The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 14 Post By rocketbomb
  • 3 Post By Hardyreels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2014, 10:01 PM

rocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the rough
Default Winter Wonderland

Took off to get my last fishing fix for the year early this morning. Fishing spot is about 1.5 hours west, and evidently in the last storm system they got quite a bit more snow than us (we got a dusting, a solid few inches out there). Always wanted to fish this stream in the snow, but wasn't expecting it today. Wasn't too cold but just cold enough to ice up the guides a bit. I could have slept in a bit as the bite didn't start until late in the morning, but I did manage two. They were very spooky but I found some in a beaver dam that I was able to get.

Click the image to open in full size.

It's rare we get thick powder like this here, usually the wind blows it into drifts very quickly. I could have done well to have chest waders just to tromp through all the snow-covered weeds.

Only got a picture of the first fish, the second one wanted freedom a lot worse and got away before I got the camera ready.

Fished until I stepped in a hole and filled one of my boots with water. Maybe it's time to finally invest in some real waders. Was a good day of fishing overall but again I had to work for them pretty hard. Was really hoping the sun would come out and give me better light for pictures but no such luck.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:39 PM

unknownflyman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Winter Wonderland

Looks like a fun little river to fish. I`m going to have to say yes to buying some decent hip waders you will get so much more enjoyment out of fly fishing.

It`s so nice to wade and get the angles and drifts you need.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Nice RB,

Looks like a spring; about waders........ it's been 38 years since I wore hip boots and I have a reason. If you wear a pair of La Cross 18" rubber boots you will always find a spot to put one of your feet that is 20" deep. If you wear hip boots that come up your leg 34" high you will soon find a place to step that is 36" deep. The problem really comes evident when you are in the hip boots because when you feel the stream of cold water filling the boot you are generally standing in 3 feet of moving water.

When you wear chest high waders you have a few advantages over anyone not so equipped. The obvious is that 3 foot of water is doable. Second, and this one has to be my favorite, you can sit anywhere you want and not get a wet butt. Third (and there are many more) is that before you go into water so deep that you may fill your waders common sense will take over and keep you safe

Ard
mcnerney, jgentile and pheldozer like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-20-2014, 08:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

RB: Great winter trip report and photos! I can't believe you are fishing in those conditions without chest high waders.

Larry

Old 12-21-2014, 05:32 AM

rocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the rough

The weather was actually pretty nice, right around 30F and just a slight breeze, plenty warm for this time of year! This is the only place I fish regularly where good waders would do me any good, so I've never bothered investing in them. Most places I can reach across the creek with a 9ft rod and I can usually find a spot to cross with a normal pair of boots.

The only reason I stepped in the creek and went over my boot was because I snagged my fly on the bottom and wanted to try to get it back. Found a soft spot, of course, and went right in.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:59 AM

jgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nicejgentile is just really nice

Plus 2 or three on the chest high waders. They will make all the difference in the world.

Really nice little spring creek you got there. Even though the surrounding landscape was covered in snow it looks like a beautiful place. I never thought Nebraska would have something like that.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:38 PM

unknownflyman is on a distinguished road

Really chest waders? seems like overkill for that little river figuring the guy gets by with no waders at all.

I like my neoprene chest waders mostly for heat in the spring but they are no fun to get into and I rarely use them on smaller shallow rivers.

Have I ever filled my boot? well yeah but it was my own damn fault