The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2014, 08:36 PM

colin_swartz is on a distinguished road
Default need help selecting fly line

hey guys i was wondering what fly line you would recommend for me... i recently received an echo carbon 7'6" 3 weight and a redington drift 2/3 reel to go with it i will mainly be fishing smaller streams... i was thinking about going for the rio gold but i would like to hear your opinions on other types of line. also is there a certain kind of backing that you would recommend?
Thanks.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:15 AM

zug buggin is a jewel in the roughzug buggin is a jewel in the roughzug buggin is a jewel in the roughzug buggin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: need help selecting fly line

I like the Orvis Hydros line, I'm not a Orvis person but their line is off the charts. I switched 4 reels to the Hydros line in my opinion its worth the extra money. I've never tried the gelspun backing materials I only used 12lb Dacron on 4 wts and lighter, 20 lb Dacron on my 5 and 6 wts, and 30 lb on my 8 wt I dont really know how it preforms I've never had a fish take me into the backing
baseman1 likes this.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:43 AM

fuzzback is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin_swartz View Post
hey guys i was wondering what fly line you would recommend for me... i recently received an echo carbon 7'6" 3 weight and a redington drift 2/3 reel to go with it i will mainly be fishing smaller streams... i was thinking about going for the rio gold but i would like to hear your opinions on other types of line. also is there a certain kind of backing that you would recommend?
Thanks.
Get on Sierra Trading Post's mailing list and the wait for a good coupon day. They've been selling Airflo's new SuperDri Elite lines for as low as $30. It'll be the best line you ever used, and since it's made of polyurethane instead of PVC you won't have to buy a new line for the next 4 or 5 seasons.
nickel likes this.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:50 PM

james w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the roughjames w 3 3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzback View Post
Get on Sierra Trading Post's mailing list and the wait for a good coupon day. They've been selling Airflo's new SuperDri Elite lines for as low as $30. It'll be the best line you ever used, and since it's made of polyurethane instead of PVC you won't have to buy a new line for the next 4 or 5 seasons.
Shoot, you got me excited, just popped over there . . . No Elite.

You might check on Orvis Superfine in that wt, been on sale on the Orvis site. I have it on my 3wt, very nice.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:33 PM

sndmn11 has a spectacular aura aboutsndmn11 has a spectacular aura aboutsndmn11 has a spectacular aura about

Airflo Super-Dri Elite Trout Fly Line - 90

I am seeing it, and plenty in stock.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:46 PM

fuzzback is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by james w 3 3 View Post
Shoot, you got me excited, just popped over there . . . No Elite.

You might check on Orvis Superfine in that wt, been on sale on the Orvis site. I have it on my 3wt, very nice.
Pop back. I see them in 3,4,5,and 6-weights. $49 without a coupon; still a good deal. If you're on their list you'll get daily emails with "deal flyer" coupons which are well worth checking.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:53 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
rio gold
It's a great fly line, it cost a little more but you can't go wrong.

Rick
Old 01-12-2015, 03:18 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

Rio Gold or Orvis Superfine line would be my choice with the Gold as my first choice for most rods other than full flex.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:32 PM

benjohnson41 is on a distinguished road

Can anyone compare the Scientific Anglers SharkWave with the Rio Gold or Orvis Hydros?
Old 01-12-2015, 04:20 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks.
Whatever you buy, my preference in a 3 wt is to buy a DT rather than a WF fly line. I doubt you would routinely need the longer casts of a WF in those small streams and with a 7.5 ft rod 3 wt rod class. How often are you going to be casting over 40 feet (7.5 ft rod + 30 ft fly line + 7.5 ft leader).

See this thread on why I use a DT for lower line wts and see if it applies to you.

DT or WF for my 2wt

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy