out with for nymphing:

Nymph fishing with a fly rod | Finspots Fly Fishing

I do not use shot. I prefer these, where legal. Used properly, they do not hang up like shot:

Click the image to open in full size.

PT/TB
gzarboni likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/